OT: Jack Ma Building a Company

Of interest:

Oct 18, 2018

Want to work for Jack Ma? These are the traits he looks for in a candidate

Growing a company requires hiring the right people. For Jack Ma, the man behind Chinese tech giant Alibaba, that's a process that took him some time to master.

Ma, speaking in the Indonesian resort island of Bali last week, recalled a hiring mistake he made in the early days of Alibaba.

"When I raised my first round of funds, it was $5 million. I hired a lot of vice presidents from multinational companies. One of the VPs of marketing came to me, he gave me a proposal, he said: 'Sir, this is our next year's business marketing plan,'" Ma said at the annual meetings of the International Monetary Fund and the World Bank.

As it turned out, that plan was designed to cost $12 million - way over the spending budget that the company could afford back then, Ma explained. But that employee admitted that he had never done a business plan below $10 million.

"So I said: 'Alright, it's not his fault, it's my fault,'" Ma said, adding that he realized his decision to hire those people then was akin to placing a Boeing 747 engine into a tractor.

No 'best' people

Since then, Alibaba has grown into an e-commerce giant with more than 80,000 employees worldwide and is one of the most attractive employers in China, according to a ranking by consultancy firm Universum.

Underpinning that success is one of Ma's first rules in hiring: Avoid the "best" people and the "experts."

"I hate to hire people who come as experts because there's no experts of future, they're always experts of yesterday," Ma said. "There are no best people. The best people are always in your company, you train them to become best."

And that starts with getting in people who are ready to learn and are not afraid to make mistakes, he added.

EQ and IQ

Topping the class is not a requirement to get hired by Jack Ma. In fact, Ma is known for shunning top performers.

In the book "Alibaba: The House That Jack Ma built," writer Duncan Clark said Ma preferred hiring people who are not top performers of their schools, according to an excerpt carried by Tech in Asia. Ma explained that the "college elites" would get frustrated easily when they face difficulties in the real world, according to Clark.

Even so, candidates must still have some smarts to navigate the ever-changing business environment, Ma revealed last week.

Ma said he tends to prefer people with a good emotional quotient because he finds that they make better leaders and team players. But without some intelligence, they wouldn't go far either, he added.

"You should have the EQ (to) work with others, you should have IQ so you know what you're doing," he said.

Optimistic people

Ma places a lot of emphasis on being optimistic, a trait that he said helped him build Alibaba into the tech juggernaut that it is today.

Being optimistic can help people turn a challenging situation into a favorable one, he said.

"As entrepreneurs, if you're not optimistic, you're in trouble," Ma said. "So the people I choose, they have to be optimistic."

Steve Wilson

How do you ride an Amtrak train?

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Carefully......

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

And painfully slowly, from what I hear.

Reply to
speff

The method I usually use is either buy a ticket online or at the station counter, wait for the train to arrive at the train station at the designated time, board the train, stow luggage in overhead bin, sit down in seat, and hand ticket to conductor on the train when it's requested.

It's not uncommon for some Chinese students in the US (or some American-born students for that matter) in their 20s to be unfamiliar and anxious about this process, it's not also uncommon for them to never have had a driver's license either. If you need to get somewhere your parents book you a flight and you fly to where you need to go and then your driver comes and picks you up at the airport.

Reply to
bitrex

"also not uncommon", rather

Reply to
bitrex

If you're fortunate enough to live along the Boston -> NYC corridor you can have an almost-TGV like experience. I commute between Boston and Providence from time to time, the service hits max speed along that stretch either 110 or 150 mph depending on whether it's the express or regional, 50 miles in around 20 minutes for $15-30 depending on class sure beats driving

Reply to
bitrex

Within the Northeast Corridor (DC - Boston), Amtrak is my favourite way to travel. You go from downtown to downtown with no hours of waiting and no TSA. First Class on the Acela is nearly as nice as the old Metroliner. (Now _that_ was a train--it ran for 50 years, with big cushy leather seats, mains outlets, decent food, and a bar car with an actual selection.)

Way faster than driving to the city airports, and much lower stress.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs