OT is JT OK? - Page 5

Re: OT is JT OK?

You could read the studies.

NT

Re: OT is JT OK?

Uh, you mean the Bible?

Rick C.

Re: OT is JT OK?

Bzzt. Is it not just obvious that if you want to know the effects, you start with reading the research? Can you really have missed that?

Re: OT is JT OK?

I don't know what you are referring to as "research".

Rick C.

Re: OT is JT OK?

lol

Re: OT is JT OK?

He means applied wishful thinking by medically qualified god-botherers.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19370557

There are quite a few misleading papers in the medical literature, including some on the theraputic efficacy of prayer.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Re: OT is JT OK?
rote:
oing through, not that that will really change it.
o prayer could actually piss him off and cause someone harm, no?
art with reading the research? Can you really have missed that?

Tabb clearly hasn't read enough of what research there has been.

There has been published research on the theraputic efficacy of prayer.

It all seems to have been done by people who were medically qualified, rath
er than scientifically trained, and has never produced anything that was st
atistically distinguishable from no effect at all, though the statistical a
nalysis can show up in critical comments on the original papers, rather tha
n in the investigators' published report.

The Cochrane Collaboration thinks that the prayers, and the studies of thei
r efficacy, are a waste of time. If the patient knows about the prayers, th
ere may be a placebo effect, which is why the research has to be double-bli
nd.

If you are going to pray for somebody, you really ought to make sure that t
hey know about it. Claiming to have prayed for them seems very likely to be
 equally effective.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19370557

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Re: OT is JT OK?

https://www.gocomics.com/calvinandhobbes/2012/07/18 ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Re: OT is JT OK?

I have never seen any studies of scientific quality that showed any
significant statistical evidence that praying for someone helps.
(/Telling/ people that someone is praying for them can have a placebo
effect - equally, it can have a nocebo effect on those that think it is
a load of crock.)

Some studies have been published showing a negative effect of prayer,
but the metastudies all show it is completely irrelevant to the person
being prayed for, if they are not aware of it.

If it makes /you/ feel better, go ahead and pray - freedom of religion
is a wonderful thing, and you should take advantage of it.  If you think
it helps JT, or helps others in this group who worry about him, go for it.

Just don't imagine that there is any scientific evidence that praying
has an objective effect - positive or negative.

Re: OT is JT OK?

Ssshhh!!!  If you don't tell them it has benefit!  By telling them you destroy the effect.  Geeze, do you have to be such a killjoy?

;)

Rick C.

Re: OT is JT OK?

You only wrote that because I telepathically told your subconscious mind
to do so.  Better find that tin-foil hat - who knows what I'll make you
do next?

(What's the right smiley for evil cackling?)

Re: OT is JT OK?

Mr Brown is right on this one, the studies do not show benefit.

Re: OT is JT OK?
significant statistical evidence that praying for someone helps. "

It's a mater of faith Know what that is ? It's believing something for whic
h there is no evidence but someone who dresses funny said so. People someti
mes ask me if I believe in something. I ask them "What do you mean believe
IN ?". Either I believe something or I don't, I have no conception of belie
ving IN anything. There are things in which I place my confidence, but that
 is not faith. I got new tires so I am confident that I am not going to hav
e a random blowout. I tightened the screws really good on this workbench I
built so I am confident that it is not going to fall down. That chair looks
 pretty well constructed, I am fairly confident I will not be injured becau
se of it collapsing when I sit in it.

And I can't pray anyway. I will not bow to anything or anyone. Ever. I will
 not worship anyone or anything. EVER. Praise is meted out sparingly. I don
't thank people for doing their job and I don't expect it either. I won't a
ccept thank for helping someone at work. I tell them "The same guy pays bot
h of us, that means this is a team, you owe me no thanks".

I got rid of all that bullshit on my life and religion went with it. If the
re is a god as most people conceive him, I'm pretty sure he doesn't want pe
ople blindly following words written by mentally unstable people and spendi
ng all day cowering in fear. Any god worth a shit would want you to do your
 own thinking.

So really, if you "believe", you don't WANT my prayers, they might piss off
 your god and he kills the guy.

I wish him well. I hope he gets out of the death camp alive and well. With
any luck he slipped and fell and just has to deal with that, if the rest of
 your body works you are on pretty good shape. Even if it is an accident/in
jury, those are harder to deal with when old, and he invented dirt, it's on
 his website. As long as he is not permanently crippled, it is better than
having your organs not working. Maybe I should send him some whiskey, I can
't drink it.

Re: OT is JT OK?

Yes, especially when most of it happens on Sundays, His day off.

I really love the comments of George Carlin on this.

\Gerhard

Re: OT is JT OK?

.com:
le.
hrough, not that that will really change it.
er could actually piss him off and cause someone harm, no?

which one of the many Gods?

Re: OT is JT OK?
On Mon, 6 Aug 2018 13:50:22 -0700 (PDT), Lasse Langwadt Christensen

There can't be multiple Gods. If there were, they would have destroyed
the universe with civil wars by now.

Re: OT is JT OK?

ail.com:
te:
e:
while.
g through, not that that will really change it.
rayer could actually piss him off and cause someone harm, no?

humans have spend a lot of time killing each over it

Re: OT is JT OK?
On Mon, 6 Aug 2018 14:10:52 -0700 (PDT), Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Humans are fallible.

Re: OT is JT OK?

So are gods, in all religions that have multiple gods.  It is only
monotheist religions that like to think their god is infallible (and
even then, they are not so sure - look at the times the OT god changes
his mind).

And often, in polytheist religions (and the OT), the gods fight their
civil wars by proxy, using humans.

Re: OT is JT OK?

.@gmail.com:
rote:
e:
hile.
ng through, not that that will really change it.
o prayer could actually piss him off and cause someone harm, no?

OT?

Rick C.

Site Timeline