OT: Mysterious Tesla Storage Discovery

https://tinyurl.com/y82p7ubx

Re: OT: Mysterious Tesla Storage Discovery

"The accompanying video appears to show "thousands" of Tesla vehicles
just rusting in the open air under the scorching California sun."

San Joaquin County, well known for its harsh climate which causes cars
to rust nearly overnight.

Re: OT: Mysterious Tesla Storage Discovery

If there's a "problem" anywhere it could just have to do with the fact
that there's an extreme shortage of long haul truck drivers in the US
and AFAIK there needs to be extra training to drive an auto carrier.

The entire trucking industry doesn't just drop everything they're doing
and drive to the Tesla factory because Elon Musk needs some cars
shipped, and I'm pretty sure Tesla doesn't own its own its own auto rack
transport/logistics company also.

All the conspiracy retards in the comments are wildly speculating about
thousands of defective cars when the most likely explanation is
something rather mundane like logistics.

Re: OT: Mysterious Tesla Storage Discovery
transport/logistics company also. "

They should. For a good size company it is not all that much of a problem.
You can probably get 4 trucks for a million or so, car carriers, 4 of them
maybe for half million. Licensing and operating authority is a bitch but no
t as bad as building a car.

They could also just build their own trucks.

Thing is they were having trouble getting dealerships in some states, Texas
 for one I think. I can't find a direct reference to what I read before but
 here is some info on it :

https://www.ecowatch.com/states-cant-buy-tesla-2278638949.html

I guess people in at least 6 states have to go get one, bring it back and c
onvert the title which will probably require a safety inspection and laugha
bly emissions testing.

Of course Tesla might get the right lawyers one day and get a court to find
 that the states are engaging in restraint of trade. There go the laws the
big three paid for.

If I was Tesla I would, after a credit check, fly people for free to come a
nd test drive one on the test track as well as the street. I doubt enough p
eople would abuse that. Just don't give them a free lunch or lodging. That
would stick it right up those states' ass.

"Fly here and drive home on us" (meaning the car comes with a full charge)

Actually I am a bit surprised they haven't already done that. But then I ha
ve a rebel mind.

Re: OT: Mysterious Tesla Storage Discovery

The problem with Tesla such as it is isn't so much they can't actually
build some cars or that there is likely some horrible problem they're
trying to cover up, I don't see very much suspicious about a big lot
full of new manufacture cars sitting around for a while, thousands of
new cars sit for months at container ports and manufacturing plants
fairly often with those white plastic sheets on them. not that unusual.

It's that the company is run like a 18 month old startup seeking Series
B seed capital funding or something. But this is a 15 year old company
with a $50B market cap.

I could totally see them working so hard to finish production of X
thousand cars they just kind of forgot about scheduling enough inbound
auto racks to move them where they needed to go in a timely fashion.

Re: OT: Mysterious Tesla Storage Discovery

in any case I doubt the cars are going to rust away or be baked to a
crisp in the "Scorching California Sun" of the San Francisco area
anytime soon. I know a guy with a 1984 AMC Eagle wagon out there that
still looks about as new as the day it rolled off the line and its lived
outside for most of its life.

The call them "California Cars" when they sell them used in New England
and charge a bit of a premium for them to come here to die. I see F-150s
and Escalades barely 5 years old that are already rotting out around the
door panels here...

Re: OT: Mysterious Tesla Storage Discovery
em. You can probably get 4 trucks for a million or so, car carriers, 4 of t
hem maybe for half million. Licensing and operating authority is a bitch bu
t not as bad as building a car.
exas for one I think. I can't find a direct reference to what I read before
 but here is some info on it :
nd convert the title which will probably require a safety inspection and la
ughably emissions testing.
find that the states are engaging in restraint of trade. There go the laws
the big three paid for.
me and test drive one on the test track as well as the street. I doubt enou
gh people would abuse that. Just don't give them a free lunch or lodging. T
hat would stick it right up those states' ass.
ge)
I have a rebel mind.

Why are you guy making up stuff to explain unreliable reports based on impo
ssibly poor videos?  There is not one car in either of the two videos I saw
 that I could say was a Tesla.  Then you make up a background story to expl
ain the imaginary cars based on nothing and try to rationalize how/why the
company got into this mess.  WTF!!!

Rick C.

Re: OT: Mysterious Tesla Storage Discovery

That the "investigative journalism" such as it is of unknown validity is
already a given. Assuming those actually are all Teslas the point was
that while it's extremely unlikely there is any nefarious cover-up going
on the "symptoms" could simply be explained by some kind of logistics
issue.

There are people waiting on delivery and if cars are sitting around not
being delivered (under the assumption that the facts of the story are
more-or-less correct, just the histrionic conspiracy "they didn't put
any batteries in!" spin is nonsense) then that seems like a problem.

It's entirely possible for the facts of the story to be more or less
correct while the spin that ZeroHedge puts on it to be nonsense. It's
not my job in life to give Tesla good PR by assuming it's 100%
confabulated and those are all actually Hyundais. Seems unlikely that
that's the case the facts are pretty easy to verify by anyone else
willing to take the time I'd imagine.

Re: OT: Mysterious Tesla Storage Discovery

That is to say there is no "demand issue" like the Twatter idiots are
speculating. It's a logistics issue. There's a severe long haul trucker
shortage in the US, the population of drivers is aging out the average
age of a long haul truck driver is like 52.

There's videos of some Teslas coming out of the big lot on an auto rack.
Great! They managed to get their hands on a driver. The commenter's are
wondering why there aren't like 50 auto racks pulled up there right this
minute loading up hundreds of cars - they don't know a thing about how
the trucking industry/owner operator drivers/load scheduling works.

Re: OT: Mysterious Tesla Storage Discovery
blem. You can probably get 4 trucks for a million or so, car carriers, 4 of
 them maybe for half million. Licensing and operating authority is a bitch
but not as bad as building a car.
 Texas for one I think. I can't find a direct reference to what I read befo
re but here is some info on it :
 and convert the title which will probably require a safety inspection and
laughably emissions testing.
o find that the states are engaging in restraint of trade. There go the law
s the big three paid for.
come and test drive one on the test track as well as the street. I doubt en
ough people would abuse that. Just don't give them a free lunch or lodging.
 That would stick it right up those states' ass.
arge)
n I have a rebel mind.
.
impossibly poor videos?  There is not one car in either of the two videos I
 saw that I could say was a Tesla.  Then you make up a background story to
explain the imaginary cars based on nothing and try to rationalize how/why
the company got into this mess.  WTF!!!

Yes, ZeroHedge is a BS site spouting all manner of nonsense.  But your "exp
lanation" is no more based in reality than their story.

I actually found it amusing that the video is just *not quite* good enough
to make out the vehicles.  It's almost laughable.

It doesn't matter what anyone says about the story.  People like Larkin and
 Doom will believe what they want.  They don't care what the facts are, the
y've already made up their minds.

BTW, I noticed Tesla put in a bank of chargers near here recently just off
Rt 95 at a gas station no less.  I spotted another in a much smaller city i
n WV along Rt 81 at a Sheetz.  Personally I don't like those locations beca
use topping off your Tesla means you have time to sit and enjoy a cup or ev
en a small bite and that is across a very busy six lanes of traffic.  But I
 guess when you are on a trip you just want to get in and out as fast as yo
u can.  Still, its good to have so many charging options.  That's the one t
hing Tesla gets that the other makers don't.  Cars like the Chevy Bolt will
 take hours to get the same charge you can put on a Tesla in 30 minutes.  T
his will be important to the future of electric cars.

Rick C.

Re: OT: Mysterious Tesla Storage Discovery

Don't know why it's not based in reality. There is a severe long-haul
truck driver shortage in the US that's an indisputable fact. If I made
5,000 cars tomorrow there's no physical way I could move them all in a
week or even a month probably for any reasonable price, there are
physically not enough trucker-asses to put in seats to do it on-demand
for a reasonable price. Any other car mfgr who cranked out a huge number
of vehicles very quickly might have the same problem.

I could do it if I were willing to bid 50k per shipment. Tesla didn't
bid 50k they put in a more reasonable bid because they want to actually
make money. Low supply/high demand for truckers = it's a load shippers
market and if they think the bid is a little low they might go with some
other bid first and get to the Tesla shipment when they get around to it.

Re: OT: Mysterious Tesla Storage Discovery

The rest of the world does not _drop_ everything they're doing and run
run run to San Francisco because His Majesty got around to cranking out
some cars. They would for the right price. Assuming those are in fact
Teslas sitting there looks like they didn't want to pay that price.

Re: OT: Mysterious Tesla Storage Discovery
roblem. You can probably get 4 trucks for a million or so, car carriers, 4
of them maybe for half million. Licensing and operating authority is a bitc
h but not as bad as building a car.
s, Texas for one I think. I can't find a direct reference to what I read be
fore but here is some info on it :
ck and convert the title which will probably require a safety inspection an
d laughably emissions testing.
 to find that the states are engaging in restraint of trade. There go the l
aws the big three paid for.
o come and test drive one on the test track as well as the street. I doubt
enough people would abuse that. Just don't give them a free lunch or lodgin
g. That would stick it right up those states' ass.
charge)
hen I have a rebel mind.
ly
al.
ies
ny
nd
n impossibly poor videos?  There is not one car in either of the two videos
 I saw that I could say was a Tesla.  Then you make up a background story t
o explain the imaginary cars based on nothing and try to rationalize how/wh
y the company got into this mess.  WTF!!!
is
ng
[...]

It's not based in reality because you know nothing of Tesla's operations.
First you don't know there are cars piling up in a lot somewhere.  But you
don't let that stop you, you imagine Tesla is doing this because they can't
 move the cars...  What???

I have no doubt in my mind Tesla will do everything they can to move cars t
o customers.  After all the crap they've been through making them, the idea
 that they would not have lined up a means of shipping the cars around the
country is totally absurd.  "We didn't see that one coming, we never expect
ed to get this far before the money ran out!"

Rick C.

[...]

For 15 to 20 cars per carrier, that would be $2k to $3k each.  Many people
are willing to drive a car across the country for $1k plus plane ticket bac
k.

Re: OT: Mysterious Tesla Storage Discovery

I imagine they're at least looking to have the cars moved by licensed
and bonded pro carriers not just some random drivers off the street.

The latter doesn't look very good from a PR perspective, either. "Yeah
we just hired some random guys to deliver them"

Re: OT: Mysterious Tesla Storage Discovery

Don't know what auto rack 18-wheeler trailer in the US at least could
move 15-20 cars per load. More like 8-9, tops.

I don't think shipping them by rail would be a good value for their
location/inventory size, they're not a container port there's no roll-on
roll off capability there. They'd still have to truck them somewhere

Re: OT: Mysterious Tesla Storage Discovery
 problem. You can probably get 4 trucks for a million or so, car carriers,
4 of them maybe for half million. Licensing and operating authority is a bi
tch but not as bad as building a car.
tes, Texas for one I think. I can't find a direct reference to what I read
before but here is some info on it :
back and convert the title which will probably require a safety inspection
and laughably emissions testing.
rt to find that the states are engaging in restraint of trade. There go the
 laws the big three paid for.
 to come and test drive one on the test track as well as the street. I doub
t enough people would abuse that. Just don't give them a free lunch or lodg
ing. That would stick it right up those states' ass.
l charge)
 then I have a rebel mind.
ally
're
ot
 of
sual.
eries
pany
ound
n.
 on impossibly poor videos?  There is not one car in either of the two vide
os I saw that I could say was a Tesla.  Then you make up a background story
 to explain the imaginary cars based on nothing and try to rationalize how/
why the company got into this mess.  WTF!!!
y is
oing
not
r "explanation" is no more based in reality than their story.
er
ple are willing to drive a car across the country for $1k plus plane ticket
 back.

According to ZeroHedge they are trucking them somewhere already, lol!

Shipping cars by rail is very common.  The biggest problem they have is kid
s throwing rocks at them when the run through cities.  Years ago they had t
o start enclosing the car cars in sheet metal.  Heck, they assembled autos
in Baltimore when I was a kid.  They shipped them *out*.  Baltimore is a se
aport and a *lot* of stuff is shipped by train going overseas.  No shortage
 of rail traffic in Baltimore.

The reason rail shipping is not so good for Tesla is not the factory end.
It is the delivery end.  They would need to have staging areas at several p
laces in the country where cars would be shipped to until they can be picke
d up by truck again for final delivery.  I think Tesla is in more of a hurr
y, so they just ship by truck for the full run.  That alone is faster than
the rail leg of a shipment.

Rick C.

Re: OT: Mysterious Tesla Storage Discovery

Yah well no fooling. The commentards were hoping they were all gonna
rust away in that harsh CALIFORNIA environment! that they're all
defective. Yah, sure. They smoke some good rock in that crowd for sure.

I'm pushing 40 and rail auto racks have been enclosed as long as I can
recall, surely.

Some beer company had a hotshot refrigerated unit train with like the
words "BEER TRAIN" on every car, from what I hear that plan didn't last
long.

Re: OT: Mysterious Tesla Storage Discovery

So, $5k per car shipped?  That's almost 10% of the car price.  Even contracted/bonded drivers/employees can do it for $1k to $2K.

Of course, they would need to set up intermediate staging/charging transfer lots.  Perhaps the OP's video is such a lot.

Re: OT: Mysterious Tesla Storage Discovery

They don't have the money at the moment. They wanna make as much profit
as possible on these cars for real. They'd have a thousand owner
operators there right this minute if they were bidding 50 grand for each
load shipment, yes sir Mr. Musk where to sir how may I help sir!

They probably didn't bid that price though, they put in their bid for
the shipments and what they could afford to offer was for long-haul
drivers (who are in very high demand) the "Bitch when I get around to
it"-price.

Site Timeline