OT: It's Simmer Time in Arizona

OT: It's Simmer Time in Arizona...

Come on down and stay awhile >:-}

...Jim Thompson

| 1962 |

Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions.

"It is not in doing what you like, but in liking what you do that is the secret of happiness." -James Barrie

They are predicting a heat wave here, too. It might get into the mid or even upper 70's. Brutal.

All the women here seem to keep a stash of shorts and tee shirts and other flimsy tops that only appear during our rare heat waves. Maybe they always wear those tops, and we just never see them under the parkas. This coming Saturday, you won't be able to see the grass in Dolores Park for the bodies.

Notice the gradient:

SF is the cold spot, and temps increase at about 1 deg F per mile from there.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Wow! Look at those SF area humidity numbers!

When we hit peak temperature this afternoon the humidity will be 4%.

No sweat, we sublimate >:-} ...Jim Thompson

     Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions.

"It is not in doing what you like, but in liking what you do that
is the secret of happiness."  -James Barrie

Well, we have this "ocean" thing. But occasionally the prevailing wind switches to from the east, and then it gets hot and dry. Luckily, we never have hot and wet simultaneously.

One big reason I moved here was for the cool, humid climate and low pollen count. Steroids and a little RF ablation helped too.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

"Come for a visit -- and take someone HOME WITH YOU!" :>

I think we're expecting 115. What people don't understand is that the lack of humidity makes it almost comfortable (as long as you are not *in* direct sunlight). I think our dewpoint was -5F yesterday. I chuckle when I see folks wearing sweaters, at night (80F).

[Of course, I also chuckle when I see them wearing GLOVES in the winter: "Say what? It's still MUCH above zero!! How could you be cold?"]

First time I went swimming, outdoors, I wore a shirt to protect against sun exposure. Stepped out of the 104 degree pool and FROZE (literally, teeth chattering, etc.) -- in the 110 degree air! Great example of the effects of evaporative cooling as all the water stored in that shirt evaporated in short order -- taking much of my body warmth with it!

Reply to
Don Y

It's absolutely beautiful in Buffalo, 75F and 66 F dew point, no clouds. I may head home early. :^)

George h.

Reply to
George Herold

Yep. Non-desert-rats don't understand ;-) ...Jim Thompson

     Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions.

"It is not in doing what you like, but in liking what you do that
is the secret of happiness."  -James Barrie

Dew point? What's that? ...Jim Thompson

     Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions.

"It is not in doing what you like, but in liking what you do that
is the secret of happiness."  -James Barrie

I find it most amusing when the "winter visitors" depart -- because it's "simply too hot to stay" (good!). Then, head back to their summer homes in the hot and sticky parts of the country where they spend the entire summer INDOORS.

Reply to
Don Y

'Seasonably Hot with Sunshine'? I like how they use a variation on that theme for each day. Like somehow the sun is causing it to be hot.

Martin Riddle

Sonnuva gun! Who would have thought it was the Sun ?>:-}

I've been here in AZ for 55 years... I hardly notice the heat... I rather like it.

On the other hand COLD really gets to me, particularly after my 50# weight-loss and subsequent blood pressure drop to (av'g) 115/65

long-sleeved robe to watch TV in the great room :-( ...Jim Thompson

     Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions.

"It is not in doing what you like, but in liking what you do that
is the secret of happiness."  -James Barrie

Pretty hard to simmer something with no water.

Anyway, enjoy your summer. I hear they do dirt and rocks very well out your way. ;)

Being from the Great White North, I start to melt at around 75F but am comf ortable in shirt sleeves anywhere above freezing in still air.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
pcdhobbs

Vancouver, BC, running around 19 - 22C these days. That is around 66 to

72F. Mind you it rains a bit here...not too humid, nothing like back east! I grew up in Toronto - that city has heat AND humidity in spade fulls in the summer. Yuck...

John

Reply to
John Robertson

Should appeal to every lizard who follows our postings.

Endotherms will be less impressed.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

I remember--I lived there till I got married and went to grad school. (UBC is my alma mater.). Vancouver's a nice place when the weather's good, but t he grey skies and continual spitting rain got me down. Toronto seems almost as cloudy, and much colder in the winter.

NY is much sunnier. Except for the large cities and western Long Island it' s also super green and leafy, unlike the southwestern US.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
pcdhobbs

For me the main attraction is I can ride my motorcycles year round. Not many places in Canada give you that option!

John :-#)#

PS, and we don't feel the need to be armed to the teeth as we elect our governments democratically (ducking)

Reply to
John Robertson

Yeah, you're on the Canadian Riviera. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Actually I'm surrounded by corn fields and cattle and horse ranches; and the world's source of Valencia oranges is just a few miles to the west (Chandler Heights).

It's all acclimatization... when I was a student in Cambridge, off came the parka above freezing. Now I'm acclimatized to heat. ...Jim Thompson

     Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions.

"It is not in doing what you like, but in liking what you do that
is the secret of happiness."  -James Barrie

Nah, you just turned into a lizard without noticing. Had any strange urges to walk up walls or get Geico insurance? ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Well you are on the same latitude as the south shore of France. Next winter when you are inevitably buried in snow you can take solace in that fact.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso