OT: Pi Day tonight (3/14/15 at 9:26:54 (3.141592654)

At 9:26:54 tonight, the date and time will be 3-14-15-9-26-54 (3.141592654)

Bill Bowden

I made a banana cream pi. And real whipped cream.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com
2126:54?

C'mon Bill, it was in the morning, you missed it! ;-)

Tim

-- Seven Transistor Labs Electrical Engineering Consultation Website:

Tim Williams

Only because yanks have a totally illogical way of writing dates, and it doesn't happen in the sensible portion of the world because April is one day too short.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

I think it was cool that he noticed it. Could also be something he was told or was already known. Still it is pretty cool.

The crack about dates, AND the "YANK" moniker... Pretty lame, ditz.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

And Aussies have a totally illogical tendency to get their knickers in a twist about nothing. ;)

The '3' in 3/14 is just an abbreviation for "March", as in "March 14", which is the order in which everyone always says dates. Do you say, "please come to dinner on 21 March"?

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

It is as the spoken

"The ides of march... yada yada...

So, we say "Hey it's March fourteenth", or "it is March the fourteenth".

And you "over there" guys say "It the fouteenth of March.

But the writing of a date... that written formatting..

Is akin to a local dialect. Except that in this case each one covers half the world.

Just think... if US mil standards were still being used and ingrained all around the world's mil contractors (including BAE, etc.), we would all probably be saying "Fourteen March", similar to the 24 hour time declaration 'norm'.

Folks need to learn that all are correct. The mil is the most discernable, however. The three letter month declaration removes any doubt as to which terms refer to which values.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

It is both, in 12 hour time formatting.

Two times in the day.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

yes.

Reply to
David Eather

No, I say 21st of March.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

By "sensible portion of the world" I assume you mean Japan, where the most significant digits come first, and not other regions where you do it completely backwards.

In the US we put the month and day with the most significant digits first. The year goes last because it usually doesn't even need to be said.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

It's like the year 2000, 12/12/12, the bicentennial, or new years day. If you do nothing but watch the clock change, nothing happens. A special time is when you make it special.

Reply to
Wanderer

You don't get any pie!

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

2015 3/15 23:59:59.99999

does make a lot of sense, although the radixes are all mixed.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

I prefer YMD as in 2015-03-15 for the date, so that it sorts in the correct order. Big Endian date or MSD (most significant digit) to the left. HMS (hour minute second) and DMS (degree minute second) are already correct and amazingly consistent.

Now, if we could only change English so that adverbs and adjectives follow the verb or noun, instead of precede, the language would become big Endian and consistent with the number, date, and navigation systems.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Yeah, just like with feet and inches and fractions of inches. Base 10, base

12, and base 2.

That's one of the benefits of metric, but the effort to use metric units for time flopped.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Yeah, the ISO should define that there are 100 days per year.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

We do it that way in my language. (I'm a member of one of the minority races in India).

the language would become

Ah, but we use the DMY system. But then most of the world uses postal addresses starting with the smallest unit. I heard that the Japanese write addresses in the reverse order. Can anyone confirm or refute this?

Reply to
Pimpom

Almost. 221B Baker Street, London, England, UK. The "B" is out of order.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

You got me there. Oh well, a world without inconsistencies would be really dull. BTW, my house number is B-5. :)

Reply to
Pimpom