OT: "Procedure" tomorrow

No I didn't, Kev. How the hell is the whim of one emperor comparable to the evidentially-based reasoning of 12 impartial individuals under the guidance of a senior judge well-versed in dealing with murder cases??

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

You won't find such in me, Tabitha. And I'm the keenest observer of human nature you will ever encounter.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Is common knowledge where the big T is located now? I recall her precise location was a closely-guarded secret for some time.

Reply to
bitrex

Again, you compliantly missed my point and the ethics of the situation. Its absolutely nothing to do with whether there is a valid determination of guilt. I should have been clearer, I am referring to the jury (federal) deciding whether or not to have the actor killed as "punishment".

I will repeat, as it seems necessary to explain what the actual issue is, although I find this somewhat stunning. The issue should be very clear.

12 people calmly and coldly sit on seats debating the merits of killing someone over several days, with a state sponsored judge coldly and calculating exposing all sorts of "rational" arguments as to how it is ethically justifiable to execute said person being debated. Said person is then dragged to a room with gawking onlookers watching the deliberate injection of chemicals to terminate said life.

Its about that there is no ethical difference between a group of thugs debating the merits of killing the women they have just just kidnapped, and the above.

Many will argue that because in one case the person being debated has killed someone, and the other has not, that there is a relevant ethical difference between the two cases. I don't.

As I noted, we have differences in moral compasses and definitions of what is a civilised society.

-- Kevin Aylward

- SuperSpice

Kevin Aylward

The list goes on and on.

John

Reply to
John Robertson

The point is that it is *very* few individuals. We carelessly kill more people in highway accidents every day than we mistakenly kill death row inmates in a decade. I would bet that motor vehicle deaths due to governmental errors, like the sharp curve sign that points the wrong way, are more common than innocent convicts being killed. It just doesn't get the same press.

Then there are the convicts killed while in prison because we can't/don't provide adequate security. How egregious is it for a person who was never even sentenced to death being killed because of simply being in prison?

Yes, it is terrible that an innocent person is convicted and put to death. But in reality it is no different from being run over by a truck with failed brakes or being shot unintentionally by criminals or police during a shootout or dying from the wrong treatment in a hospital or many, many other ways of dying. Not saying we shouldn't do all we can. I'm just saying it isn't the biggest problem we have.

--

Rick C
Reply to

you are basically arguing that involuntary manslaughter and premeditated murder is the same thing?

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

dude,ignore the prickman troll he talks out of his ass.

Reply to
Julian Barnes

Indeed. Irreconcilable differences I suspect. ;->

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Not at all. There is always doubt. It may be an unreasonable doubt but there is _always_ doubt (what if the Earth was really flat?). Hence, "beyond reasonable doubt".

Reply to
krw

Sure. That's why it's called "moral equivalence". Both Ricky and ShortRex are adherents to the leftist doctrine of moral equivalency.

Reply to
krw

The perp gave up his right to life by taking that of another. End of story.

Reply to
krw

But one that believes what he reads in the Express.

Cursitor Doom has a rather higher opinion of his own acumen than any rational observer would be happy to support. Julian Barnes might agree with him.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Ha! It's *never* the end of the story when you get into an argument with our Kev. ;-)

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

evidence... there's one problem. reasoning... there's another problem judge... there's a 3rd problem. I find it odd you can't see how those go wrong, but so be it.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I've watched enough groups of people judging situations to know your position is naive. Courts are in no way immune to a slew of problems.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Now there's simplistic.

Reply to
tabbypurr

It was mistranslated from, 'Thou shall not murder'. Not that you would care.

--
Never piss off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.

They don't get even.

They go for over unity! ;-)
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

It's 5 days now.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Yes, it really is so simple that even you should be able to understand.

Reply to
krw