OT: Latest Japan Nuke report

Yes, but ever since the rapid deterioration of the Chernobyl sarcophagus was noticed they have been planning to build robots with this specific task in mind. I have read that the Redzone "Pioneer" robot is designed to withstand 1 million rads.

Reply to
Davej

It has been suggested that, while being off-line, it was busy enriching materials for a covert nuclear weapons program ... and this is the reason immediate international assistance was not called in.

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Epstein

That would account for there being a "reaction" ("blew up"?)at that core location.

I was going to suggest that the perhaps cooling systems between reactors may be connected, and allowed for a 'blow back' event type thing to occur.

I would demand access for inspection purpose, and then further determinations be made to show evidence of breeding/enriching behavior.

It should be very easy to spot the telltales of those operations, compared to a normal energy production scenario.

Reply to
MadManMoon

I wish they won't get a lot of flak for that, if it's discovered, because Japan should get nuclear weapons.

zero, and remove the last word.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

What the f*ck kind of bent brained opinion is that?

Reply to
MadManMoon

We should have given (or at least threatened) them to Japan long ago. It would have been a perfect bargaining chip; nuclear-free Japan for a "nice" N. Korea.

Reply to
krw

Such outright breaches of the Non Proliferation Treaty typically take place behind closed doors.

Japan is a virtual nuclear state right now. They can make nukes any time they want-- within months- without permission from anyone-- they have plenty of usable plutonium on hand (enough for maybe 1,000 warheads).

Unlike North Korea they have ICBMs that actually work, and their own spy satellites in orbit right now to target them.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Sure, it's a political issue. A signal that we would stand behind Japan's "proliferation" if NK didn't shape up would be all that's needed. IMO, Bush screwed that pooch.

The point here is that the diplomacy is worth more than the reality, here. If Japan declared that it couldn't deal with a nuclear NK without nuclear weapons itself, "China, if you don't want us to go nuke, do something" China would whack Kim.

Reply to
krw

There's a difference between plutonium reactor fuel and "weapons-grade" plutonium. Not as big a difference as is the case for uranium, but still significant. Even if they already had a refinement facility waiting to go, it would have to be a very large one to produce enough for 1000 warheads in a matter of months.

Also, getting a modern 3-stage weapon working wouldn't be straightforward even for a nation as technologically advanced as Japan. Even deploying a single-stage weapon without testing seems risky; one miscalculation and you get 1000 fizzles.

FWIW, I don't find the "covert nuclear weapon program" suggestion plausible. Such enrichment would be detected by any subsequent IAEA inspection of the plant, and blocking such an inspection would be no different to getting caught.

Reply to
Nobody

A few nukes would be sufficient for many purposes. The point about the

1,000 warheads worth of materiel is that cutting them off from foreign supplies (eg. sanctions or a naval embargo) would make no difference whatsoever.

I reckon they have fairly good computers in Japan, and may well have shared information with others at some points in time (for example, with Taiwan's covert nuclear weapons program).

I didn't say anything about 'covert'. There would be consequences (as with India and Pakistan), but once the domestic political decision was made by the Japanese to accept the consequences there would be no realistic way of stopping them. And they do have a domestic uranium enrichment facility (Rokkasho). This cat is already out of the bag, and not accidentially, I think.

BTW, this is precisely the capability that 'we' wish to deny Iran and presumably others- a breakout capability.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Iraq blocked inspections, and blatantly moved mobile labs just before inspections, for 10 full years, and in spite of fleets of air freighters and trailer trucks that went to Syria just before the 2003 invasion, most people are *convinced* they didn't have anything. Although Japan would have to return to a militarist oligarchy and position itself against the US before they could get the same consideration.