OT: Ping Fred III

Forget AGW. Here's something comin' down the pike a whole lot faster:

https://tinyurl.com/y4g724tj

Re: OT: Ping Fred III

Totally overblown threat, don't believe a word of it. This is not 1918, and a lot of the ineffective if not damaging practices of that era are avoided.

Re: OT: Ping Fred III

You need to look beyond that one article. The most immediate threat today
is not some novel form of bird flu, or AGW, but rather the totally
unregulated world of bedroom anarchists with cheap Chinese PCR machines
designing new, bespoke, cut & paste viruses.

Re: OT: Ping Fred III

And how did Cursitor Doom get to learn about this incipient threat?

Presumably the same way that bedroom anarchists learn how to make new viruses that are both deadly enough to worry about, but not deadly enough to kill the people they infect before they can be relied on to infect at least one more victim.

Cursitor Doom's fertile imagination can come up with any numbers of threats, but coming up with plausible threats is a little beyond him.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Re: OT: Ping Fred III

 A little insight:-

<https://britishcomics.fandom.com/wiki/Cursitor_Doom

--
Johnny B Good

Re: OT: Ping Fred III

A little more insight:-

IIRC it was the autumn of 1921 when an ailing Alf Harmsworth of what
would later become IPC first contacted me about running a comic strip
based on my valiant fight against bigotry, evil and ignorance. I told
him, "Sure, go nuts." And the rest is history.
:-)

Re: OT: Ping Fred III

Eeyore's valiant fight against what he imagines to be bigotry, evil and ign
orance has lead to him fighting valiantly, if decidedly ineptly, for actual
 bigotry, evil and ignorance. If he wasn't pig-ignorant he might have notic
ed that he was fighting for the wrong side, but then again he might also ha
ve been more effective.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Re: OT: Ping Fred III

Don't believe a word of that stupid ignorant crap. Nothing bests invention
and reinvention of new microbial entities than processes of mutation alread
y present in nature. And these processes are not a rarity looking for the i
nfrequent stroke of good luck, they occur constantly, in very large numbers
 and relatively quickly.
The viruses we know about are truly the product of the school of hard knock
s, and any modification to them whatsoever makes for a weaker performer by
way of killing the host or just plain surviving.
Some semi-retarded sociopath in his/her bedroom with the Chinese PCR machin
e is a pathetically impotent actor compared to nature in this respect.

Re: OT: Ping Fred III

Monkeys, typewriters, Shakespeare. The more nutters, the greater the
chance one of them will score.

Re: OT: Ping Fred III
On Sun, 10 Mar 2019 16:59:22 -0000 (UTC), Cursitor Doom

One duck-and-pig farm in asia probably does a trillion virus
recombination experiments per hour.

lunatic fringe electronics

Re: OT: Ping Fred III

This also works in our favor in the production of immune system white blood
 cells. The raw lymphocytes coming out of the bones to be processed by the
thymus are also vetted, usually eliminating those that would attack self, a
nd randomized to mount a defense against just about anything.

https://sciencing.com/function-tcells-thymus-gland-10638.html

Re: OT: Ping Fred III

Here's another worry for you:

https://www.livescience.com/61689-viruses-fall-from-sky.html

The Earth is swimming in these things...

Re: OT: Ping Fred III

Er, yeah, whatever. I think you're missing the point here. YOU are the
neurotic. WE, the not so anxious types here, are only trying to cheer you
up. Sigh....

Re: OT: Ping Fred III

For "not so anxious" read "pig-ignorant". The existence of gullible twits, who believe in the nonsense they are peddling doesn't cheer up anybody who isn't equally cognitively challenged.

They are the kind of people who vote for Putin and Trump.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Site Timeline