OT: Scientific American on sea level rise.

ncipient collapse of part of the West Antarctic ice sheet

ens, so it's not all that incipient, but there's about 3.3 metres of sea le vel rise involved.

the ice sheet, and why the relevant lump of ice is going to slide off prett y quickly when it does let go.

ller scale.

rotect coastal infrastructure. It's going to happen sooner than 100 years b ecause the ocean temperature is taking off exponentially. And the ice is no t melting from above, it's melting from below due to water which is floodin g the land under the ice, tending to float it.

Those dumb walls were designed with static sea level in mind, they dd not a nticipate major sea level rise, which will be 24 feet in the short term. Ev ery single one of them will need to be buttressed as well as made taller. I t's an impossibly expensive task and not worth it.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

< nuclear would be the biggest step forward to eliminate CO2 and

the problem with nukes in that they are very expensive and don't respond to load fluctuations any better than wind does. if there was any economic case for building nuke plants it might happen, maybe a carbon tax would help.

Jasen Betts

Those are good ideas except #2. I don't believe third world immigration is a significant contributor to first world energy usage. You need to be careful what you do with the government because its spending constitutes a full 20% of GDP, making it possible to cause catastrophic collapse if you're not careful. You're going to have phase in any efficiency measures slowly.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

And keep them cold and sick and in the dark back home?

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

I give you credit for looking at proposals based on the merits of CO2 reduction. I know that the powers who push this are not concerned about CO2 reduction unless it lines up with lefty agendas.

Reply to
bulegoge

How soon?

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

How soon?

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

Whatever it takes to save the world. After all what does this matter compa red to the collapse of the entire planet? See, it is fun to be able to adv ocate a position by claiming that any argument against that position would logically lead to the entire collapse of the world. It really makes winnin g an argument very easy.

Reply to
bulegoge

Do you believe they are too stupid to fix their own problems?

Reply to
bulegoge

Self evidently it cannot be the truth. Who reported the stench making it across the pond to America in the middle of the 14th century? Name me just one witness. Just one! You can't can you.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Modern America was not yet in existence. Was that a trick question?

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

That doesn't sound very environmentally-friendly. I would hope they'd have the sense to hang me instead.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Cursitor Doom

So no one would be able to go to the beach for a paddle any more. Doesn't sound particularly catastrophic.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Cursitor Doom

It's worse than that. The actively *create* their own problems in the first place!

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Cursitor Doom

no

People won't want the price increases on their electric bills to pay for mo re nuclear power. A lot of the costs are hidden since they are paid as par t of the general operation of the company rather than being tacked onto the cost of the plant. Virginia Power (or Dominion or what ever their name is this week) asked permission to bill their customers for hundreds of millio ns of dollars of costs associated with planning new nukes at North Anna whi ch they are not very likely to ever build! An estimated cost of $18 billio n makes the project unworkable or at least unbillable.

So while nukes would be a good solution to the CO2 problem, they aren't a g ood solution overall.

Leftist ideology aside, I would be interested in funding research into prac tical thorium reactors. Thorium is a lot more available than uranium and i t seems to create much better reactors that generate a lot less waste which is easier to dispose of.

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

Won't the beaches just move a few blocks inland?

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

Both North & South America are part of the world, ergo, your earlier statement is untrue.

No.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Cursitor Doom

snipped-for-privacy@ieee.org wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Here is the world's solution:

Starting here in the US, but ending up in several places around the world. Build reservoirs. Not the old school item of building a dam. NEW technology.

The death valley area is 3 miles deep of that soft salt.

Place several square miles of 100' x 1000' tanks where each is lined and each is sealed from the others. That way no contamination will sully the entire reserve. Oh, guess what... since it is tanked, we can build a city over top of it. A green, lightweight city. We can use water curtains to cool the air.

Units (cities) like this need to be made, and we need to use polar ice to fill them. It ends up being a mere 'drop in the bucket', but it is better than doing nothing.

We need to store more of our fresh water.

Ideally, we should find a way to cheaply send parcels of water to the moon, like a railgun accelerator.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

snipped-for-privacy@decadence.org wrote in news:q5hjf2$r6r$1 @gioia.aioe.org:

and sealed tanks mean zero evaporative loss.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

They about to produce their own stench.

bloggs.fredbloggs.fred