OT: living a bit longer.

The latest issue of the Proceedings of the National (American) Academy of S cience has an interesting paper

They are talking about the way that the incidence of fatal cancers and infe ctious diseases rises with age.

The currently popular explanation for the rise in cancer incidence is that it take roughly six mutations in a cell line to make it cancerous.

The authors note that this doesn't stack up - two seems to be closer to the right figure, based on other data - and point out the human immune system works progressively worse as we get older, because the thymus gland generat es progressively fewer T cells as we get older.

If they figure the declining performance of the thymus gland into their mat hematical model, they get a better fit to the cancer incidence curve at abo ut 2.2 mutations.

The implication is that if we can get our thymus glands to perform better f or longer, we might live quite a bit longer. They do cite

Bredenkamp N, et al. (2014) An organized and functional thymus generated fr om FOXN1-reprogrammed fibroblasts. Nat Cell Biol 16:902?908.

which presumably implies that you might eventually be able to have somebod y grow you a new, extra thymus gland from your own tissues (and have it imp lanted) whenever it looks as if you need one.

Brave new world?

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

On Tuesday, February 20, 2018 at 10:57:00 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@ieee.org wrote :

Science has an interesting paper

fectious diseases rises with age.

t it take roughly six mutations in a cell line to make it cancerous.

he right figure, based on other data - and point out the human immune syste m works progressively worse as we get older, because the thymus gland gener ates progressively fewer T cells as we get older.

athematical model, they get a better fit to the cancer incidence curve at a bout 2.2 mutations.

for longer, we might live quite a bit longer. They do cite

from FOXN1-reprogrammed fibroblasts. Nat Cell Biol 16:902?908.

ody grow you a new, extra thymus gland from your own tissues (and have it i mplanted) whenever it looks as if you need one.

I think the more serious cancers exist because the tumors evade the immune system, healthy or not. The new CRISPR technology of genetically engineerin g the T-cells to attack the tumor shows the most promise.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

te:

of Science has an interesting paper

infectious diseases rises with age.

hat it take roughly six mutations in a cell line to make it cancerous.

the right figure, based on other data - and point out the human immune sys tem works progressively worse as we get older, because the thymus gland gen erates progressively fewer T cells as we get older.

mathematical model, they get a better fit to the cancer incidence curve at about 2.2 mutations.

er for longer, we might live quite a bit longer. They do cite

d from FOXN1-reprogrammed fibroblasts. Nat Cell Biol 16:902?908.

ebody grow you a new, extra thymus gland from your own tissues (and have it implanted) whenever it looks as if you need one.

e system, healthy or not. The new CRISPR technology of genetically engineer ing the T-cells to attack the tumor shows the most promise.

I think the point of the paper is that you have less T-cells around as you get older, so the immune system is less likely catch the cancer cells befor e they get established.

Once the cancer is well-established enough to be detected and treated, it's a different (and much more expensive) ball game.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

On Wednesday, February 21, 2018 at 9:54:52 AM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@ieee.org wrot e:

rote:

[...]

You missed the point. A healthy population of T-cells is not enough in many cases: " How tumors often evade tumor suppression mediated by innate killer cells is another major subject of the review."

CRISPR or similar is the answer, not a new thymus.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

ote:

[...]

ny cases:

s is another major subject of the review."

No, you are still missing the point. More T-cells suppress potential tumour s more effectively than fewer T-cells.

It's all chance, so some tumours get away - even in otherwise healthy young people - but your chances are better if you have more T-cells.

At my age, an extra thymus (with less adipose tissue than the old one) woul d probably improve my chances no end.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to