OT: Oh Deere

Yes, and the codes of practice only ever get more stringent as regards lab safety. Jeff might do well to get some test strips for his IPA if he plans on keeping it around for long as unstable peroxides can form over time and it's better to be safe than sorry!

Cursitor Doom

Baloney. Reagent bottles are commonly made from glass. Hydrofluoric acid etches glass and therefore requires a polystyrene or fluorocarbon container. The beer foam head would be visible through the glass. HF also like to creep out of bottles and corrode any metal in the fridge. It's normally stored in multi-layer containers with some very large and specific labeling requirements. Anyone with experience handling chemicals knows that it's not likely to be stored in a mislabeled and unprotected glass reagent bottle.

Also, I'm told that alcoholic beverages in plastic bottles tastes rather horrible. The usual screwup is to use the same PET (polyethylene terephthalate) bottles as various soft drinks. PET is good for keeping CO2 inside the plastic bottle, but not so good at keeping oxygen from getting into your beer and making it taste disgustingly stale: That's also one reason why beer isn't sold in plastic bottles.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

What will we do when we run out of TLA's?

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

onsdag den 3. oktober 2018 kl. 19.10.09 UTC+2 skrev Jeff Liebermann:

the used to be be some beers in plastic here, it was PEN instead of PET and best before was only 3 months compared to the usual 9 month

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

You must surely have known I was just joking!!

Cursitor Doom

It's difficult for me to determine. I usually give everyone the benefit of the doubt. I assume that they are serious and not wasting my time. However, for your benefit and to avoid my making the same mistake twice, I'll assume that everything that you write is hogwash, unless you clearly demonstrate with references, URL's, citations, quotes, calculations and examples that you are worthy of being taken seriously.

I am the wizard of news. I sometimes tend to confuse. But if you can't wait, I'll trim the debate. The end is always - you lose.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

PEN is Polyethylene naphthalate "Because it provides a very good oxygen barrier, it is well-suited for bottling beverages that are susceptible to oxidation, such as beer."

"PEN, a cousin of PET, typically delivers a five-fold improvement in both CO2 and O2 barrier versus monolayer PET, along with higher heat resistance and good clarity. PEN has a Tg of 122 C, far exceeding that for PET, so PEN blends would allow mono layer bottles to be pasteurized. The high price of PEN and PEN/PET blends currently prevents widespread adoption for single-use containers. But sources at BP Amoco in Naper ville, Ill., which makes the key monomer for PEN, says monolayer PEN bottles are making inroads into multi-trip refillable beer and water bottles in Europe and Brazil."

Naphthalate-based bottles beckon

Most of the articles I found were from around 1995-96. Then, nothing. I wonder what happened. PEN costs 4 to 5 times as much as PET which might have killed PEN.

Interesting and thanks.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

torsdag den 4. oktober 2018 kl. 01.40.53 UTC+2 skrev Jeff Liebermann:

I just looked it up, they were used here from 1999 to around 2007 people were buying cans instead

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

How? You post nonsense more or less non-stop. How are we supposed to be able to distinguish between the nonsense you claim to have been aware was nonsense and the nonsense which reflects your sincere (if woefully ill-informed) beliefs?

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

That's the failsafe approach everyone here should take to anything I post. I thoroughly recommend it. :-D

Cursitor Doom

Methinks you take the easy route. Leaving me with little doubt. What you recommend, is this will now end, as garbage in and garbage out.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Rendered in Latin, I think it is the motto of a UK learned society...

Mike.

Reply to
Mike Coon

Doesn't that get pretty boring?

Reply to
bitrex

"I don't like change" means "If they held a referendum on making blacks and women property again I'd be out the door to vote yes on it in 5 sec"

Reply to
bitrex

Well spotted, sir!

Cursitor Doom

Conservative don't like anything very much. Apart of course from whingeing and bleating on about immigration, brexit, Johnny foreigner, taking back control, the remoaners, Boris is a very clever man, that communist Corbyn, blah blah, etc. etc. They are excruciatingly BORING!

Reply to
Pomegranate Bastard