OT - Keeping the Energy Debate Clean: How Do We Supply the World¹s Energy Needs?

I found the Proceedings of the IEEE reference I mentioned in the September 2013 thread "Re: DSP analysis of global temperature by Agilent chap".

It is "Keeping the Energy Debate Clean: How Do We Supply the World¹s Energy Needs? -- Proposed solutions include: Sensible energy conservation; Solar thermal collection using parabolic reflectors; Hydrogen used as an energy carrier in combustion engines and for energy storage and transportation", By Derek Abbott, Fellow IEEE, Proceedings of the IEEE, January 2010, pages 42-66.

Derek Abbott is at the University of Adelaide, Australia, where he is currently a full Professor in the School of Electrical and Electronic Engineering.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn

He sounds like an idiot. What would those parabolics cost? Where would the hydrogen come from? How does plan to store it?

Maybe he can talk the aussies out of exporting about 500 megatons of coal a year.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

In balloons ?>:-}

They just had a major shift to conservative. ...Jim Thompson

Solar energy (CSP) would be very feasible for the Aussies. Now they produce about 1kg of CO2 per kWh. Over here its about half that amount.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

Hydrogen is a flat out looser. Do the math.

Reply to
tm

e:

½s

The Proceedings of the IEEE is peer-reviewed journal. He obviously didn't s ound like and idiot to the referees who reviewed what he'd written.

Why not ask the people who use them? They are tolerably popular in thermal solar power systems.

There are a bunch of photolysis systems which generate hydrogen (and oxygen ) from water exposed to light and the right light-absorbing compounds. Chlo rophyll doesn't give you hydrogen, but chemists are fooling around with com parable compounds.

Storing it could be a problem. It can be used to make more tractable fuels.

Probably not. The risk that some fossil-carbon-fancying entrepreneur would react by organising a regime change - justified by some spurious story abo ut weapons of mass destruction - is a bit off-putting.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to