OT: "Procedure" tomorrow

"Procedure" tomorrow (Wednesday) at 11:00AM:

Down the throat with a scope, check out the stomach, then into the small intestine, use side-looking ultrasound on the end of the probe (didn't know such a thing existed) to examine the common pancreas/bile duct, go up it with a wire, then thread a balloon up that wire, inflate and decimate the stones, then go on up and examine the gall bladder.

Possible later procedure, after the nauseous, tiredness, yellowness abates, go in thru an incision and remove the gall bladder.

Such fun >:-}

If I don't show up in a day or too... ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Good luck, sounds like fun. But you got me beat, I plan to schedule Knee surgery in a week or so.

Martin Riddle

Good luck Jim.

Reply to
tom

The "worst" part about being the type that's drawn to engineering is that it's usually the innately curious type, the kind that wants to read descriptions of how things work. Like medical procedures.

The usual result is "Well, I wish I hadn't read that."

Good luck with the gizzard transplant or whatever! ;-)

Reply to
bitrex

Knees are supposedly tough. Much moreso than hips. Word to the wise is to pursue the PT diligently. I think they now recommend strengthening exercises *before* surgery, as well!

Reply to
Don Y

Try to recover quickly. At least keep a keyboard handy so we can enjoy your posts...

John

Reply to
John Robertson

Perhaps he could ask for a friend to video the operation from the gallery? Is it voyeurism if you are watching yourself?

John

Reply to
John Robertson

When you pay out the ass for healthcare the way we do in America you'd think they'd at least have the decency to let you keep a copy of the endoscope recording.

It's your bowel, after all. I think you deserve a right to see what's down there

Reply to
bitrex

It's been around for a while. If your cardiologist wants a better look at your heart he slides - a rather bigger - side-looking ultrasound array down your throat and looks at the heart from the gullet (oesophagus).

It's a bit of a performance, but they don't knock you out for it.

It gives rather nicer pictures than you can get by looking between the ribs. Jeorg can probably give us chapter and verse. His party-piece is a side-looking array that you can slide down inside an artery, but its job is looking at arterial plaque, rather tha n anything further away.

--
Bill Sloman, sydney
Reply to

I hope it works out.

If the knee is immobilised afterward, you may be surprised at how fast and how much the quadriceps shrinks.

It might be worth spending the next week sitting down with the traditional bag of frozen peas over your ankle, then slowly and repeatedly straightening your leg.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Best of luck Jim. Mikek

amdx

Good luck Jim, hope it all goes well.

--

John Devereux
Reply to

The DVD was included in the cost for my arthroscopic shoulder surgery about 4 years ago.

Reply to
pedro

I found just the opposite. The things that bothered me the most were the things they didn't (don't) tell me. The other stuff sounded pretty bad but was a breeze.

Reply to
krw

Good luck with it. I hate stuff like that.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

You didn't give those of us in Yurp much time to pass on our wishes, Jim, so you'll be already under the knife or in recovery by now. Best of luck on getting better and don't stay away too long now. ;-)

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Sure, they found the Titanic with something similar. :)

That's a "procedure" and a hydrogen bomb is a "device."

Then you'll be back a few days later I'm sure.

http://www.avg.com
Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Not exactly. Jim may be overweight, but he isn't large enough to accommodate a towed side-looking sonar array. Diagnostic sonar is all near-field array stuff, and the Titanic was found with an array that looked at the far-field.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

I could see that. When I had severe pneumonia it was the doctor who told me "Well, we're going to have to give you a couple of antibiotic injections."

It was the nurse who told me later "Pull your pants down so I can inject them where they need to go"

Reply to
bitrex

When I was five, the doctor asked if I wanted penicilin that tasted bad or penicilin that didn't. I didn't trust doctors for decades after.

Nothing like that. I knew the surgery would be bad but it wasn't nearly as bad as they said. However, I was told the wires wouldn't cause problems but two-and-a-half years later I still have chest pain occaisionally. I had no feeling for over a year (still don't have much) but the itch can be off the scale. Once I scratched it so badly I bloodied my shirt. I didn't even know I'd done it because I couldn't feel anything.

Reply to
krw