OT: Locking Gas Caps

I heard on the radio that some places are sold out on locking gas caps. I suppose due to the rise of gas theft.

I mentioned locking gas caps to a mechanic. To my surprise, he said that most vehicles don't need a locking gas cap due to the presence of a check ball that makes siphoning very difficult.

True?? If so, people could be just wasting their money on locking gas caps.

In addition, he said that if the gas tank needs to be drained for service work, it's done from underneath the vehicle.

Later on, I wish I asked if thefts can unbolt the gas tank and run off with it!

D from BC British Columbia Canada

Reply to
D from BC

Don't most cars made in the last 20 years have filler doors that lock automatically when you lock the car?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

I have a 1998 work van. It has no locking panel for the gas cap.

D from BC British Columbia Canada

Reply to
D from BC

Some do, some don't... although I'd guess it's greater than half that do. (Honda Civics do but Honda Fits don't, for instance.)

I once worked on an old Ford Crown Victoria, and having taken out the gas tank, I'm quite certain there's no way to drain it "from the bottom" -- there was only one opening, and it was most definitely on top. Conceivably a thief could steal its gas tank... there were just two large metal straps holding it to the undercarriage, so undoing the bolts securing the straps (and getting the filler tube out of the way... I seem to recall that it wasn't exactly obvious the first time I did this, although quite easy once you had everything apart once and could see how it all went together) and you'd be set. Of course, with a full tank of gas, you'd be talking well over 100lbs. as well, so there's definitely some danger involved. (Plus you first have to jack up the rear of the car to get under it in the first place...)

Seems to me siphoning is far easier. ... I don't know if there's a check ball in modern cars, though.

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

They're trivial to pry open, they're just simple sheet metal.

...Jim Thompson

           Liberalism is a persistent vegetative state

Found this:

Looks like typical gas tanks are made from plastic that can easily be drilled. :(

D from BC British Columbia Canada

Reply to
D from BC

Just hope that somebody doesn't borrow your license plate to get some gas. al

Reply to
eyezkubed

Even easier:

I hope some cop with a little free time on his hands tracked her down and busted her.

I love the logic -- "the gas station owners make their money on the food inside, so go in and buy something -- it's really the only polite thing to do" ... so somehow stealing gasoline only impacts the "not very nice" oil companies. Oh, and stealing gasoline is "a protest against the high price of gas." Um, yeah, right... I don't think she ever took economics in school...

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Spehro Pefhany wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

That's what makes locking gas caps so damn silly. By the time the creeps get to the cap, they've already done hundreds of dollars of damage in body work.

--
Scott
Reverse name to reply

Those locks are pretty easy to pop. Even the locks on gas caps aren't the most rugged if you know what you're doing.

yeah....Dropping a ~100 lb tank full of gas is probably a toughy for thieves.

On this video "How to Siphon Gas from a Newer Vehicle"

These guys mentioned a filter block. By design, I can believe a filter (or grill) exists to block debris from getting into the gas tank via the filling point.

I didn't ask the mechanic what the check ball is for and how it makes siphoning difficult. I'm guessing a secondary safety feature to prevent gas from pouring out if the car is overturned without a gas cap. Perhaps something to do with pressure in the tank.. I'll wait till my next visit to the mechanic to find out.

D from BC British Columbia Canada

Reply to
D from BC

I have an old Jeep I use for towing toys. No inside lever to unlock. Whenever I am traveling, it gets hit. I suspect the neighbor's kid. What this guy wants is a regular source from which he can get 5 gallons or so. Not enough to be noticed (but it is). And certainly not worth damaging the vehicle and drawing attention to his presence.

I did buy a locking cap for it earlier in the week, but have considered taking it off and going back to my original plan which is to connect a magnetic reed switch to the panic button on my spare door fob and put a rare earth magnet on the door latch. Open the door and the alarm sounds.

What I really would like is the exploding dye packs. One has to be careful that one does not create a dead fall situation however.

Security is like a set of stairs. You only raise the amount of effort needed to get to the next step. If someone is determined enough, they will conquer all the steps.

B. Farmer

Reply to
Bit Farmer

You need a second gas tank for your use, then leave the old filler and tank, filled with contaminated fuel. Like a couple pounds of mothballs to blow the engine in whatever he uses the stolen gasoline.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Sporadic E is the Earth\'s aluminum foil beanie for the \'global warming\'
sheep.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

How about a fuel theft alarm?? Current car alarms with vibration sensors may not be sensitive enough to trip if someone is drilling into a plastic gas tank. When the ignition is off, fuel level is monitored for sudden change by the alarm system. That could be mega$$$ project.

According to one site: " Mothballs increase octane. Believe it or not, this was once true. During World War II, naphthalene was the active ingredient in mothballs and octane ratings of gasoline were 60 to 80. Since naphthalene?s blending motor octane number is 90, mothballs could increase the fuel?s octane rating.

Today, though, modern mothballs contain para-dichlorobenzene (try saying that five times fast!) rather than naphthalene, but the latter is making a comeback due to toxicity concerns of the former. But considering the higher octane levels of today?s gasoline and the fact that naphthalene has a high melting point and can block jets and filters, mothballs are best kept in the closet. "

Also...

"Sugar in the gas tank will blow it up. The jerk who thought this one up assumed the sugar would melt, ooze into every nook and cranny of the engine and solidify once the engine was turned off and cooled down. Think giant candy mold. Wrong. Back in 1994, researchers at Berkeley figured out sugar doesn?t dissolve in gasoline. Oops. Sugar in the gas tank can play havoc with your fuel filter or require the gas tank be pulled and cleaned, but destroy the engine. Nope."

D from BC British Columbia Canada

Reply to
D from BC

Sno-o-o-o-ort ;-) I _like_ that idea!

...Jim Thompson

           Liberalism is a persistent vegetative state

Whenever

taking

reed

Where is the fun in that? No explosion, no flames, no flying shrapnel, and the perp can try it on another vehicle.

As far as a locking gas cap, I used to park my stepvan about six inches from the side of the house, blocking access to the gas cap, and the tank.

No, but sugar can dissolve in the water trapped at the bottom of the gas tank, and if the fuel level gets low enough it will be sucked into the fuel pump, filter and jets. Adding a couple gallons of water can make it more likely to happen, because the gas gauge will indicate you still have enough gasoline left for a few more days, or to get to the next town.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Sporadic E is the Earth\'s aluminum foil beanie for the \'global warming\'
sheep.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Whenever

taking

reed

If that is too much trouble, get a half dozen M-72 LAW and wait for them to reach for the gas cap. Then eliminate their getaway vehicle.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Sporadic E is the Earth\'s aluminum foil beanie for the \'global warming\'
sheep.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Even worse, here they're punching holes in the tanks and draining the gas into a pan. Not only do you lose $50 worth of gas, but chance a fire, AND get a $500 repair bill.

--
Keith
Reply to

[snip]

Right. Locking cap or not, its quicker for them to puncture the tank than fiddle around with a siphon or (noisy) pump.

Speed is n0 subsittute fo accurancy.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

The best protection is a garage door that can be locked.