OT: Propane prices

Right, at some point priorities shift. Although you never know. One guy who held a presentation at our church said he was told he had just a few more months. That was twenty-some years ago.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I should be so blessed. I've not had bad news yet, but I am old enough to know my probabilities are not good.

Reply to
John S

You would think that a $600 microwave and a $2500 stove would have some sort of backup. It's very difficult to find appliances with mechanical timers anymore and when you do, they're junk. I have no idea why the electricity is so unreliable here, other than the city owns it (and we are in the city).

Reply to
krw

[...]

but

$600 for a microwave. Yowza! Ours was around $50, late 90's. But I guess $600 or $2500 doesn't leave enough margin for a large capacitor or a Li-battery.

Maybe because the money that should be allocated to maintenance is allocated to pensions?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

but

It's over-the-range and is also the hood.

Exactly. :-(

This isn't CA. ;-) The electricity is cheap ($.08/kWh). It's normally out for only a minute or so and usually during the day when we aren't home (or whenever a thunderstorm passes through). It's just a PITA with all the clocks.

Reply to
krw

te:

ote:

0

er

ous

et

w?

for

aper.

Blame yours. The US has been running a large balance of payments deficit since Regan's time, essentially representing the cost of the oil they import.

A sensible government would have encouraged the manufacture of smaller, less fuel-hungry cars by using the tax system to raise the price of gasoline at the pump. This happened in Europe, and - rather more slowly, and to a lesser extent - in Australia.

Between the political influence of the - very-well heeled - oil companies, and nervousness about voter reactions, successive US governments have refrained from this painful but necessary exercise.

If you beleive in anthropogenic global warming there is one more argument for encouraging people to buy less gasoline, but you lack the wit to undersand the scientific case, and the critical acumen required to recognise that denialist propaganda is a heap of lying nonsense.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

but

clock

Integrated stuff is often quite bad. Friends of ours went through three (!) oven controllers at several hundred bucks a pop. After the third they were ready to ditch the whole double-oven but then the husband, being an engineer, figured out what the design flaw was and fixed it. Appliances contain a surprising number of design flaws.

Ok, this is CA so we must pay $0.15/kWh but it doesn't get interrupted much. Maybe 2-3 times a year we'll notice the microwave clock going blinky-blink. Some of those times it was preceeded by screeeeech ..

*POW* .. rumble-rumble .. then sirens. Some kid wrecked out in his hotrod.
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Thanks, Jim. Very valuable input to the thread. Not.

Reply to
John S

They don't want to spend a few pennies on a crystal.

Reply to
John S

It's easier than that. You can get the date and time from television channels. It's just software :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

How would the microwave get time from television?

Reply to
John S

Is that your idea of improving the community spirit in this user group?

John

A replacement water heater element costs only a few dollars. A heat pump is a complex piece of rotating machinery that will be expensive to fix when it fails.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Right. Water heaters tend to leak eventually. The advertised savings on a $3500 heat pump water heater could be gobbled up by the equipment cost.

Recycling the heat in wastewater might make sense, but that's messy to do.

John

nd $2.70

BTUs per

me serious

he budget

g it now?

nd

food

's

cost

t at

We use around 800 KWhr per month. First 400 for 11cents and second

400 for 22cents. Using around 15 therms or 1.5MBTU, we eliminated the second 400 KWhr. But we might also be using more or less electricity lately. Don't know or care about m^3 factor, but just care about the money.
Reply to
linnix

I meant the VCR. A $50 microwave is excused. A $600 microwave is most certainly not excused. The least they could have done is have a little backup capacitance of battery and run an RC or resonator oscillator.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

More than gasoline?

Reply to
Richard Henry

ort

rs

ity is

I have a Montgomery Ward micowave oven from early 80s I bought in a yard sale for $50. It only has 3 controls - 1 of 4 power settings, wind up mechanical timer, and on/off button. It's been working well for 27 years, but I don't use it much.

-Bill

Reply to
Bill Bowden

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

They're free, if you know how to dumpster-dive. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise