OT: It gets worse... money back on your seagate harddisk

It gets worse... money back on your seagate harddisk

So, well, I bought a lot of those... but this seems US only... But to give money back because the average customer has no clue, and reads no specs, makes no sense to me.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Yes, looks like it.

Happens a lot here. I've got some vouchers flying around, one where where Microsoft lost such a case and so on. If you spill hot coffee on your lap you might be able to win a free financial retirement if it did not say on the cup that coffee can be hot. Seriously. It's rather sad that such things happen in the courts.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Joerg wrote:

You left out the part where the corporation had been told 700 times that there was no need to have the coffee at 3rd-degree-burn temperatures.

JeffM

On Oct 27, 8:33 am, Jan Panteltje wrote: > It gets worse... money back on your seagate harddisk >

The only issue is the fact that my 500 gig drive only holds 475 billion bytes? Only paid $120 for it 6 months ago. OK, its short on space and they're 'dishonest' but they didn't hold a gun to my head to buy it. (I didn't read the specs either)

GG

Reply to
Glenn Gundlach

Whether or not it was done deliberately, I don't know, but hard disc size specmanship has been commonplace. What ever happened to caveat emptor?

I'm sure the lawyers made more out of it than anyone else.

--
Jim Backus running OS/2 Warp 3 & 4, Debian Linux and Win98SE
bona fide replies to j  backus  jita

Jan Panteltje hath wroth:

Yep. You would get about $7 per drive to compensate for the serious damage caused by Seagate allegedly overstating their drive capacity by about 7%.

"Even if plaintiff's claims were successful, plaintiff's counsel estimate that the average recovery per Retail Hard Drive purchased would be only about $9.80 (before deduction of attorney's fees, costs and expenses), which is seven percent of the approximately $140 average purchase price. Using the same average purchase price, the average Settlement Class Member who makes a claim would receive approximately $7.00 in cash (five percent of the average purchase price) or Software valued at approximately $40."

But, there's $1,750,000 in attorney fees and only $5,000 to the victim.

How many bytes in a megabyte? 1,000,000 or 1,024,000 ?

Anyway, if you missed this one, there's plenty of other class action suits you can join in our search for the proverbial free lunch. Some electronics class actions:

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

On a sunny day (Sat, 27 Oct 2007 11:49:40 -0700) it happened Jeff Liebermann wrote in :

Oh, well, some I agree with, like the Sony rootkit case. After all the noise Hollywood made about normal people being criminals, good to see them punished for being one themselves.

But some others... typical US. I see these 'greencard' adds every day if I read my yahoo mail. They now cover half the screen, and get bigger and bigger. (Have cropped it so it does not show my eyahoo email data): ftp://panteltje.com/pub/greencard.jpg I do NOT feel like that, especially with Bush in power. Does US need us that much?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Many Usenet posters may be stupid.

I want compensation for their retarded attacks on society!

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored

Use your brain.

1000 GB is not 1024 GB, therefore 1000 GB actually calculates out (and properly so) to 976.5 GB.

But hey... PC tech types have known about this for DECADES!

Nobody lied to you. You lied to yourself when you told yourself that you knew what you were doing inside a PC case. :-]

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored

How can there actually be TWO idiots in the same thread that do not know about this? It has been common knowledge for decades!

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored

Don't know what you dolts are on about. Hard drive declarations have been that way across ALL manufacturers since the very beginning.

They declare the exact number of Bytes on the drive, and your format software declares the number of 1024 bit bytes.

That is what the parenthesized declaration in windows "properties" dialog is. Learn to look a bit closer. Even optical discs are like this.

4.5GB is really 4.7GB, etc., etc... ad infinitum. The new BR (Blu Ray), and HD DVD optical mediums are the same way.

You guys may have gotten on the bus years ago, but you sure didn't look out the windows at any of the scenery.

This is so old news!

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored

It has always been that way.

10MB was really 9.765MB

100MB was really 97.65MB

1GB was really 976.5MB 10GB was really 9.765GB

Are you guys beginning to see a pattern?

Hard drive makers have ALWAYS declared their drive sizes in absolute Byte configurations. One must ALWAYS, WITH ALL DRIVES divide that by

1024 to get the actual formatted size available.

