OT: Known by the State of California to contain lead

Making sheets..

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Den mandag den 9. november 2015 kl. 22.28.27 UTC+1 skrev Spehro Pefhany:

making sheets of glass is kinda similar, it is done by floating molten glass on top of a bath of molted tin

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Ahah, Spehro is an Imgurian too... (or got sent from someone else, or, saw it on RCM perhaps?)

Curious what alloy they're using. The appearance of crystal formation seems to suggest high purity, which is bad news for any possible structural use (saggy!). I suppose if they're using them for roofing, that's not a big deal (or even an advantage for self-sealing?).

The other video I saw, they used the same process for making organ pipes. Kind of surprised at the sand bed, but I suppose that's better than doing it on, say, a table of sheet steel, that's just accidentally a little too clean one day, and now you can't keep the lead off it...

I wonder what these traditional crafts have to do to fit into modern regulations. Worker H&S? Grandfathering? Their products certainly aren't "RoHS" in the common sense...

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Tim Williams

I wonder if they make a RoHS version.

Reply to
krw

Just include with the product a little piece of paper that says "Do Not Eat".

Reply to
John S

It's curious to see the archaic process offered as a commercial product in NA. There must be a demand, perhaps in restoration or boutique construction?

The more common (read 'standardized') form is machine rolled.

There's also a drum casting process.

Sand casting is still a commercially viable process in some applications, but it's a hard sell in NA, for many reasons.

RL

Reply to
legg

And don't drop it on your foot.

Reply to
Tom Miller

Oh, that little piece of paper won't hurt at all.

Reply to
John S

AFAIUI, it's still used for IC engine blocks, albeit with a great deal of robotics and automation used.

We had some parts sand cast because it was cheaper to cast then machine the critical bits than to turn 1,000 lb of billet into 10-15lb of part.

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

It would seem to me that the hot (liquid lead would oxidize fairly fast,making at minimum a polluted "casting".

Reply to
Robert Baer

Heavy paper, man!

Reply to
Robert Baer

I had a 1992 Saturn SC whose engine block was investment-cast using a core made of injection-moulded styrofoam. You could clearly see the foam drop pattern in the aluminum, like wood grain in poured concrete.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

In NA?

RL

Reply to
legg

Den tirsdag den 10. november 2015 kl. 16.08.22 UTC+1 skrev legg:

I've seen a few churches here getting renovated and they made new lead sheets for the roof like that on site, I believe from the old lead they had taken down

Though I seem to remember that at some point they could get a fair bit of money exchanging the old lead for new lead. The old lead have less radioactivity and was needed for ICs