OT: It's Simmer Time in Arizona

About a half mile north of me (at Empire Blvd), looks like maybe a half-mile by half-mile field of corn a week or so away from harvest...

Hazy mountains in distance are Superstition Mountains... about 23 miles north.

...Jim Thompson

     Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions.

"It is not in doing what you like, but in liking what you do that
is the secret of happiness."  -James Barrie

long enough to create a steam-bath effect on the brick streets and slate roofs... and the mosquitoes were the size of chicken hawks ;-) ...Jim Thompson

     Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions.

"It is not in doing what you like, but in liking what you do that
is the secret of happiness."  -James Barrie

Unfortunately Zane Grey's cabin burned down during a forest fire a few years ago. The Girl Scouts raised the money to restore it... but it's not quite the same as the real deal :-( ...Jim Thompson

     Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions.

"It is not in doing what you like, but in liking what you do that
is the secret of happiness."  -James Barrie

...Jim Thompson

     Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions.

"It is not in doing what you like, but in liking what you do that
is the secret of happiness."  -James Barrie

Is there some Indian equivalent of the cowboy/samurai/Robin Hood/Zorro type?

lunatic fringe electronics

Corticosteroids use can lead to cataracts. Even the over the counter stuff. At least thats what my opthamologist says.

Martin Riddle

Well, I've had one lens replaced already, and I'll get around to the other one eventually.

Most people will get cataracts if they live long enough.

lunatic fringe electronics

Yep. Already done both replacements years ago ;-) ...Jim Thompson

     Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions.

"It is not in doing what you like, but in liking what you do that
is the secret of happiness."  -James Barrie

I don't think so, but I don't really know. As I occasionally point out here, India is a conglomerate of diverse races and cultures. My state and some others aren't just administrative divisions. We don't look, talk, act or think like majority Indians. Few of us know more than a smattering of the majority language Hindi which is not even officially the national language.

Of course, every culture has good guys and bad guys stories, but I don't think we have the equivalent of those legendary characters.

Reply to
Pimpom

Yep, the "Old West" of Hollywood and novels never actually existed. It was a lot less violent than was portrayed, and when gunfights actually happened there usually wasn't much romantic about them - that "pistols at high noon" stuff almost never occured. Shootings over grudges likely didn't go down much differently than the gangland drive-bys of today: get the drop on an unarmed guy when he's not paying attention, put a few rounds in his back, make getaway.

Yeah, I guess it's too "PC" to acknowledge that black men existed in that time to perform roles other than comic relief.

Reply to
bitrex

That's your problem, not enough violence.

lunatic fringe electronics

India has had its share of invaders, just like the US. I'm pretty sure your US 1st nations and Canada's consider that they were invaded after all...

John

Reply to
John Robertson

Who owns the land?

lunatic fringe electronics

It was pretty hot Saturday. Left the wife behind and took a colleague down to the Anchor bar so he could see where Buffalo wings were (allegedly) invented.

It's nice to see some good craft beers- Flying Bison Lager and a (I think) Weiss beer from Resurgence were both quite nice.

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

A co-hort and I had to go to Phoenix-Tempe 2 weeks ago to check out a customer's power system where a problem just showed up because it was

105 degrees and the units had no air ventilation at all.

Yeah, it's hot. Comfortable by the pool in the evening though. Nothing like that up here in the Seattle area.

boB

Reply to
boB K7IQ

Flying Bison is OK. I like the Southern Tier Brewery which is down near Jamestown. And there are all sorts of little breweries opening up around here. Some better, some not.

George h.

Reply to
George Herold

Den mandag den 19. juni 2017 kl. 07.44.16 UTC+2 skrev boB K7IQ:

I lived in Tempe for a while, first week there the AC didn't work in my apa rtment after that the heat didn't bother me much

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Ha! Over in Chalmette the mosquitoes *eat* chickens.

Cheers, James

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

rom

this kind ?

Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Hell, they must be puny. Most mosquitoes eat people, or even larger animals. ;-)

Reply to
krw