OT: Proudly Ignorant!

Nobody else posts as much personal trivia as John Larkin - and his opinions on climate change are silly enough to earn him a certain amount of attention.

He's a useful horrible example. If he were a less enthusiastic narcissist, he'd have noticed that I'm also rude about Jim Thompson (who does post a lot here), Cursitor Doom, James Arthur and krw.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

> --
>
> John Larkin         Highland Technology, Inc
>
> lunatic fringe electronics
Reply to
bill.sloman

Be sensible now, Cursitor Doom, he cites them at regular intervals - more o ften than he mentions having read "The Bell Curve". He even mentioned some twaddle book about rich conservative American giving more to charity than m ost, which pre-dated Donald Trump being outed for using his "charitable fou ndation" to bribe politicians (which puts right-wing "charity" in a differe nt light).

John Larkin may be lying about being literate, but it is a persistent decei t.

He doesn't understand much of what he reads - which is how he comes to coup le "Pride and Prejudice" with "A Damsel in Distress" - but he could probabl y pass a pop-test on the content (which is more than I could manage on "A D amsel in Distress" which I recall as a fun read, but not something worth re visiting).

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

First published in 1946. It does contain some great stories - Heinlein's "By his Bootstraps" is marvellously self-contained - but the field has moved on a bit since then. There's now even a science fiction writer - Ken McLeod

who knows about left-wing politics. He turns out to be a friend of one of my wife's graduate students, though I didn't find that out until I'd read most of Ken's books.

How to make money by flattering people would be a more accurate title.

If you are as slow as Dan.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

When I was young I picked up a copy of that in a secondhand shop simply because somebody had very neatly underlined passages that he thought important. Never having heard of Dale Carnegie, I took a chance that I might also find something useful in it.

I did: it is often easy, Dan, to recognise people that have studied that book - typically (real) estate agents, politicians, used car salesmen and similar people that want to subconsciously influence you.

One maxim that's always stuck in my mind, Dan, was something to the effect that "always use a person's name, because to them it is the sweetest sound in the language".

Personally, Dan, that has always made me consider fetching a bucket and sticking my fingers down my throat.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Yeah like work.

Reply to
jurb6006

I don't like it when salespeople do that either.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

On Sunday, May 20, 2018 at 11:29:19 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@ieee.org .

Just remember a better university, higher IQ , and in answer to " if you are so smart , why aren't you rich " , well I am rich.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

ere would benefit by reading.

Gee is that the reason that you used my name three times in your post?

I agree with you that a lot of salesmen have read that book or one similar to it. But you did find something worth while in it. How some people try to influence you. It is always good to have a copy of the playbook some o ne is using.

I get a fair number of phone calls that start out by asking how am I doing. Another sure sign that they want to influence me.

It has been years since I read it, but one thing that I remember is his fat her telling him to not to try to get the best deal on some enterprise, but to try to structure it so he makes money, but also so the partner is not f orced into bankruptcy. And he is rewarded by making more deals with the sa me party later in life.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

His other non-physics book, What do You Care... is good too.

His biography, Genius, by James Gleick, is really good.

lunatic fringe electronics

Sounds like I should read them again.

I hate the concept of war (I was sort of in the US Navy for a week and didn't want any more) but I have 6 shelves of war books.

lunatic fringe electronics

Those who "proudly" leave off the colon after "OT" force an extra step to killfile you.

Please be more careful in the future >:-} ...Jim Thompson

| 1962 |

Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions, by understanding what nature is hiding.

"It is not in doing what you like, but in liking what you do that is the secret of happiness." -James Barrie

Some of our best business comes from people who like us. A little conscious attention to personal feelings is good business. We sell electronics, not insurance or vacuum cleaners, so going full-Carnegie wouldn't make sense, but reading his book does makes sense, if only to recognize his principles when you see them. And as a reminder that our customers are people too.

Carnegie wasn't evil. He basically said, be nice.

lunatic fringe electronics

Mutual benefit, and not being greedy, is good business. If I am charged $300 for a $20 spare part, I'm less inclined to buy more gear from that supplier.

We usually give away spare parts. We supply schematics if a customer really needs them. We fix bugs or design errors for free, forever. We recommend competitors if they are a better answer to a customer's needs. People like that.

lunatic fringe electronics

are so smart , why aren't you rich " , well I am rich.

All of which somebody as slow as Dan imagines to be worth posting.

He hasn't noticed that if you've been to a university you should have learn ed something, that IQ tests measure something that easy to measure rather t han something that correlates particularly closely to whatever it is that " intelligence" is supposed to mean (though whatever it is Dan doesn't seem t o have it) and that he's clearly not rich enough for anybody to have notice d - when was the last time that he ate at a three star restaurant?

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

here would benefit by reading.

Almost certainly.

r to it. But you did find something worth while in it. How some people t ry to influence you. It is always good to have a copy of the playbook some one is using.

If they are dumb enough to use Dale Carnegie as a playbook, they aren't goi ng to be plausible enough to influence anybody with any sense.

g. Another sure sign that they want to influence me.

If you are in our age group, you don't want to waste somebody's time discus sing stuff that won't happen until after they have dropped dead. It's a cou rtesy, rather than a softening-up line.

ather telling him to not to try to get the best deal on some enterprise, b ut to try to structure it so he makes money, but also so the partner is not forced into bankruptcy. And he is rewarded by making more deals with the same party later in life.

Dan does get impressed by repetitions of the obvious.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Gullible customers are always nice.

Why would you need a reminder?

But I'm not a narcissist ...

Gooey nice.

--
Bill Sloman
Reply to

I can't say I'm much of a book reader, but two that peaked my interest are "Predictably Irrational" by Dan Ariely and "The Millionaire Next Door"

Reply to
amdx

Yup ;}

Yup :)

Yup :)

So very true.

One of the more worthwhile corporate courses I had was that of the "value chain". You should understand how your customer makes money from their customers, and then find a way to help them make that money. That's effectively an informal partnership that pays dividends in the long term.

If, that is, the money men value the long term more than the short term.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Agreed.

No, he wasn't evil - but he taught people how to manipulate the credulous, and that isn't to be admired.

No, he said "here's how be superficial and pretend to be nice". Rather different.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

he taught people how to sell. He sold selling.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr