OT: MicroChip problems

1) Cannot order header AC162053 because their site refuses to allow adding of a credit card. 2) Their new IDE, MPLABX-v3.05-windows-installer.exe does not and cannot run. 3) Posting messages seems to do no good.
Reply to
Robert Baer

Paypal?

Change from Microchip to another microcontroller manufactorer :-)

Cheers

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

Try a different browser. Some sites will only work if you enable cookies and have the right (ie usually modern) browser.

Why not? Have you met the requirements for installing it?

You don't give enough information to be helped.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Buy it from Mouser. Or (better) use a device with debug on the chip. Unless it's really high volume there's no particular cost saving.

Eg. PIC16F819 or the newer PIC16F1826 (the latter is considerably cheaper).

The system requirements are minimal, but it runs and it's slow as molasses on old-as-dirt machines. Use MPLAB 8 if you have a 'classic' (POS) machine. Poke around and you'll find the download on their website for every version of MPLAB.

Never does. Maybe try AVR? or Arduino?

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

1) Buy from a disty or make your own, it is just an overpriced socket and a few pins. 2) Works fine for me. Microchip has an archive of older versions you could try. 3) Dunno, I never had need to.

piglet

Reply to
piglet

Nah, that chip is missing the on-chip debug function so the 'header' has another chip on there 16F648 or something that adds the missing functionality.

I seldom use ICD for something that simply anyway, prefer the MPLAB mpsim simulator and use ICD2 or ICD3 or RealIce to program the chip, which requires no header. The on-chip ICD has limitations anyway.

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Ahh, thanks for clearing that up Spehro.

I've never needed to use external debugging on a PIC, the IDE simulator or inserting debug code into my code have been enough for me.

piglet

Reply to
piglet

I have been screwed by "Pay" "Pal" a few times, where they failed to pay and when they were most assuredly NO pal (hang up instantly if you utter the word "refund".

Reply to
Robert Baer

  • i always have cookies enabled. Ignoring the Insipid Exterminator, define your version of "modern".
  • WHAT requirements; no mention..
  • Been 3 daze,NO response.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Client insists on PIC. Will look at those 2 you mentioned; thanks.

Reply to
Robert Baer

  • Got version 8.3 on an official disk (they have no CDs any more); works. Thought i would "upgrade".
Reply to
Robert Baer

I have a better idea. Why don't you specify what OS and browser version level(s) you have tried and found unable to complete the task?

Most packages come with a readme first file. I take it you can read?

Regards,
Martin Brown
Reply to
Martin Brown

Hi all, I refused to adopt the new MPLAB-X, rather I installed the last version of MPLAB IDE, 8.92, it works fine. As far as I can read hear I did the right choice.

Reply to
Luigi C.
[snip]

works.

8.92 is working well for me too. Even for my occasional foray into PIC32 territory. It's not perfect, but neither is X.

I'll stick with it.

Reply to
Randy Day

When I worked with the PIC, I upgraded to the X, but soon reverted back again. All sorts of problem with the X at that time

Cheers

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

  • Win 7 might do the trick..

  • Well, one would have to FIRST run the EXE to get that "readme"... My binary X86 emulation skills are most likely as good as yours..
Reply to
Robert Baer

Thanks!

Reply to
Robert Baer

Thanks for the info.

Reply to
Robert Baer

It seems fine now. I may or may not be able to reproduce elements from the set "all sorts of problems" but it's working for now.

--
Les Cargill
Reply to

Some years ago a friend's account was hacked and money transferred along with more money being pulled into the account from her credit card before being transferred. She filed a complaint, but the hackers were smart and impersonated PayPal sending her a form to fill out regarding the complaint. She asked me to fax it for her and I read it, this was an irrevocable affidavit saying the transfers were legit!

At that point I got involved thinking Pay Pal would want to catch these guys. Calling what seemed like an appropriate department I was given another phone number to call. There I got another phone number and two more referrals and an hour later I reached the "fraud department" where I recognized the voice of the *first person I had spoken to*!!!

I realized Pay Pal had no interest in reporting the crime to the police. Rather they wanted to not make these fraud actions public in any way. I don't know if Pay Pal still works the same way by scamming their users, but I only use them to process my credit card transactions with eBay. Then when I have a dispute I file with eBay and if that doesn't work I go to the credit card company. The Pay Pal "guarantee" is pure BS with virtually no way to reach a person. If the automatic form doesn't have a provision for your problem you are just taken in circles looking for a solution.

--

Rick
Reply to