OT: Personal Pager

Does this exist, a small remote that my wife could press a button and it would activate an alarm in my pocket? Range about 60-70' thru interior walls? ...Jim Thompson

There's a bunch of them available:

And you can use an FRS radio if you want voice.

--
Grizzly H.
Reply to

some sort of ip messaging software running on a mobile phone?

--
  \_(?)_
Reply to

I am sure that "there's an app for that" but I guess you and your wife don't want to carry your cell phones around.

The other market that comes to mind are dog beeper collars but sans the collar part. Since they are meant to be mounted on a collar they should also fit onto the belt. If your wife thinks that you are sometimes too unruly there are also some that come with a zapper :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

On Sat, 26 Dec 2015 15:34:18 -0500, mixed nuts Gave us:

The infant monitoring stuff is better as it can perform continuous monitoring and has a audio/video feed.

Why go cheap in such a case?

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Sat, 26 Dec 2015 13:16:43 -0700, Jim Thompson Gave us:

DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

I'm thinking more along the size lines of a remote somewhat like a car-door remote, and a like-sized receiver. ...Jim Thompson

why not something like a doorbell instead of a receiver?

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

!pocket

--
Grizzly H.
Reply to

Why so large? In the end one of the most important parameters is that the receiver is easy on the battery, has a WOR (wake-up-on-radio) function. So that a battery lasts a long time and can be small.

Of course, this would be a perfect opportunity for a little hobby project. If there wasn't all this other stuff on the honey-do list.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

My wife just gave me a bell. Never used it, though.

Reply to
krw

Here's a similar one but with a watch reciever.

Martin Riddle

You could start with something like this and power it by battery:

Rather than carry it around the house, you could simply add a piezo, or other tone generator.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Need is immediate... Naomi spent last 6-1/2 days in hospital after suffering a concussion plus fracturing two vertebrae in a nasty fall :-(

She's confined to a TLSO Body Jacket, so she needs assistance getting up and down from a seated position. ...Jim Thompson

Looks good! ...Jim Thompson

Ouch. A neighbor's daughter did that on a trampoline, neck vertebrae, almost died. All the best to Naomi and prayers.

How about this?

Or this:

If Amazon isn't fast enough you can get a couple of small FRS walkie-talkies. They are inexpensive, usually available locally, have a huge range, belt clips and the call tone is very loud. A downside is that they eat batteries but many can be operated with NiMH. Ours are from Motorola and those things are tough.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

What also works is a referee whistle, the kind you can hear clear across a large stadium.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

If you need distance maybe an old Pagealert 4000 tied to one of the above would work.

Martin Riddle

But they sound a little harsh for "I'd like a drink of water, please?". ;-)

Reply to
krw

We're currently using her Girl Scout whistle ;-) ...Jim Thompson