OT: P-Touch PT-1230PC Label Maker, Spehro?

P-Touch PT-1230PC Label Maker

P-Touch Editor v5.1.100

I need to print vertical text as below, |...| indicates tape edges , view at fixed width font...

| C | | O | | O | | K | | B | | O | | O | | K |

Used to be able to do it, now can't figure it out.

Support seems dense as a stump, their instructions don't work.

IIRC Spehro has one of these ??

Thanks! ...Jim Thompson

| 1962 |

Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions.

"How do I print vertical text? (P-touch Editor 5.1 for Windows)"

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Already found that... doesn't work :-( ...Jim Thompson

     Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions.

I have a similar Brother label maker, but it's in my palatial office so I can't try it right now. I had to update everything in order to make it work correctly. You might have the same problem. I suggest that you check if there are any software, driver, or firmware updates available. Looks like there are some: (Yes, I know you said that it worked previously).

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Works for me (PT-1230 and PT-2730 printers). Version 5.1.100 (newest version).

On my old XP machine. 5.0.x did not work.

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

P.S. you have to set paper orientation to vertical, text direction to horizontal, hit carriage return after each letter and center it with the text position tool.

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

I'm up to date on all that. I suspect they've broken it and are playing the Microsoft game... must be my fault :-( ...Jim Thompson

     Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions.

This is on Win7, PT-1230PC printer, editor v 5.1.100

What steps do you do to print vertically? What "support" says to do doesn't work. ...Jim Thompson

     Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions.

How do you determine driver versions on Win7? ...Jim Thompson

     Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions.

When I try that it indeed goes vertical but gets smaller and smaller and smaller.

I completely re-installed... still no joy :-( ...Jim Thompson

     Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions.

Found the trick... extend the bounding box vertically, then your steps work. Thanks! ...Jim Thompson

     Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions.

Control Panel -> System and Security -> Device Mangler or Start -> CMD prompt -> devmgmt.msc

Find the Brother label printer. Right click and select Properties -> Driver The version number should be hidden on the page somewhere.

Or, you can just install the latest driver from the Brother web pile and not worry about it.

You didn't disclose the exact failure mode, but my guess(tm) is that it's printing, but with the characters rotated 90 degrees in the wrong way. That's what happens when you try to print vertically, using fonts that were designed to print horizontally. You might check your font selection or just repair or reinstall the P-Touch software which might hopefully fix the fonts.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Never mind. That's wrong. It was a ticket printer that had that problem.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Possibly the software has been "improved" to make it more "user friendly" (typical).

Reply to
Robert Baer