OT: Last know good Thunderbird version that won't white-screen on Win-7?

Folks,

By now I know that I am by far not the only one. Thunderbird white-screens a lot where it sits there totally unresponsive. A real productivity killer. Happens only in Windows 7, not in XP. It appears the issue has not been fixed or maybe cannot be fixed:

What is the last known good release that works ok in Windows 7 and where can one get it? Can it somehow be installed without losing the whole profile again (was a major pain to restore yesterday)?

I am asking here because else I'll likely be told to just file a bug report and many prople have apparently already done so to no avail.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Joerg, FWIW I am using W7 and have no problems at all. I do not understand the "white-screens" thing. What should I look for?

Reply to
John S

Just use Outhouse Excuse, it's just as good as Thunderbird >:-} ...Jim Thompson

Den fredag den 9. januar 2015 kl. 16.23.57 UTC+1 skrev Joerg:

I think I've seen there is problems with some virus scanners and thunderbird

especially something about mcafee real-time scanning, and thunderbirds own scanning conflicting

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

That is a pretty vague bug, i.e. could be caused by anything, virus scanners, hardware, corrupted profile. I have not read (or remembered) the whole of this thread but are you sure it is a problem with a particular version rather than a particular situation?

I would try in windows safe mode with networking, virus scanner turned off.

You can prove if it is a corrupted profile by temporarily moving it out of the way (rename the folder or edit the profile.ini IIRC).

Or similarly create a new user on the machine and start thunderbird as that user.

Apologies if you already did all this...

Oh you mentioned IMAP, should be no problem to add a new IMAP account then just drag all your old email over to it and delete the old account when done. Pretty sure you do not have to do one mail at a time, certainly you do not between different IMAP accounts say. Of course you need to get it working first...

Profiles are easy enough to move/copy once you find them. If slightly clunky.

--

John Devereux
Reply to

I am running 31.3.0 and touch wood have not had it lock out on me. Are you sure you don't have a dodgy add-in or script causing trouble?

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Maybe his swap file is too small. Not the thunderbirds settings... HIS OS. I would have 4 or 8GB on the host OS drive (c:?)and another 4 or

8GB on another physical volume(not partition), if possible.
Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Or use Eudora Pro v7... it's now freely available since Qualcomm relinquished its legal licensing requirements.

(Thunderbird is a poorly contrived rewrite of Eudora.) ...Jim Thompson

I use 31.3 .0 as well with win 7, no problems.

TTman

TB slows down, mostly when deleting emails. The email window fades into a whitish background and freezes up.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

If it doesn't improve I might.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Thanks, but I've had more than my fair share of trouble with this Windows 7 migration and I really do not want to do anything anymore that could upset this apple cart ever so slightly.

For now I'll just mark to be deleted emails and wait until lunch break to hit delete. Then it can recover while I eat.

That's what I thought. Until yesterday. For example, Windows 7 seems to take the liberty to re-assign directories as it sees fit.

Took me five minutes to write this because the darn thing froze again four times.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Turned it off, that is not the cause.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Haven't added a thing to it.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Try increasing the Windows swapfile size by a couple GB.

Maybe they are like Android and iPad apps where the idiots are data mining your machine CONSTANTLY and sending an entire bio back to the data suckers R us crew.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

The swap file is huge and it's an 8GB machine. I always turn all feedback options off because I do not trust them.

Why is it that nowadays one needs gigabytes to write "Hello World"? Have most programmers lost their bearings? I sure think so.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Good luck with that -- if you thought converting a POP account to IMAP was going to be a chore...

Reply to
Don Y

What AV are you running?

Certain ones are as dumb as a rock (I though this was fixed) and break the transport stream if you have particularly large emails in transit.

This is a fault in the AV program - essentially for a large enough file the time spent scanning the thing for viruses exceeds the timeout limit on the link and the data transfer goes into a tarpit. The last time I got caught by it there were multiple 20MB+ emails in the queue for me.

But it didn't white screen TB it merely resulted in an email that would never ever finish downloading.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

+1 Not just with TB and not necessarily only that AV program. But IME it usually manifests as huge emails that cannot be sent or downloaded and not as unresponsive white screens or deadlocks.

ctrl-alt-del and look to see where the CPU is being used would be my next way forwards or download some of the other detailed monitoring tools from sysinternals to try and figure out what is going on.

I honestly don't think there is any problem running the current version of TB with Win7 and a well behaved AV program.

I'll bet it is the cause. You need to completely unload it (not recommended) but then I wouldn't recommend using McCoffee anyway. I almost posted provided it isn't McC in the adjacent response.

I am at a loss to understand why so many corporates use it.

IMHO AV programs are getting almost as bad as the malware they are supposedly "protecting" us from. Who has not seen the wonderful early renewal notice that points to a website wanting 90% of full price when a complete new copy can be had from Amazon for 1/2 to 1/3 of that.

I have also experienced reliability problems when the AV renewal screen nagware is appearing during boot sequence with other AV progs.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

+42

it's helpful to know *if* the machine is doing anything, if it's blocking in a system call, etc. E.g., lots of disk activity and it may be compacting a "folder" -- possibly with a "bad spot" on the disk. *No* activity and it may be blocking in a system call -- waiting on the resolver or one of the remote services, etc. Lots of CPU activity but scant I/O then spinning in a script. Etc.

[I've had Windows hang for long periods of time "unexpectedly" -- only to LATER discover lots of complains about a failing disk in the syslog]

It's also unclear if Joerg did a clean W7 install -- followed by a clean Tbird install -- or tried to "upgrade" an older system.

Reply to
Don Y