OT: Problem with tape deck adapter

I have an older car which came with a AM/FM radio/tape deck type stereo. These days to listen to music in the car I usually take one of those line out to tape deck adapters with the "fake" tape and run it off the headphone output in my phone.

The other day when I started up this little system wasn't working correctly. It usually sounds pretty decent, but suddenly it sounded like it was being played through a bad AM radio - all the kick drum and bass guitar was gone and it sounded like there was some strange phase cancellation issue happening. The headphone output tests fine, and I tried using a different line out to tape deck adapter and the same problem is happening.

Any idea what could be going on?

Reply to
bitrex

Open ground and you are listening to L-R ? It used to be easy to check that because the source has a balance control, I bet this doesn't. But if you g ot an open common and are listening to L-R, if you find a song that is in m ono you won't hear it at all or it will be extremely low level.

Reply to
jurb6006

Thank you, I'll check that out.

Reply to
bitrex

  • your tape deck is playing the other side? (press reverse)
  • the cord to the dummy tape is damaged? (do ohms measurement)
--
  \_(?)_
Reply to