OT: Paging Mr. Larkin re Power Basic

I have a couple of problems to which the PB people have not responded.

  1. When I try to capture data and record to a file using the built-in time-stamp, the program stops at midnight.

  1. When I enter debug to check things, it will not exit. I must close PB and start over.

I'm running Win7 using an i7 processor, lots of memory support, and etc.

Any suggestions?

TIA, John S

Reply to
John S

The time-of-day thing rolls over at midnight, so you make have to do a fix for that.

I don't use debug mode, so I can't help you there.

I haven't used PB under Win7. I use PBCC, the console compiler. I played with PB Win, but didn't like it.

Here's a PBCC program with some graphics:

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Get XP. I shit you not. you think because they pul support it will not run ? You think it will get one thousand virii as well as the fleas of a thousa nd camels on the very day they stop support ? Fuck no.

I am going to use it for a slong as possible. Get out f that Win7 shit, it is for laymen, noobs, kids and WORSE ! Fuck all that, I am gong to run XP. and if something destroys my OS, I got disks and the SPs. I got all my driv ers already and all of that shit. they ain't sghutting me down, on anything .

Reply to
jurb6006

It's either their code or yours, write a function that enmulates the documented clock behaviour at midnight and test your code against that.

--
For a good time: install ntp

Jasen Betts

I've had Power Basic for a while but I'm having a hard time convincing myself it will survive the sad demise of Bob Zale.

I pulled this from the website this morning:

" A note from Vivian Zale -

We know there is considerable concern on the Forum about PowerBASIC...when the next release will be...the lack of customer service for the past couple of months...and of course, questions about the future.

With the loss of Bob Zale, there have certainly been huge challenges, and on top of that, we lost a couple of key staff members. A new management team is now on board. Their task is to focus on the technical and customer service issues we've seen throughout the Forum.

All we can do is apologize for the lapse. Please be considerate when posting and know that our customers were important to Bob, and are important to us. We are working diligently to move PowerBASIC forward.

PowerBASIC is restructuring and will make these changes as quickly as possible.

We are striving to maintain PowerBASIC's character and reputation in tandem with preparing to launch new and innovative products.

snipped-for-privacy@PowerBASIC.com

Vivian Zale "

Any one have any more information ?

Michael Kellett

Reply to
MK

I don't understand. The time and date should change at midnight and the program should continue to get the time, date, and data and continue to save them to a file. But, rather than getting the time and date, the program just quits. It does not crash or anything. It just stops.

Reply to
John S

Thanks, Michael. I think I will dump PB and try out Liberty Basic. I've been hurt too many times by PB.

John

Reply to
John S

Don't, know, never seen that.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

run ? You think it will get one thousand virii as well as the fleas of a thousand camels on the very day they stop support ? Fuck no.

it is for laymen, noobs, kids and WORSE ! Fuck all that, I am gong to run XP. and if something destroys my OS, I got disks and the SPs. I got all my drivers already and all of that shit. they ain't sghutting me down, on anything. You might have to start running it in a VM though. I already have three machines that cannot use XP install disk; i get a BSOD.

?-/

Reply to
josephkk

Are you using an SP3 disk? E.g., SATA aand XP < SP3 don't play well together (I don't even think you can use an "F6"? SATA driver with SP2)

Reply to
Don Y

three

Hmmm. I did not know that. I will have to check, at least one of my XP disks is only SP1. I suspect that i do not have an XP SP3 install disk.

?-/

Reply to
josephkk

I think they went broke. None of their Web links work, it seems.

Reply to
John S

Working here.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Well, none of them are working now. Maybe you are looking at cached data? I get time outs on every

based page.

Reply to
WangoTango

Hmm. I've never visited the PB site before, as I'd rather have fleas than program in BASIC(*), but before I posted I got as far as putting a PB compiler in the shopping cart and going to the checkout page, all of which were working fine at the time.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

(*) Except HP Instrument Basic, for reasons of pleasant historical associations.

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 USA
+1 845 480 2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Oh well, I use lots of obsolete software. XP. PADS. NuHertz. Crimson. FilterPro. A zillion DOS apps.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

WangoTango Inscribed thus:

Working fine for me, right pond !

--
Best Regards:
                        Baron.

They were gone for a while, but are back now. Good; I admire cottage industries like that. PBCC is great for whipping up the occasional non-Windows Windows program with minimal hassle.

' EPORT : OPEN TCP/IP PORT AS # 8

EPORT:

TCP CLOSE # 8 ' NUKE ANY OPEN ETHERNET COMM CLOSE # 1 ' OR SERIAL PORT

CPORT% = 0

LOCATE 18, 1

PRINT " Default IP address = "; IP1$ PRINT PRINT " Enter IP address, D for Default, P for previous : ";

LINE INPUT IP$ IF UCASE$(IP$) = "D" THEN IP$ = IP1$ IF UCASE$(IP$) = "P" THEN IP$ = IPO$

IF IP$ = "" THEN GOTO TOP

ERRCLEAR

IPO$ = IP$ ' REMEMBER IP ADD AS "OLD"

TCP OPEN PORT 2000 AT IP$ AS # 8 TIMEOUT 50 CPORT% = 8

IF ERR THEN

LOCATE 22, 10: PRINT "TCP OPEN ERROR" SLEEP 2000 CPORT% = 0

END IF

TCP RECV #8, 2000, B$ ' FLUSH THE TCP BUFFER!

GOTO TOP

I could have used TRY/CATCH for the error case.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

I use PB10 Win for whipping up test routines. When a customer keeps telling me that their software guys can't talk to our XYZ product and it just *HAS* to be our fault, it is nice to bang out a quick and dirty app that shows them the error of their ways.

Reply to
WangoTango

I didn't like the Win version, because of the inhernet Windows GUI complexity. The Console Compiler makes fast DOS-like user screens.

We did our inventory/BOM system in PB/DOS and then converted it to PBCC. It's really fast and spiffy and the database has been up and uncorrupted for about 15 years now.

Commands are just single keystrokes, no mouse support.

We also use it for engineering things and test software.