OT: Road etiquette

Driving home last night I was approaching the right turn to my street and there was both a car flying up behind me, and a speedo-cyclist zipping along near the curb fast enough such that by the time I was slowing down to make the turn, I couldn't judge whether I had enough time to make the turn safely before he crossed the intersection. So I slowed to a stop to wait until he cleared.

The tailgating BMW convertible driver had to jam on his brakes to avoid hitting me, then roared around to the left while flipping the bird. The cyclist passed about two seconds later and he looks and me and shouts "What the hell are you doing? Fuck you asshole! FUCK YOU."

Felt kind of like a no-win situation, there. I guess next time I should just try to avoid turning where I need to to get home if it's an inconvenience to anybody. Stay classy, Massachusetts...

Reply to
bitrex

Another example of how people saw different things for the same incident...

John

Reply to
John Robertson

Eh, one would think that someone who sees a car slowing down and moving slightly left instead of right is trying to be accommodating, not aggressive.

I think some cyclists just like to pick fights.

Reply to
bitrex

I am not trying to distort your interpretation of the events, and stopping may well have been the correct action (I wasn't there), but from the bimmers view point you were signalling to turn right, yet you then stopped dead in your tracks. He may not have seen the bicyclist. He figured you would be out of the way by the time he overtook your position, but you changed everything by stopping. In his mind perhaps you were unsure of what you were going to do and may swing left/u-turn? He was going too fast for the situation.

Cyclist originally saw an opportunity to just keep rolling and may have been compensating for your turn which was changed totally by your stopping and he may have seen/heard bimmer coming and couldn't go around the rear of your car and had to stop/slow down...or was not paying full attention.

All three of you were in a potential accident situation.

I'm just glad no accident occurred!

John

In BMW parlance the BMW motorcyclists are beemers, and the car drivers are bimmers. Go figure!

Reply to
John Robertson

The cyclist sounds like a regular thing. Go home early and wait for the cyclist... ask him if, next time, should you just turn in front of him and knock him on his ass?

Unless, of course, you're afraid... which I suspect you really are

...Jim Thompson

             I'm looking for work... see my website.

     Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions.

Why bother? Not like they'd learn anything, anyway.

If I need a drama fix I can always just watch reruns of Dynasty on DVD. Or read a right-libertarian blog. Or pull up s.e.d.

Reply to
bitrex

What you shouldn't do is stop in front of him indicating a turn that forces him to pull out into the automobile traffic to overtake you.

If you want him to cross the intersection first, stay behind him.

Jasen Betts