OT: Rust Stains on Ceramic Floor Tile

Giving our money-sink aquarium to the oldest son who's more into aquariums and maintaining it himself, we find than the steel safety pan has rusted due to the salt water exposure and left rust stains on the ceramic floor tile underneath.

Any popular home remedies for cleaning rust stains off the tile?

Thanks! ...Jim Thompson

-- | James E.Thompson | mens | | Analog Innovations | et | | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus | | Phoenix, Arizona 85048 Skype: Contacts Only | | | Voice:(480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat | | E-mail Icon at

Naval Jelly. Works great on bathtubs too.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Hey, Phil! Thanks! I have some, but didn't know it worked on anything but metal. ...Jim Thompson

It turns ferric iron into ferrous iron, which is much less strongly coloured, and dissolves most of that.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I wonder if it will work on Blue Stone ;) That CLR stuff didn't do a thing on that porous rock.

Martin Riddle

        ...Jim Thompson
     ...Jim Thompson

I thought Phosphoric acid was more of a rust "converter" for use on metals

Oxalic acid reacts with rust to form some kind of water soluble salt you can wash of, I've seen it recommended with hot water for removing rust on concrete

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

I spotted this place today, and they have a Rusty, too. ;-)

Michael A. Terrell

Worked great! I had a 2' x 8' area. Only one tile I have to go back and scrub some more. ...Jim Thompson

Phosphoric acid. Rust-converter. Actually the ironoxides are converted into ironphosphate.

Try Coca Cola. Ever wondered why they keep their recipe a secret?

w.

Reply to
Helmut Wabnig

It's no secret that Coca-Cola contains phosphoric acid. Jolt does too, and Pepsi, it says so on the can.

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

NONE of which are in ANY concentration that could or would have ANY effect on the degree of oxide caking involved here.

And if was in a concentration in which it *could* eat hard metallic oxides from hard metal rust processes, what do you think it would do to biological flesh?

Use some common sense, guys.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Clear back in high school the favorite demo was to put a piece of beef in a glass of Coke overnight >:-} ...Jim Thompson

    ...Jim Thompson
      |    mens     |
    |     et      |

commercial product called, Whink. Mild HF acid. WEAR GLOVES !!!! Gently put some on, and rust stains disappear. Then, neutralize with soda. Rinse, and done.

When I used it the first time, no gloves. BIG MISTAKE! About an hour later the pain under the nails hurt like they were burnt with matches. Learned the hard way to respect those 'sneak up on you' acids.

Reply to
Robert Macy

HF is nasty stuff. Never tried it without gloves. Though I did, in Chem lab, show off by pouring 36-normal sulphuric acid into the palm of my hand, wait for smoke, then put my hand under a water spigot ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Try Zud first. Available from hardware stores.

Active ingredient is Oxalic Acid.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn

different acids effect flesh differently

eg: compare sulphuric and hydrochloric acid,

Common sense is frequently an easy way to get the wrong answer.

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

      ...Jim Thompson
      |    mens     |
      |     et      |

    ...Jim Thompson
      |    mens     |
    |     et      |

I used to make nitrogen tri-iodide, the world's most unstable explosive, for colleagues in chem class and then quickly dismantle my setup, so the instructor would see nothing around when he appeared with accusation in his eyes. He once even said, "I know you did it." To which I'd answer, "Why do you always think it's me?" ...oh, those halcyon days. and we survived them!

Reply to
Robert Macy

[snip]

I always wonder how males survive their youth... I've watched my sons do the same crazy things ;-) ...Jim Thompson

[About rust stains on stone]

Yep, this is the winning solution: just be aware that you cannot stop oxalic acid (sold often as 'wood bleach') from attacking ANY ferrous metal object.

It works on clothes, too- just don't get it near the zippers.

The use of Naval Jelly or similar on grouted stonework is probably not a good idea; even if it doesn't attack stone, it can do the grout in. Oxalic is a mild organic acid, like vinegar, and should likewise be kept from soaking into the cement

Reply to
whit3rd

Like making 20 pounds of black powder at a time, and using empty 2 Oz glass bottles from chemistry sets to make fire crackers? ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell