[OT] -- Oh Joy! I'm Connected again!

My apologies to anyone with net-cop tendencies:

It's astonishing just how much I've grown to depend on network access. I've been having wireless problems in my office (in a detached building) for a couple of months, so I've been doing all my work from a laptop at my kitchen table. Given that we home-school, this has been a very distracting environment to try to work.

It's all sorted out now -- yippie! I have to organize 210 new-to- Thunderbird email messages, but I can get datasheets on the web, I can do my email, I can download programs and upgrade virus scans and all that cool stuff!

The down side (other than two months of awkwardness) is that I bought a router that I don't really need and wasted a bunch of time until I figured out it was the access point. The upside is that I now have wireless inside my shop building, for whatever good that'll do me.

Tee hee!

--
Tim Wescott
http://www.wescottdesign.com

Tim Wescott

Look at the bright side. Now you can take your laptop and sit underneath the apple tree outside when the weather is good. Whenever that might be, it's freezing out here.

My advice: Run regular CAT-5. Much more reliable.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

That's what I'm considering doing. I've been through three wireless access points and routers and none of them work worth a damn. I'm online now because I'm sending ping keep-alives to the wireless router.

Part of it is interference from nearby networks and that problem will only get worse as time goes on. I would have hoped they'd carve out the high end of the TV spectrum for new hom wireless networking.

I'd need about 150 feet of Cat-5 to wire up the living room, dining room, and the three bedrooms. And I think I'm going to do so because it's cheaper than building a Faraday cage around the house.

I'd have to run it outside, and I can't find listings for direct-burial CAT-5 cable. Moreover, I understand that even underground runs have ground-differential problems during a lightning strike.

If I could be confident that I'm not going to blow out everything on my network, and that the buried cable would last for at least 10 years I'd jump on it -- when I commisioned the garage-office all the "experts" I asked said "use wireless".

--
Tim Wescott
http://www.wescottdesign.com

Tim Wescott

I don't remember where it was but I researched this quite a bit a while ago and set the wireless to a sub-band that was not the default for much other gear and away from microwave ovens, phones and such. Made it work. However, the guys who built this house were extra good and insulated every single room against the outside _and_ the other rooms using aluminum-backed fiber. You can imagine what that does to the range. 50ft at best, for a low to very low signal amplitude.

Most likely it'll go to the guys with the deepest pockets, cell phone providers.

It's hard if you want to do a clean job but worth it. Scraped my scalp a lot underneath the house, from nails that didn't go in straight and were left. A bit spooky, too, since you never know what else lives down there. Luckily I did not encounter a rattlesnake. Oh, and definitely take two lamps. You don't want to be at the far end of the crawl space and the flashlight breaks. While at it I ran two CAT-5 to each location plus two quad-shield coaxes.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

If you are still on the default channel (6), try something else, like 11.

Tam

Reply to
Tam

The run between my office/shop and the house is cheapo cat-5 (Space Shuttle brand from ebay) buried in 3/4" black polyethylene water line. I pulled it in 4 or 5 years ago as I pulled out the coax that preceded it. The phone lines running in the same chase are interior rated as well, and have been in use for almost 15 years. PVC conduit bodies at both ends serve as pull boxes and a transition to PVC conduit to enter the buildings. Regular nylon barb fittings connect the poly pipe to the conduit bodies.

--
Ned Simmons
Reply to

do you home school out of necessity (like your local school is just too crummy or too far away or the bullies there beat up your kid, etc?) or out of conviction (damn evolutionists, h*mo sympathizers, and/ or libruls just keep trying to shove their Darwinism, inclusiveness, or gun confiscatin', tax-and-spendin', pot leagalizin' philosophy down the kids' throats) or for some other reason (e.g. you and spouse are the best teachers you can get for your kids).

just curious, Tim. that's the chance you take when you reveal something like that here.

bestest,

r b-j

Reply to
robert bristow-johnson

What's wrong with pot?

-- % Randy Yates % "Watching all the days go by... %% Fuquay-Varina, NC % Who are you and who am I?" %%% 919-577-9882 % 'Mission (A World Record)', %%%% % *A New World Record*, ELO

Randy Yates

Both kids have typical engineering brains -- they're years ahead of grade level in math & science, at or slightly below grade level at English, PE, that sort of thing, and definitely below grade level in social development.

Our local school district (Oregon City, OR), bent over backwards to accommodate them, but we ended up taking pity on both the kids and the district. There's a local charter school for 'home schooled' kids that gives help & support; the kids get a mix of that, community college classes, correspondence courses, and just plain ol' mom beating on the kids to get their work done.

--
Tim Wescott
http://www.wescottdesign.com

Tim Wescott

Leads straight to alky-haul.

--
John
Reply to

I've considered that, but I have visions of water condensing in the thing, and over the years pooling.

Or am I borrowing trouble?

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

Two comments:

Where I lived for a while Comcast was busy burying PVC tubing because they were going to pull optical cable in a couple years. The existing cable was 15 years old and having lots of trouble. It would be easy to pull the coax in and then out for the optical stuff a bit later. No real extra expense now and reasonable savings in the moderate future. It may have even allowed them to use cheaper labor for the pipe burying and then the better technicians only had to worry about purely electrical issues.

To go wireless between building there are various directional antennas that can be used for fixed line of sight point to point. Treat that as an alternate to cabling and only use regular (omnidirectional) wireless for mobility within rooms and such.

Reply to
Gordon Sande

I've wondered myself whether after all this time water has accumulated in the low spots, but haven't had any problems. When I pulled in the cat-5 cable there was no evidence of water in the line. It wouldn't be difficult to seal the points where the cables exit the PVC conduit if you're concerned about moisture condensing underground.

--
Ned Simmons
Reply to

You could pressurise it :-)

Steve

Reply to
Steve Underwood

Yep, Terry Given can tell you a story about that. OTOH it'll be buried in your case so the odds of lightning currents hitting the power line to your office are just as high. Or higher if that comes off a pole transformer. I have buried CAT-5 for other purposes. One just as is, the other wrapped in electrical tape. Works fine, isn't used for the LAN but goes to a controller where it directly meets 100V triacs.

For LAN you could wind yourself an extra set of iso transformers. Or go with fiber.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I haven't seen a laptop which could be used at the outside without breaking your eyes.

Well, if my understanding is correct the problem was with the configuration, not with the wireless. I wonder why nobody yet blaimed at Microsoft and Bill Gates, as it is customary in the cases like that.

Vladimir Vassilevsky

Use conduit (PVC, and use primer and cement on the joints) - it's cheap, and you only have to dig the hole once. When 100 gigabit horsehair becomes the next big thing in networking, pull out whatever is in there, and pull in 100 gigabit horsehair - or 5 terabit spider silk, or whatever the next thing is.

Fiber is the best option with lightning. Surge suppressors on the Cat-5 are OK if nearby lightning strikes are more something to be cautious about than a guaranteed regular event. Using cheap switches at each end is not really a lightning suppression strategy, but it's a lot cheaper to fry those (sometimes the whole thing, sometimes only a port or two) than to fry your actual equipment. Relevant only because they are cheaper than ethernet surge suppressors are (odd but true, at least when I shop.)

Ecnerwal

Vladimir Vassilevsky wrote in news:7F0qj.2288$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr21.news.prodigy.net:

And in the same breath extol the virtues of Linux :)

Not that I'm against using Linux but I really hate the vitrol from the zealots and Linux has a lot of them, Mac too for that much.

Billy Gates might be the devil incarnate but if you want to run the latest stuff you'll probably need some kind of MS product.

I will think of switching my main PC over to one of the Linux distros the day it will run MS Access directly in wine or the day someone back engineers an Access clone for open source. Wine will try to run it but with way too many problems and crashes and it would take someone from MS leaking the source code for Access for the other to happen but I can dream.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Ah you make an assumption. No crawl space but a full basement! And there are already nice wide holes for the coax cable. I'll just sneak the Cat-

5 through there.