OT: Kicad crap - Page 2

Re: OT: Kicad crap
On Fri, 07 Jul 2017 23:04:50 -0800, Robert Baer

Comment not clear.

From KiCAD 4.0.6 32 bit running on Windoze XP, I don't see a "help"
file.  There is:
  Help -> KiCAD Manual
and
  Help -> Getting started in KiCAD
Additional manuals will appear when you invoke the sub-program, such
as the Eeschema Manual when running the schematics editor.

All of these help files open HTML pages on my machine, not on the
internet.  They open nicely using my default browser (Firefox).  When
I switch my default browser to Chrome, they also work.  There's no
demand that I use IE.

This is not going to be an exercise in you supply the minimum
information so that I can fumble around trying to decode what you're
using, what you're doing, and what errors you are seeing.  If you want
help running these help pages from within KiCAD, please get it from
one of the KiCAD specific forums, so that I can devote my time
discussing methane explosions and popcorn poppers.  If you're trying
to get to:
<http://kicad-pcb.org/help/
open a new Window with your unknown version of Windoze and view the
help from there using your favored browser.

Also, if the cost of a new machine is a problem, it is possible to buy
something up to date for about $100.  For example:
<http://www.ebay.com/itm/272714413544
Dell Optiplex 790 with i3 CPU, 4GB RAM, 250GB HD, and Windoze 10.
It comes in a tiny USFF (Ultra Small Form Factor) box, which will be a
problem if you want to add things.  I've bought several of these and
find that they make acceptable workstations.  Add at least another 4GB
of RAM and maybe later replace the HD with an SSD (Samsung EVO 850)
and you should have something usable.  My only problem with these is
that all the USB ports are 2.0, with no way to add a card for USB 3.0.

Re: OT: Kicad crap
On Tue, 04 Jul 2017 16:29:25 -0800, Robert Baer

There are quite a few PCB examples and YouTube videos online that were
successfully done using KiCAD:
<https://www.google.com/search?q=kicad+pcb&tbm=isch
I presume these people didn't have the problems you mentioned.

What is different about their computers and yours?  That might be a
clue as to why you're having problems.

I'm certainly no expert on using KiCAD.  Worse, I tried to use it
without reading the docs or tutorials.  It didn't take me long to
realize that it's not intuitive and that I needed some help.  So, I
followed the 10 part tutorial at:
<

https://www.youtube.com/user/NumatoLab

The video series is now 4 years old, so there may have been some
changes, but the basic functions seem to be the same.  There are other
much shorter video tutorials available, which might be more useful.
This one looks useful:
"KiCAD Quick-Start Tutorial"
<
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zK3rDhJqMu0

In other words, start over from scratch, return your settings to
defaults, assume nothing, follow a known working example, and get some
online help.

Re: OT: Kicad crap

You are handicapped, aren't you?

Watch these if you can urge your computer to do so and you can quit
bitching long enough:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zK3rDhJqMu0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoyO8OqKqVk

Re: OT: Kicad crap

If you don't want to take of advantage of the tutorials and don't have
the patience to experiment with it, then hire someone to do your layout
for you.

Re: OT: Kicad crap
   Tutorials! They were supposed to be a PART of the downloaded install.
   NOW,with the help of the numerous responders, i have a chance.

   Thanks.

Re: OT: Kicad crap

All the others have found these by using a working browser and looking at
the start page for KiCAD.

--
Reinhardt

Re: OT: Kicad crap
   I have TWO working browsers, neither are IE, and the programmatically
buried Kicad link demands/requires IE.

Re: OT: Kicad crap

Then you screwed up. Working out how is probably beyond you.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Re: OT: Kicad crap
   I certainly did.
   I merely downloaded the present version and installed it.   Error was
i made NO changes.

Re: OT: Kicad crap
ing
ave
yout
stall.
g at
lly

I just downloaded Kicad and installed it on my laptop - which has three bro
wsers - Explorer, Chrome and Firefox. Kicad did ask for my preferred text e
ditor and pdf viewer, but simply defaulted to Firefox as it's html viewer -
 Firefox is the brower I use most often. You could use Google to find someb
ody to ask on one of the Kicad forums to find out where in the program you
could fix the choice of browser.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Re: OT: Kicad crap
   Not going to bother.
   Too much steep uphill junk followed by mostly unworkable "solutions".
   Shit-canned Kicad and now USING DipTrace.

Re: OT: Kicad crap
ard
fix
tes
her
amn
acing
 have
layout
 install.
e.
ing at
ically
was
 browsers - Explorer, Chrome and Firefox. Kicad did ask for my preferred te
xt editor and pdf viewer, but simply defaulted to Firefox as it's html view
er - Firefox is the brower I use most often. You could use Google to find s
omebody to ask on one of the Kicad forums to find out where in the program
you could fix the choice of browser.

Of course you aren't. You don't want to use the program, but you do want to
 bitch about it being harder to use than you like.

Not the usual reaction. CAD programs do quite a lot of complicated stuff, s
o there's a learning curve, but Kicad seems to at least as acessible as any
thing else that can do enough to be useful.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DipTrace

It isn't free, nor even all that cheap. Open source is nice like that.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Site Timeline