OT: No chicken-COP here...

e:

explosives?

e to work out how to use my mobile phone to do that job - it's certainly no t a task something that mobile phones are designed to manage easily.

news here. And you claim to be a electronic engineer and yet say it would take you a while to connect a small relay to the speaker leads so one could call the cell phone and have the relay close.

anges?

t your skills with a gun on a range before you actually try to shoot someth ing edible with it, but the practical advantage of that exercise hangs off putting the skill into practice.

ion of skill in hitting a ball with a stick? Pretty much the same thing. Both are sports.

Field hockey is way of getting physical exercise. You end up running around intermittently for 70 minutes, which does good things for you heart and ci rculation.

I played in goal for the last part of my career, where the exercise is even more intermittent, but it make the rest of team happy to have someone doin g the job. I still ran around the field at hockey practice.

Shooting at targets just damages you hearing. My West London dentist did it until he realised that it was impairing his capacity to appreciate opera, which is when he dropped the target shooting.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Only if you are stupid enough to not wear hearing protection. Our local range requires both hearing protection and eye protection..

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Even with hearing protection, you damage your hearing - not as much as if you were playing Rambo, but enough that my dentist gave it up.

Dentists aren't - as a rule - stupid, and this one certainly wasn't.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Yep. ...Jim Thompson

      Understanding is a fountain of life to one who has it,
      But the instruction of fools is folly.  Proverbs 16:22

l range requires both hearing protection and eye protection..

you were playing Rambo, but enough that my dentist gave it up.

But if you can dig up some studies that conclusively show that hearing deg rades more with loud noises even if one uses hearing protection , I will be interested in reading the study. But do not expect me to accept anecdotal statements from a dentist as any sort of proof.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Don't be silly; our species is very good at finding uses for ... almost anything. If you can't use input, accept feedback, you're just a bad communicator. You'd be a bad op amp, too.

Reply to
whit3rd

I've never been to a range that didn't require both. One range wasn't policed (gun club out in the middle of nowhere - no attendants) but it was a posted rule. Who wouldn't use protection? Crazy!

Reply to
krw

Wrong. He has nothing useful to say at all, much less the US or its politics.

You're right. I'm not into negative feedback.

Reply to
krw

cal range requires both hearing protection and eye protection..

if you were playing Rambo, but enough that my dentist gave it up.

e.

egrades more with loud noises even if one uses hearing protection , I will be interested in reading the study. But do not expect me to accept anecdot al statements from a dentist as any sort of proof.

If you knew a bit more, you might have heard of boilermakers deafness - as I had before I had that conversation with my London dentist.

Hearing does also degrade just with age, but boiler-makers deafness is dist inctly worse.

Hearing protection reduces the damage, but it isn't - and can't be - all th at effective, since sound wave propagate through the body as well as down t he ear canal.

It has been claimed the young people's enthusiasm for very loud music puts them at a similar risk. One colleague (Russian and now dead) managed a pop band in his spare time when he was young, and blamed his poor hearing on th at.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Odd. Krw doesn't post any other kind.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

:

local range requires both hearing protection and eye protection..

s if you were playing Rambo, but enough that my dentist gave it up.

age.

degrades more with loud noises even if one uses hearing protection , I wil l be interested in reading the study. But do not expect me to accept anecd otal statements from a dentist as any sort of proof.

s I had before I had that conversation with my London dentist.

stinctly worse.

that effective, since sound wave propagate through the body as well as down the ear canal.

on top of the page: Noise-induced hearing loss can be prevented by avoiding excessive noise and using hearing protection such as earplugs and earmuffs

s them at a similar risk. One colleague (Russian and now dead) managed a po p band in his spare time when he was young, and blamed his poor hearing on that.

people have gotten smarter and wear hearing protection ...

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

.org:

te:

r local range requires both hearing protection and eye protection..

as if you were playing Rambo, but enough that my dentist gave it up.

.

u age.

ng degrades more with loud noises even if one uses hearing protection , I w ill be interested in reading the study. But do not expect me to accept ane cdotal statements from a dentist as any sort of proof.

as I had before I had that conversation with my London dentist.

distinctly worse.

l that effective, since sound wave propagate through the body as well as do wn the ear canal.

ng excessive noise and using hearing protection such as earplugs and earmuf fs

Hearing protection can't be perfect - unless you suspend yourself inside so me kind of chamber that's magnetically levitated in a vacuum - so noise-ind uced hearing loss can be reduced by ear-protection and ear-muffs, but they won't stop the noise getting in via bone conduction, and if there's enough of it you'll still get damage. Gun shots are - briefly - very loud indeed.

uts them at a similar risk. One colleague (Russian and now dead) managed a pop band in his spare time when he was young, and blamed his poor hearing o n that.

Which isn't perfect.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

On Saturday, March 24, 2018 at 1:58:14 AM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@ieee.org wrote: .

ring degrades more with loud noises even if one uses hearing protection , I will be interested in reading the study. But do not expect me to accept a necdotal statements from a dentist as any sort of proof.

all that effective, since sound wave propagate through the body as well as down the ear canal.

But hearing protection does eliminate hearing loss. The ears are not damag ed by some noise. In fact they exist to let us hear noises. So hearing pro tection does not have to be perfect. So where is your peer reviewed resear ch that proves different?

some kind of chamber that's magnetically levitated in a vacuum - so noise-i nduced hearing loss can be reduced by ear-protection and ear-muffs, but the y won't stop the noise getting in via bone conduction, and if there's enoug h of it you'll still get damage. Gun shots are - briefly - very loud indeed .

.

And which if it were perfect , you could hear nothing.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

earing degrades more with loud noises even if one uses hearing protection , I will be interested in reading the study. But do not expect me to accept anecdotal statements from a dentist as any sort of proof.

- all that effective, since sound wave propagate through the body as well a s down the ear canal.

Where's your peer-reviewed evidnece that supports that claim?

noises. So hearing protection does not have to be perfect.

Not the most quantitative of arguments.

It isn't all that quantitative. It does point out that

"However, hearing loss can also result from single or repeated sudden noise exposure, which is generally referred to as acoustic trauma. Exposure to s udden impulse noise is more detrimental than exposure to steady state noise ".

It then goes on to say that it's mainly focussed on sustained noise exposur e, rather than the acoustic trauma that you get when you fire a gun ...

e some kind of chamber that's magnetically levitated in a vacuum - so noise

-induced hearing loss can be reduced by ear-protection and ear-muffs, but t hey won't stop the noise getting in via bone conduction, and if there's eno ugh of it you'll still get damage. Gun shots are - briefly - very loud inde ed.

The point about bone conduction does put a limit on the extent to which you can protect the cochlear with headphones and ear-muffs, but you don't want to think about that, do you ...

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

How's that working out for you, Bill, that surgery you had substituting piss for saliva ?>:-} ...Jim Thompson

| 1962 |

Understanding is a fountain of life to one who has it, But the instruction of fools is folly. Proverbs 16:22

From your cite.

CONCLUSIONS AND RELEVANCE:

Earplug use is effective in preventing temporary hearing loss after loud music exposure. The present randomized clinical trial adds proof to the scarce evidence and knowledge on this topic, which is a growing global problem.

Ear muffs are more effective than ear plugs, and of course both ear plugs and ear muffs used together is even better.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Jim-even-further-out-of-touch-with-reality-than-usual-Thompson being characteristically inane.

--
Bill Sloman, sydney
Reply to

Loud music is sustained acoustic abuse. Gun shots are brief episodes of acoustic trauma - and a good deal louder than the peak intensity of loud music.

Musicians don't generate supersonic shock waves. Guns do.

Do learn to think - it would save us all quite a bit of time leading you to the obvious conclusion.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

e:

ch you can protect the cochlear with headphones and ear-muffs, but you don' t want to think about that, do you ...

d music exposure. The present randomized clinical trial adds proof to the s carce evidence and knowledge on this topic, which is a growing global probl em.

gs and ear muffs used together is even better.

coustic trauma - and a good deal louder than the peak intensity of loud mus ic.

some guns with some kinds of ammunition

to the obvious conclusion.

come on Bill, your claim is that hearing protection doesn't work against gu n noise and where asked to point to some studies that show that, not that l oud noises can cause hearing damage, we all know that.

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

.org:

ote:

hich you can protect the cochlear with headphones and ear-muffs, but you do n't want to think about that, do you ...

oud music exposure. The present randomized clinical trial adds proof to the scarce evidence and knowledge on this topic, which is a growing global pro blem.

lugs and ear muffs used together is even better.

acoustic trauma - and a good deal louder than the peak intensity of loud m usic.

u to the obvious conclusion.

gun noise and where asked to point to some studies that show that, not that loud noises can cause hearing damage, we all know that.

Why should I bother? My London dentist had done that years ago.

Dan wants to keep on believing that he can keep on shooting and not damage his hearing, and he has a touching faith that the ear protection he uses wi ll actually protect his hearing. It's called wishful thinking, except that thinking doesn't come into it.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to