OT: Plumbing Pain

Plumbing Pain:

Replacing 17 year old toilet float valve.

Original installer inserted around 9" of the spiral tubing up into the valve :-(

New valve will only accept ~2".

Problem, being spiral (flex) tubing, standard copper tubing cutter doesn't work :-(

I don't want to have to replace the wall valve, very little working room between toidy and adjacent cabinetry.

Any marvy ideas for cutting off some of that tubing with hardly any working room?

Thanks! ...Jim Thompson

not sure exactly what it looks like ?? post a pic ?? how bout carbide cutter in a die grinder or drill ?

no one

[snip]

Where copper shows above the washer is where I need to cut...

Not visible: Left edge of picture is a cabinet, so there's very little wiggle room.

Since it's a compression seal around that washer (which I don't want to move due to its age), I'm tempted to simply take tin snips to it and hope I can "re-round" it adequately :-( ...Jim Thompson

               Romneycare is nothing like Obamacare
           Except for those parts which are the same ;-)

I may not have the correct picture in my mind but if I do:

The home improvement stores have a soft, flexible, tubing with appropriate connectors that are that can be looped (think single turn coil) so that a little offset of the connections will permit a zero length tubing connection. John Ferrell W8CCW

Reply to
John Ferrell

arbide

in

Don't cut it, just loop it around like a spring. It would be easier to position it anyway.

Reply to
linnix

...Jim Thompson

               Romneycare is nothing like Obamacare
           Except for those parts which are the same ;-)

Can't do that. Would require moving the washer. I fear twisting it up the tubing will ruin the seal, since it's so old.

I guess I could replace the wall valve, but that's a royal pain :-( ...Jim Thompson

               Romneycare is nothing like Obamacare
           Except for those parts which are the same ;-)

t carbide

ote in

the

Replace the washer. Put in pipe sealing compound around the tube and washer.

If all else fail, you can cut the tube with a fine tooth hack saw. I have done it before.

Reply to
linnix

Sometimes I overlook the obvious...

Using standard tubing cutter...

Rotate 360° clockwise

Rotate 360° counterclockwise

(Don't exceed 360° in either direction.)

Repeat until cut thru, then snap off from little stub remaining.

Done. ...Jim Thompson

               Romneycare is nothing like Obamacare
           Except for those parts which are the same ;-)

arbide

in

Almost. You should still replace the washer. I replace rubbers whenever i remove them.

Actually, i would have replace the tank value. You have a very unusual tank valve. Most of them are up near the tank. If you wife is like mine, who want to change things once in a while. Next time, someone might change the toilet to a more standard model with the tank value up near the tank. You will have no choice but to replace the wall shut-off valve.

Reply to
linnix

If you have to then do yourself a favor: Buy both coarse thread and fine thread ones. That way you can leave the ferrule and the nut on there. I know, goes against the grain but that's what an experienced plumber told me. He also said that on new homes plumbers often use whatever valves they have on the truck, in whatever order they come off the truck. When done bring the non-fitting one back to the HW store.

If you don't Murphy says you'll have the wrong thread, the water is turned off, you must go back to the HW store and the missus is cranky about not having water.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Ha! That's what you think. It's plumbing and you touched it. Ergo it's going to leak.

I'd shitcan that flex tubing as it's probably going to leak around the old rubber seals to the tank or feed valve. If not tomorrow, then when you least expect it - like when you are away on vacation for

2 weeks. The valve on the feed pipe may start dripping too so keep an eye on it. If it does you just need to take a 1/2 turn or so on the compression nut around the stem. Art
Reply to
Artemus

angle grinder with cut off blade ?

no one

u can always use some silicone to seal that black seal. just wait till the silicone is DRY ! BEFORE USE,

no one

Easy for you to say. You don't have to suffer the consequences when that band-aid fails. Plumbing is no place to not do it right. Art

Reply to
Artemus

Easy for you to say. You don't have to suffer the consequences when that band-aid fails. Plumbing is no place to not do it right. Art

Reply to
Artemus

=A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

=A0 =A0| =A0 =A0mens =A0 =A0 |

=A0 | =A0 =A0 et =A0 =A0 =A0|

=A0|

=A0 =A0 =A0 |

Jim,

I wouldn't feel too bad.... The clothes washer drain hose "exploded" this weekend and flooded the laundry room really good. Damn, what a mess.

Of course, the post-motem shows the old hose was a 3-part contraption glued (I guess?) on each end. Might have been a press fit, but I doubt it. Oh, and the clamp was pretty loose too. (The hose busted in the middle).

Who watches a washing machine these days....? I'm estimating about 50 gallons or so hit the floor before we noticed it. Water everywhere. What a mess!!

But speaking of toilets - someone should invent a toilet that never breaks. That person would be an instant overnight billionaire, in my opinion.

Good luck with the repairs!!!!

-mpm

Reply to
mpm

Right. But you've already risked ruining the seal on the other end by replacing the tank valve. Not to mention weakened the tube by flexing it a few times. Watch it split some time when you're out of town.

My advice: Replace the tubing. Most hardware stores carry pre-made kits of varying lengths complete with new seals.

It looks like a white plastic nut secures the tube onto the shutoff valve. If so, the wall valve stays. If not (how old is the house?) its a non-standard installation. If the shut off is sweated on, it could be a bugger of a job. If its threaded, put a standard (threaded outlet) valve on there as well as new tubing.

Excuse me for butting in, but I'm interrupt-driven.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

This was one of those marvy POS' with the tubing welded into the valve.

Biting the bullet, I bought a new valve and braided tubing. ...Jim Thompson

               Romneycare is nothing like Obamacare
           Except for those parts which are the same ;-)

That's IMHO the only way to do it right. You don't really want to kludge this stuff because an undetected leak can wreak havoc.