OT: Pick-em-up Trucks

OT: Pick-em-up Trucks...

...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | Political correctness and despotism go hand-in-hand.

Political correctness is just another word for control.

As Voltaire said, "To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize."

You're getting like Sloman, 100% off-topic.

lunatic fringe electronics

You're both worse, starting off-topic threads with ill-judged remarks.

Jasen Betts

Jim, where did you grow up that has you calling them 'pick-em-up trucks'? I've only ever seen that in Stephen King books.

I found this online:

...but all the southerners I know say 'pickup truck' (even the redneck ones)

Genuinely curious, thanks!

Reply to
DemonicTubes

So, because that's the only place you've seen it, it must be fact. Is that anything like "If it's on the Internet, it must be true."?

I've heard the term, occaisionally, all my life. It's nothing new.

Reply to
krw

About as much as "Questions posed on usenet are really statements of fact"...

If I really thought that, why in the hell would I be asking the question? Not only was I asking Jim, but the question was where he grew up causing that to be in his vernacular...your bitchy retort doesn't even attempt to answer the question.

Reply to
DemonicTubes

The point is, oh dull one, that it doesn't matter where Jim grew up (W. Virginia), the term "pick-em-up" isn't limited to some specific area and perhaps Stephen King didn't coin every phrase in the Urban Dictionary.

Reply to
krw

Who said he did, genius? Did that link I post flare your hemorrhoids up or something? A simple question got you awfully emotional...

Reply to
DemonicTubes

Born in Washington, DC, I grew up in Huntington, West Virginia.

I really don't know where I picked up that phraseology... I knew no one with a pickup truck (except my grandfather Thompson, a farmer in Pendleton County, WV (*)) when I was a kid, and I moved straight to Arizona after graduation from MIT.

(*) I learned to drive in that truck... an old Chevy with a throttle cable on the dash because I was too young to reach the pedals ;-)

In my present neighborhood it's very rare that a family doesn't have at least one pickup truck ;-) ...Jim Thompson

You, simple Simon.

Reply to
krw

Is that the best you can muster? Face reality, you're a dud, a loser, an ignoramus... totally incompetent... Larkin's nephew ?>:-} ...Jim Thompson

Oh, my. I'm no longer in the old geezer's killfile. I'll have to fix that.

Reply to
krw

Reply to
bill.sloman