OT: SABRE engine

Yes, those are now the largest in existance. This same order of size would be needed to airlock a train into and out if the vacuum tube.

Yes but you cannot take over that same delay into the new system or it would lose one of the claimed advantages. (which of course is bogus anyway, but they use it for PR)

If it is more than a few minutes it will remove the trip time advantage. I bet that the time for those satellite testing chambers is more of the order of hours than minutes.

One of the big problems of rail travel is the very large required distance between trains. This is true for high-speed trains even more. The efficiency of track usage is very, very low. The developers are attempting all the time to improve it.

You are not going to be very competitive with a system with even lower efficiency, certainly not when the cost of laying infrastructure per km is even higher.

Reply to
Rob

I haven't read the details of this plan, but what level of vacuum is planned for the flight tube? Given the volume ratio of the loading lock filled with a sealed train to the volume of a many miles long flight tube, why not just close the loading airlocks and slowly vent the loading lock to the flight tube? The pressure rise wouldn't be very much in an absolute pressure ratio sense, and the flight tube pumps should be able to handle the small rise and subsequent pump down long before needing to do it again. Or, instead of venting the entire loading lock, use sealing collars around each door like they use for docking spacecraft and never vent the majority of the loading lock volume. Not saying the rest of the obstacles will ever be overcome but this part seems doable.

--
Regards,
Carl Ijames

I think it's silly to push a whole train through an airlock. If I were to design a system like that, there would be retractable docking passages between the train and the terminal, large enough to walk through. The train remains in vacuum.

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman