OT: My new lab and office

Hi, all,

I moved into a real lab and office space in July, and some folks have been asking me for a photo tour. I finally got all the boxes emptied out this week, so here it is in all its work-in-progress glory:

If you're ever in the neighbourhood, drop by!

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Nice um, rack you got there ;)

Thick walls, brick construction? I noticed some houses in Valhalla have fairly thick walls.

Good luck!

Martin Riddle

Nice and homey! The wood on the rolling rack is very nice!

I once pressed a bookshelf into being a "horizontal file cabinet" and I've never looked back Specific to

a 6-8 ft tall by 4 ft wide bookshelf makes managing that sort of paper clutter much less trouble. As paper becomes less important, you move it down, then sort through the bottom shelf once a week and shred, file or dispose otherwise of the leavings. As things completed, I'd wrap 'em in a manila folder and file in a standard file cabinet. Use of sticky notes tags and other collation aids encouraged.

If you have a deep sustained relationship with a standard file cabinet, never mind :)

-- Les Cargill

Reply to
Les Cargill

Nice slab.

Reply to
TralfamadoranJetPilot

Thanks.

I'm going to get a lateral file for the office and one for the admin space. I have too much paper that I can't throw out--contracts, expert-witness stuff, and so forth. Also I need some more junk piling space, as you can see. ;)

The wood base of the rack is actually a scrap piece of Ikea butcher-block countertop left over from last summer's kitchen renovation.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I see you shiver with antici................................. ............................................................. ........................................pation. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

What a nice rack that is ;-) You have kinda filled it up (which you'd said before, but the visual impact is better.) Good to see you putting it to use, sir!

Ecnerwal

Thanks, Lawrence. All it needs are some side panels. ;)

It's quite hard to find sturdy equipment racks round here--they're mostly the flimsy ones for audio equipment. Try hanging an old spectrum analyzer off the front rails of that and see what happens!

(I'm using the aluminum angle stock I got from you as well, to avoid hanging stuff like that.)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Is the Euro Pizzeria any good ??

hamilton

Reply to
hamilton

WOW, I found 5 Italian places within 6 blocks of your office !!!

Is this an old Italian area ??

hamilton

Reply to
hamilton

Horrible. Soggy and greasy. The pub and the Chinese food place three doors west also have horrible food. Fortunately it's only another block to some really pretty good food--two delis, two Italian places, and various crunch granola places. And best of all, it's only a 1.5 mile walk to the best pizza in Westchester--Dom & Vinnie's (actually run by some Russian guys).

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Make that three Italian places, all pretty good--Amalfi, Paese, and Orfino's.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Nice space! But... do I spot datasheet books? And why is your workbench so small? You seem to have enough space to fit a bigger bench.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

You absolutely spot databooks, back from when men were real men and datasheets were real datasheets. They have curves and specs and details that the degenerate modern things can only dream about. I wouldn't part with them, and I use them often, because I build a lot of weird things and need that sort of data.

The little cart is all I could fit in my basement after I had all that gear. A bigger one is coming soon, for sure.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

"I also have over 50 packages of 100 W, 1690 lumen incandescents in a closet at right, but I wouldn't want to upset Bill Sloman by showing them."

:)

Not too far from

Which is the best damn pizza I've ever eaten! Once a year or so I make the

180 mile trek to Stamford just for the pizza. Haven't tried the one in Fairfield.
Reply to
JW

On a sunny day (Wed, 24 Aug 2011 23:12:48 -0400) it happened Phil Hobbs wrote in :

No coffee machine, not even a pizza oven, all those books need digit-icing. Where are those red and green laserbeams that fry your pants when you walk through it?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Very true. An expedition is being formed as we speak.

That one isn't on the list.

through it? I just cleaned it up for the pictures!

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

You working at that tiny bench is like an elephant riding a tricycle.

John

through it?

I see no facility for keeping beer cold!

John

through it?

I was just gonna say ...

Also, where's the Weber barbie? That will remove the requirement for a piza oven. In this here office the only way we make pizza is from scratch (dough and everything), then the former bottom panel of a homebrew computer gets heated up, pizza goes in, comes out 30 minutes later, gets eaten while a 2nd one bakes. That 2nd pizza is only baked

20-25 minutes and then frozen.

Other than that, nice job, Phil! Any chance to buy that building some day?

50 boxes of 100W incandescent, shazam! That's the highest I've heard from anyone. Yet.
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to