The same is even true for floppy drives.

Jeez, people. Go into Windows file mangler, and right click on ANY file, and select "properties".

The file size is now, and has always been declared in two forms!

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored

One reason for that is marketing gigabytes vs. real gigabytes, and the other is usually file system overhead.

Hope This Helps! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Jan Panteltje hath wroth:

Such litigation is not about compensating the victims. It's about enriching the plaintiffs attorneys.

I don't think we invented product liability litigation, but we certainly optimized it to a fine art form.

Opinions vary radically on both sides of the arguement. America may be a horrible place to live, but the others are apparently far worse.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Mine's pretty bad,

Only 1 traffic warden, no traffic lights, and and not much work,but really it should be called Milfville

Martin

Reply to
Martin Griffith

No, the issue is real gigabytes (10^9 bytes) vs "RAM" gigabytes (2^30 bytes = 1,073,741,824 bytes, aka gibibytes or GiB). The smaller figure is the "real" one; the SI prefixes have been around a lot longer than PCs.

Just because it's convenient to use 1 "K" = 1024 for RAM, it doesn't mean that it needs to (or even should) be used for anything else. What next? People complaining that their 3GHz CPU doesn't run at 3*2^30 Hz?

Unlike RAM, the only power-of-two figure applicable to hard discs is the

512-byte sector size. In that regard, MKiB (megakibibytes = 10^6*2^10 bytes) would probably be the most appropriate unit for current hard discs.
Reply to
Nobody

Neither. A mega is 10^6 s, so a megabyte is 10^6 =

1,000,000 bytes. A mibibyte (MiB or "RAM megabyte" is 2^20 = 1,048,576 bytes). 1,024,000 is 1000 * 1024 = "make your fscking mind up".

Using "kilo" to refer to 2^10 was all well and good when RAM was actually measured in KB/KiB (and computers were maintained by people who could do arithmetic), as there's only 2.5% difference.

By the time you get to TB vs TiB, it's nearly 10% (2^40 =

1,099,511,627,776).
Reply to
Nobody

Sector size is related to written files and formatted hard disks. Therefore it would reflect 1024 factored figures.

The best way to reference it is RAW size, compared to FORMATTED size.

One refers to absolute figures, and the other refers to the same figures that file systems refer to.

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored

Nobody hath wroth:

Oh swell. We've replaced the bean counters with byte counters.

See:

The result is that today "everybody" does not "know" what a megabyte is. When discussing computer memory, most manufacturers use megabyte to mean 2^20 = 1,048,576 bytes, but the manufacturers of computer storage devices usually use the term to mean 1,000,000 bytes. Some designers of local area networks have used megabit per second to mean 1,048,576 bit/s, but all telecommunications engineers use it to mean 106 bit/s. And if two definitions of the megabyte are not enough, a third megabyte of 1,024,000 bytes is the megabyte used to format the familiar 90 mm (3 1/2 inch), "1.44 MB" diskette. The confusion is real, as is the potential for incompatibility in standards and in implemented systems.

So, we have 3 definitions of megabyte.

Yep. As soon as terabyte er... tebibyte disk drives are commodity items, the vendor are sure to be sued again. Hmmm... I can't seem to find any disk drives that have advertised capacity in mebibytes or gibibytes.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

From wiki on floppy drives:

Floppy disk sizes are almost universally referred to in imperial measurements, even in countries where metric is the standard, and even when the size is in fact defined in metric (for instance the 3½-inch floppy which is actually 90 mm). Formatted capacities are generally set in terms of binary kilobytes (as 1 sector is generally 512 bytes). However, recent sizes of floppy are often referred to in a strange hybrid unit, i.e. a "1.44 megabyte" floppy is in fact 1.44×1000×1024 bytes (which is 1.41 MiB or 1.47 million bytes), not 1.44 MiB (1.44×1024×1024 bytes), nor 1.44 million bytes (1.44×1000×1000 bytes). Other formats do exist, such as 1.22 MB 5¼ inch floppy variations, as well as other variations for the 3.5 Inch floppy disk.

So the NASA dude was wrong as well.

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored