OT: predicting harddisk failure 24 hours ahead, did you know about this utility?

OT: predicting harddisk failure 24 hours ahead, did you know about this utility?

There are versions for Linux, MS, and other OSses.

A test on my active harddisk:

smartctl -H /dev/hdd smartctl version 5.34 [i686-pc-linux-gnu] Copyright (C) 2002-5 Bruce Allen Home page is

=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION === SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED

It also can print number of power ups, error rate, CRC errors, hours used, temperature, etc etc. smartctl -i /dev/hd?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Jan Panteltje skrev:

utility?

Yes since quite a long time ago.

This is what I've got the past year.

smartctl -H /dev/ad0 smartctl version 5.36 [i386-portbld-freebsd6.2] Copyright (C) 2002-6 Bruce Allen Home page is

=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION === SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: FAILED! Drive failure expected in less than 24 hours. SAVE ALL DATA.

Reply to
Sven Svensson

On a sunny day (Thu, 18 Sep 2008 22:06:38 +0200) it happened Sven Svensson wrote in :

utility?

I must have had it on my system for years, only found out recently about it through some online article.

So, I suppose you took that advice, and saved all data.... I have to admit I would look a bit closer at smartctl -a ... before I bought a new HD. But this is utility is a very cool thing, even tells you the number of hours your hd has been on. Divided by 3600 x 24 that gave me 4.5 years... for a Seagate hda,

2.5 years for the Seagate hdd. All 24/7 stuff.

I often wondered about the state of the old drive, this gives great info.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Thu, 18 Sep 2008 21:05:39 GMT) it happened Jan Panteltje wrote in :

oops 365x24 of course.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Very nice. The Windoze version runs under Cygwin. It's all part of the utilities that read S.M.A.R.T. data from the drive. Some BIOS versions also do that, but only give a warning that the drive is having a bad day.

For Windoze, I use SpeedFan:

(scroll down to S.M.A.R.T. window) It may sound like just a fan control utility, but buried in the menus is one of the few free S.M.A.R.T. reporting systems for Windoze. If you click on the "analyze" button, it sends your data to their web server and returns a human readable (and understandable) report on the condition of the drive.

How S.M.A.R.T. works:

There's also HDAT2 (free):

which offers the same reports, but also the ability to manipulate the S.M.A.R.T. registers and do some drive testing.

I've had erratic luck with these programs and others over the years. I've caught some drives just before a crash. In general, I can get about a 1 to 5 day warning before impending disaster. However, many drives simply don't report S.M.A.R.T. numbers or worse, report useless numbers showing perfect operation. Some old Maxtor drives did exactly that. Similarly, some IBM drive firmware would fail to report some important errors, such errors booting (reading from the drive firmware load tracks). Some vendor ship drives that have survived an extensive final test, and are showing errors on a brand new drive. Those are fine, but watch out if they change value in any way.

In general, if the S.M.A.R.T. report shows problems, the drive is going to fail shortly. If the report shows perfection over and extended period of operation, it's lying.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com