OT: One last pleasantry for today...

People are moving south, and southern culture and food are gaining respect.

Read "Dispatches from Pluto."

The question is whether we want to keep the unproductive, mostly parasitic Northeast. They don't do enough to deserve all the oil, gas, wood, electricity, food, wine, and coffee that they consume.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Well we'll have to take it up with the localities providing those products to us. And it isn't the well-known vineyards and coffee-growing plantations of Alabama and Tennessee.

Reply to
bitrex

I think there's a lot to like about Southern culture, and just on cost of living factors alone I can see why people would choose to move there.

But if you're thinking that the transplants are going to magically start voting Republican and re-erecting statues of Robert E. Lee in solidarity with their new neighbors I think you're going to be disappointed.

Reply to
bitrex

The depressing thing is that there are in fact guys out there who go around with the belief that the role of their gf/wife is to look good and not work.

You can usually find them a few years later at the bar looking somber wondering how they're going to afford a third marriage

Reply to
bitrex

I mean, they wouldn't be if they didn't have big wads of cash to throw at the problem.

It's hard to get much attention when some brahs walk into the bar/club and start tossing Benjamins around like they're rap stars. I'm not saying that all women are looking for men with big bankrolls, the chances are that they're heading home alone just the same, but hey everybody likes free money.

Reply to
bitrex
[snip]

Absolutely! And "like" is just as important as "love".

Bitrex has a problem.

We're just over a week away from our 58th anniversary (3/31).

I remain amused by those relatives and friends back then who proclaimed that we should have waited one more day, until April Fools Day, predicting the failure of our "teen" marriage... I was 20, "N" was 18.

Here we are 58 years later, 4 children, 8 grandchildren, 3 great-grandchildren, still having a grand old time (except for the infirmities of old age :-(

Wouldn't go back and do it any other way ;-) ...Jim Thompson

      Understanding is a fountain of life to one who has it,
      But the instruction of fools is folly.  Proverbs 16:22

Not literally tossing money around but buying pricey drinks and "Hey are you a model? You could probably be a model. I know this very well-known photographer who..." and other bullshit lines.

Reply to
bitrex

Because I won't pay for sex????

Reply to
bitrex

Would you want the kind of woman that is for sale, or who admires BS like that?

Actually, a small minority of women here are impressed by that sort of thing. SF has a lot of interesting, thoughtful, strong and not-fluffy women... more than correspondingly decent men.

You're not going to impress a female physicist or engineer or MD by offering her the chance to be a model.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

That's one reason to move South: a place where you can work and live and buy a house and raise kids and enjoy life. People move for money reasons and then start to appreciate the culture. New Orleans is becoming sort of the Berlin of the USA.

If you think that most people in the South are ignorant racist rednecks, well, you're really wrong.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Why would you think Shorty thought any differently of the people between NY and CA than Hillary or Nancy? Costal snobs are simply insufferable, which is why they can't be allowed to regain power.

Reply to
krw

"Hey are you an electrical engineering student? I've talked with Win Hill on the Internet before..."

I don't know how it works on the west coast but definitely the best way to fail at woo-ing a New England female nerd is to try and impress her with your knowledge of her field/"nerd cred."

Try playing in a punk rock band or being a DJ/coffee barista, it works better. Opposites attract and all that

Reply to
bitrex

What I mean is that around here if a young man is an engineer he should take a shot at dating actual models and leave the female nerds to the baristas. The real ones are generally not at all dumb and you might be surprised at the results

Reply to
bitrex

That is one of the problems of the South and Jim-out-of-touch-with-reality-Thompson goes out of his way to illustrate it.

Fewer and less active trade unions do make the South attractive to capitalists who want to exploit their work force as enthusiastically as possible.

The theory is that if you set up a research park designed to mimic the advantages of Route 128 or Silicon Valley, you can get a critical mass of expertise by throwing money at creating one.

Silicon Fen (around Cambridge UK) and Silicon Glen (just north of Edinburgh in Scotland) required rather less force-feeding.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

> Sheeeesh!  Unbelievable!
Reply to
bill.sloman

Try being honest, sincere, friendly, and helpful. And interested.

Try to fake it if you can't actually do any of that. You'll get what you deserve.

lunatic fringe electronics

You seem to live in a pretty sick, predatory world.

lunatic fringe electronics

Air-conditioning and insect control make the environment more tolerable.

The review doesn't suggest that Mississippi has yet made it into the civilised world.

John Larkin is competing with Jim Thompson to be seen as the most out of touch with reality of our posters.

The Greater Atlanta area contributes $325 billion to the US economy.

Greater New York contributes $1.5 trillion, while Great Boston, Greater Philidelphia and Greater Washington DC all contribute about as much as Greater Atlanta.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

The redneck intellectual defects on show here are more general ignorance and a lack of capacity for critical thinking than any overt racism.

John Larkin and Jim Thompson are really persistently wrong a lot of the time, and complacent in their ignorance.

John Larkin is kind enough to advertise this by his enthusiasm for climate change denialism. Jim Thompson has a wider a range of topics where his ignorance is obvious.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

There's some kind of Hunter S. Thompson-kind of joke to be made here about the 30s singles scene, similar to the one he made about the music industry. "...There's also a negative side."

Reply to
bitrex

A lot of guys certainly try to fake being honest, sincere, friendly, and helpful. Then get mad when the woman in question doesn't want to hop into bed with 'em in exchange.

American women have encountered so many of this type by the time they're

30 they're probably justifiably skeptical of it all. If one's an asshole by nature probably best to just be an asshole. "Well at least he's honest"
Reply to
bitrex