OT: Profiting from climate change

Basically my point is that there are those who make a lot of money out of fear mongering.

They all sound like old time evangelicals to me...

John

Reply to
John Robertson

off-global-warming/

Al Gore got the message when he was an undergraduate and got lectures from Roger Revell. "The Earth in the Balance" got published in 1992, long before there was any money in it.

The distinction between him and evangelicals is that he's preaching what hi s scientist friends tell him - which is based on the peer-reviewed literatu re, while the evangelicals are preaching what they got from some texts put togehter in the first century AD which purport to record the words of someb ody who wasn't subject to peer-review.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

bill.sloman

Crichton explained that environmentalism fits the sociological definition of a religion.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

t-off-global-warming/

Who is Crichton, in this context?

Environmentalism is a very broad church. If you pick your environmental cul t carefully enough, it may well look very like a religion.

Al Gore was pretty well off before anthropogeneic global warming was a fron t page story, and while he has paid a lot of attention to two specific envi ronmental issues - climate change and pollution - both of them are solidly based on peer-reviewed scientific research, and don't have any irrational c ontent at all, which does seem to be what is involved in any serious socio logical definition of a religion.

Sociology - like environmentalism - does have it's fringe elements too, but the proposition that Al Gore has made his money out of any kind irrational cult is hard to take seriously.

The $35 million in Apple stock that he has got might qualify - Apple does d o well out of it's mystique - but the $100 million he got out of the cable news network Current TV clearly doesn't.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

John Robertson wrote on 8/5/2017 1:55 AM:

What about all the industrialists who are making tons of money (or should I say metric shit tons of money?) from causing AGW?

--

Rick C
Reply to

I think he means the late John Michael Crichton, an American science fiction author, screenwriter, film director and producer. Obviously someone who would be very knowledgeable of science. ;)

I wonder if he got hot and died?

--

Rick C
Reply to

At least they're not in the Jim and Tammy Faye class, with Al and the rest of the AGW hucksters.

Reply to
krw

Only a leftist loser would confuse religion and science.

Reply to
krw

More like a Jim Jones type KoolAide peddler. Except he is not drinking from it.

Reply to
cameo

Please stop asking awkward and pertinent questions. The answers can only discomfort people.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Sorry... :-(

--

Rick C
Reply to

t-off-global-warming/

Bizarre comparison. Al Gore isn't recommending any of the anti-climate chan ge prescriptions that would kill people. John Larkin thinks that some of th e more lunatic anti-climate change people do, but he has yet to produce a s pecific quote, and I'ver got a nasty suspicion that he is uncritically recy cling nonsense from denialist web-sites.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

nothing chages with you..

Just a bunch of rhetoric garbage from your end as usually.

Reply to
M Philbrook

Pot, kettle, black.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

/

out

change prescriptions that would kill people. John Larkin thinks that some o f the more lunatic anti-climate change people do, but he has yet to produce a specific quote, and I'ver got a nasty suspicion that he is uncritically recycling nonsense from denialist web-sites.

Nor with Jamie. He probably meant to type "changes" rather than "chages", a nd "rhetorical garbage" rather than "rhetoric garbage".

The fact that he ought to have to identified the "garbage" elements in my r hetoric has escaped him. The fact that if he tried I'd have no trouble hang ing him out to dry probably hasn't got anything to do with it - he almost c ertainly just doesn't understand that if complain about a post you have an obligation to explain why you are complaining.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

There's big money in research grants and talk circuit tours, ya know! There's probably even...one MILLION dollars to be made

Truly Doctor Evil profiteering territory

Reply to
bitrex

Il giorno domenica 6 agosto 2017 01:08:34 UTC+2, rickman ha scritto:

well, he had a bachelor in Anthropology and was also a M.D.

Bye Jack

Reply to
jack4747

/

out

ction

Anthropology isn't sociology, and Crichton's efforts as an author don't sho w much evidence of rigorous thinking. I'd not class him as a science fictio n writer - nobody in science fiction seems to have seen him that way. Using half-baked science in your plot isn't what science fiction is about.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

e:

th/

y out

fiction

who

how much evidence of rigorous thinking. I'd not class him as a science fict ion writer - nobody in science fiction seems to have seen him that way. Usi ng half-baked science in your plot isn't what science fiction is about.

Actually there is such thing as Social Anthropology. I took a course in it freshman year. It is the study of social structures in various groups of pe ople. Supposedly it got its start with the 19th century British colonizatio n of areas of primitive people with the aim of learning their vulnerabiliti es and internal conflicts that they may be exploited for conquest, dominati on and control.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

"Crichton graduated summa cum laude from Harvard College, received his MD from Harvard Medical School, and was a postdoctoral fellow at the Salk Institute for Biological Studies, researching public policy with Jacob Bronowski. ...

Crichton's interest in computer modeling went back forty years. His multiple- discriminant analysis of Egyptian crania, carried out on an IBM 7090 computer at Harvard, was published in the Papers of the Peabody Museum in 1966. ...

Crichton's first bestseller, The Andromeda Strain, was published while he was still a medical student."

HTH.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat