OT: Rebuilt vs. Used Alternators vs Rectifiers

I have been digging around the Internet for a few days now looking at the various options of buying a rebuilt alternator vs. a used one vs. tracking down an affordable rectifier pack. Seems the parts industry uses the web and computers, but only begrudgingly. I think most of their work gets done on the phone.

The price of new, after market alternators ranges widely down to about $150 at the cheapest. Rebuilt units run from $110 up. The most likely fault in mine is the rectifier but the cheapest I can find that is $50 after adding shipping and I didn't want to wait... or so I thought.

I realized I could get a used alternator and started pricing those. A number of local places have reasonable prices listed on the web so I sent some emails. One is just a few miles from here. I waited a day and no reply so I called. I guess they just give lip service to using the Internet. The prices range from $15 for a unit on a vehicle with

248k miles to $70. Once I spoke to a couple, I found they have a core charge on top of that price! They couldn't offer me an explanation for why they have a core charge on a used unit. One said that the rebuilders have to get units from somewhere!

Turns out the local place didn't have any in stock. He said they use T100's for delivery and so don't sell the parts they get, lol.

So I'm stuck with either buying a rebuilt unit tomorrow, or waiting for one of the other options. I'm still waiting for the shipping costs from some of the used part places.

One other thought is getting a rectifier from Alibaba. They seem to be sold in minimum of 50. If they are significantly cheaper and they are as hard to find as I am seeing, then maybe I can sell a bunch on eBay and make a little change.

--

Rick
Reply to

You can buy the press-fit rectifier components from Digi-Key, Mouser, Allied or Newark. They will be just a couple $ each. Generally, they have two polarities of them, with 3 of each pressed into two isolated blocks inside the alternator. You ought to be able to find the bad one with a voltmeter, generally, they almost always fail to short. You won't be able to find the bad one without disconnecting from the windings.

It takes a bit of effort to press out the bad one and press in the new one, but it isn't rocket science.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

I've had luck just going to a local rebuilder. They even ordered the parts I wanted (a specific regulator manufacturer).

Martin Riddle

Thanks for the tip, but I can't find anything at Digikey. How do I find these parts? I can't find a case that would fit. Nothing shows up as "alternator" parts of course.

The info I have found on the rectifiers says they use 40 Amp diodes.

--

Rick
Reply to

I know press-fit packages (DO-21 is one type) used to be common. What IS the modern case type, though? DO-21 isn't in any Digikey parts, there seems to be a "B47" type that is similar (and both Digikey and Mouser have no stock, call for quote).

8AF1 and 8AF05 are Vishay part numbers for press-fit units.
Reply to
whit3rd

Why do you think the rectifier pack has given up? Normally it's the brushes.

--
Mike Perkins
Video Solutions Ltd

Mike Perkins wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@bt.com:

One thing that is possible if the wiring has ever been shorted, even momentarily is to blow one or more of the small diodes that tap the phases to feed the field regulator. Its usually possible to remove the dead ones from the diode assembly and replace with generic parts, three

100V 5A diodes will do nicely for most alternators.
--
Ian Malcolm.   London, ENGLAND.  (NEWSGROUP REPLY PREFERRED)
[at]=@, [dash]=- & [dot]=. *Warning* HTML & >32K emails --> NUL

Grab it! That's what you call a thorough burn-in cycle for a part with proven longevity. Most people burn out their alternators with stupidly excessive accessories like sound systems.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

48k miles

oven longevity. Most people burn out their alternators with stupidly excess ive accessories like sound systems.

No accessories, all original equipments on my 94 Corolla.

Go to the auto junk yard. Bring enough tools to open up the alternators th ere and just take out the semiconductors, i.e. diodes and regulators. Sort them out when you get home. I am sure you can get enough parts for $20. I was thinking about that when i had to replace my the corolla alternator, but i ended up (being too lazy) and brought one for around $100.

By the way, to the OP, what year and model is your car?

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

rote:

248k miles

proven longevity. Most people burn out their alternators with stupidly exce ssive accessories like sound systems.

there and just take out the semiconductors, i.e. diodes and regulators. So rt them out when you get home. I am sure you can get enough parts for $20. I was thinking about that when i had to replace my the corolla alternator , but i ended up (being too lazy) and brought one for around $100.

For $15 he can't lose, just change out the whole alternator. I kept a Honda going for 350K on junk yard parts after about 150K. The junk yard alternat or lasted 100k+ miles, the NAPA "rebuilt" blew in about 25k. Rebuilts are r ipoffs, most of them are not rebuilt at all, all they do is op check and cl ean them. I've had good luck with a/c compressors, radiators, wiper motors, starters, solenoids, timers, relays, you name it. Beyond a certain mileage , junkyard parts are the way to go. The only requirement is that you're han dy with installation and removal. The junkyard market inventory is totally computerized nationwide, they can always get an exact replacement, ship it in from anywhere, the days of people walking into a yard and looking for st uff are over. Oh yeah, I also replaced he whole engine on that Honda with a junkyard market engine, lasted years.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Because earlier in the thread, he stated it was making electrical noise in his radio, alternator noise, a sure sign of a shorted or missing diode. Jamie

Reply to
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr.

th 248k miles

h proven longevity. Most people burn out their alternators with stupidly ex cessive accessories like sound systems.

s there and just take out the semiconductors, i.e. diodes and regulators. Sort them out when you get home. I am sure you can get enough parts for $2

  1. I was thinking about that when i had to replace my the corolla alternat or, but i ended up (being too lazy) and brought one for around 0.

da going for 350K on junk yard parts after about 150K. The junk yard altern ator lasted 100k+ miles, the NAPA "rebuilt" blew in about 25k. Rebuilts are ripoffs, most of them are not rebuilt at all, all they do is op check and clean them. I've had good luck with a/c compressors, radiators, wiper motor s, starters, solenoids, timers, relays, you name it. Beyond a certain milea ge, junkyard parts are the way to go. The only requirement is that you're h andy with installation and removal. The junkyard market inventory is totall y computerized nationwide, they can always get an exact replacement, ship i t in from anywhere, the days of people walking into a yard and looking for stuff are over. Oh yeah, I also replaced he whole engine on that Honda with a junkyard market engine, lasted years.

It's not clear what he said about the $15 one. It's either not available o r needs shipping (probably cost more than the alternator). Also, if he goe s to the junk yard and get the whole alternator, they would charge more. I f he opens up the alternator and just get the diodes or regulators, it woul d be much cheaper. He needs to open it up anyway, so just do it at the jun k yard.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

1997 Toyota T100 with the 3.4L V6. Turns out you need the VIN to get the exact part number for the alternator, they changed it mid year. Not that it matters much if you are replacing the alternator, but if you are repairing it... I used the part number off the alternator, not that this has done me much good so far. At the moment I am expecting to get a used unit for about $50 and be done with it for a while hopefully.

My mistake was looking into alternatives after I checked on a rebuilt unit. That opened a can of worms of options, none of them very fruitful so far. lol Kinda like reading the ingredients on food. You don't really want to know, so don't look! I can't tell you how many things I won't eat now that I know what is in them. Most recently I had some vegiburgers I wasn't crazy about and bought some Boca burgers to compare them to. My GOD! They may not have animal products in them, but that is because they don't have any FOOD in them. First three ingredients, in order...

Water, soy protein concentrate, wheat gluten... everything else is less than 2%! At least the other brand is made of vegetables I can recognize.

--

Rick
Reply to

$15 plus shipping. I'll have to wait until Monday to ask about the shipping cost, plus so far every place has a damn core charge. I think that is goofy as all hell on a used alternator.

--

Rick
Reply to

I don't know if I want to be opening alternators at the junk yard and they likely won't let me do that. But I can ask. I'll have to find one with a T100. I seem to recall going to one around here some 20 years ago when I had a Pontiac wagon with a busted outside mirror. They want a small fortune for those things, even at the junk yard.

--

Rick
Reply to

with 248k miles

[...]

What's the junkyard going to do with a gutted alternator if most of their c ustomers want a whole alternator? They'll charge for the alternator. The ju nkyard business has changed, unauthorized persons are not allowed inside pa st the customer service counter, too much liability.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

ote:

h 248k miles

[...]

Your car is popular and, if the model year is old enough, chances are the j unkyard network can locate one in yard within a 25 mile driving distance. D unno what the core charge on an alternator is about...

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Soya & wheat proteins are both foods, good foods too.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Not everything people eat is food. In order to make this product they take out huge amounts of nutrition. This stuff is just crap.

--

Rick
Reply to

ul

re

ze.

Its a burger. There are protein burgers, starch burgers and vegetable & sta rch burgers, you take your pick. Burgers are seldom balanced food items pro viding all you need, but then they're seldom the only thing eaten either. N o harm in getting some complete protein.

NT

Reply to
meow2222