OT: Saga of my quest for a small plastic spare part

I need a plastic part for my BenQ monitor (my assistant dropped it and then stepped on it). The Indian customer support was of no help (no surprises there).

I went to the Taiwanese site but it's all in Chinese. Apparently no English version. Google Translate skips the contact form. Too many mandatory fields to fill in by guesswork.

Tried to go to benq.com but always got redirected to the Indian site. Finally found a way to go to the global site but there's no contact or support information.

Went back to the Taiwanese site and manually translated the field names one by one.

Couldn't copy the button names and drop-down menu items for direct translation. Took screenshots, cropped each line and uploaded them one by one to an online Chinese OCR site, then had them translated by Google Translate.

Uploaded image of the part I need.

Finally completed the form and clicked Submit.

Site kept rejecting my phone numbers as invalid. Probably a regional thing.

Gave up.

Reply to
Pimpom

the google translate app on a phone can translate in realtime withe camera

Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Nice. Now that you've pointed it out, I remember seeing a demo of that app quite some time ago.

Thing is, I don't have a smartphone. In fact, I seldom use any kind of mobile phone. I have several wired phones around the house plus a Panasonic cordless phone. I do most of my phone communications with those.

Reply to
Pimpom

Not sure if BenQ even is in the monitor business anymore after the BenQ-Siemens collapse. You may just have to make that part.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

A few minutes after posting, I checked my mail and was pleasantly surprised to see a reply from the Taiwanese site. So at least one of my attempts to submit the online form was successful.

The let-down came when I saw that the mail was a no-reply acknowledgement saying that my submission /"coincides with the

228 National Holidays"/ and that /"BenQ Customer Service Center has suspended the service.........We will reply to you as soon as possible after work hours."/ 228 days of holiday?? Off to Wikipedia. Ah, it means February 28

- a day of past national tragedy, somewhat like the American

9/11. *BUT* 2-28 was more than 2 weeks ago. I wonder what calendar they follow.
Reply to
Pimpom

Eagle Plastic Parts Inc is a good source; quite a nice variety off the shelf. From the BabyBird (GooGull):

Just a sample..

Reply to
Robert Baer

I'm afraid it's not something I could make myself. Here's the image I sent to BenQ support -

I suppose I could make something functional, but it would definitely be a kludge.

At least BenQ still seems to be making monitors. They're offering many different models.

Reply to
Pimpom

I don't think such sites will have the part I need. Nor is it worth the price they're likely to ask for a one-off order, not to speak of the shipping cost to India.

Reply to
Pimpom

I'd probably just put a plate with six panel-mounted pushbuttons in there :-)

I never saw any in the US.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

can't just super glue the buttons to their switches, or run a piece of tape over them to keep them in place like a membrane keyboard?

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

That seems to be the only solution - if I can work up the energy to do it. The switches themselves are OK but they're not the general-purpose 6x6mm type. They're on a slim piece of pcb which is wedged onto that crushed set of plastic buttons and are connected to the logic board by an FRC via a ZIF socket. I'll probably have to make another PCB and fit a set of a different type of switch. *And* find a way to fit the pcb to the bezel.

Reply to
Pimpom

I thought of doing something like that at first but rejected the idea as impracticable. Each button is individually connected to the common frame by two thin slivers of plastic acting like springed hinges. These are all twisted and/or broken now. Even the act of straightening them is sure to break off the ones that are still attached. No glue - at least not the types I can get - will hold them for long.

Reply to
Pimpom

but is those small "hinges" really needed or are they just there to keep the buttons on place during assembly?

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

The hinges act as return springs and also keep the buttons in place. There's nothing else to keep the buttons from falling off.

Reply to
Pimpom

The redneck close to zero-cost fix would be this: Cut a rectangle out of a thick inner tube. The kind the farmer down the street took out of his tractor when it blew a tire. Or from an older motorcycle. Slit it so there will be six flaps of equal width like the old buttons. Drill and screw that in. If the membrane buttons underneath need a more pointy push area drill six holes and cinch in plastic screws.

I recently did something similar with plastic from a Sterilite box that I had left over from a job where I cut sections out. If flexes quite well, especially when filed down a bit at the bends.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Don't know if this helps, the part number is different for the keyboard and its in Canada.

If the link doesn't work its item #132447431260 on Ebay.com

Reply to
JC

Neutral cure silicone caulk is marvelous stuff, it's stretchy, benign to electronics, and indoors will probably out-last the monitor.

Sugru is another option.

Jasen Betts

OK, I do have silicone, the kind used for sealing aquaria. I'll try that if I don't hear anything more from BenQ.

Reply to
Pimpom

The "KEY BOARD P/N : 5D.L0R44.001" item on the list seems to be the small pcb with the six control switches mounted on it. What I need is the set of six plastic buttons that press on those switches.

Reply to
Pimpom

Be careful. Some of the silicone used for aquarium repair has a high acetic acid content. It's not very good for the electronics.

Reply to
krw