OT is JT OK?

My experience is that people with high IQ's do not do many dumb things. Less dumb things than people with average IQ's. But agree that people ( regardless of their IQ ) do stupid things if their emotions dominate their perception and reasoning.

It seems to me that people with high IQ's tend to start their own businesses.

Bill Gates, Zuckerman, Neil Hecht, I know some more but their names would not mean much to most of those here.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

stening to what they say or by reading what they write. then you are a lot stupider than the average bear.

ur posts. But for a number, my estimate is 128 for a single number. And my estimate for error is + 12 -8 .

I'm curious about the equation you used. Care to share? I'm impressed it includes error ranges.

As someone pointed out, my IQ must be pretty low, I don't have any idea of the IQs of other people here.

I've always found my IQ to be a bit isolating. I was at a friend's party o nce where I had not met many of the other people there. Someone in the sat ellite business was talking about the difficulty of launching a satellite i nto a polar orbit and I chimed in that it would be even more difficult to l aunch into a retrograde orbit or something like that and the guy stopped, t urned to my friend and asked "who is this guy?" like he expected no one to know what he was talking about. I know that's not a great example, but the fact that you "know stuff" is often best hidden in social settings and I'v e always found that to be hard to do. Kinda like having money, better if y ou don't flaunt it.

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

would be interesting to wait a bit and give others a chance to give their e stimate of your IQ. Then we could see if the group average is a better est imate, and whether the group tends to estimate high or low. And I guess al so show if anyone cares.

We can wait a long time. I actually don't know my IQ. I took an online te st once that gave me a number (after trying very hard to extract my credit card number). Then some time later, months or maybe years, I took the same test and got *exactly* the same score. That makes me think maybe it was r igged and the number is fake. They never gave us our IQs when we were test ed in school.

Bottom line is IQ measures something very specific and is not a good measur e of how well you can do in life. IQ may help when you are learning math o r physics, but even in a technical field there are many other characteristi cs indicative of how well you will do. I find sincerity to be one of the m ost important ones. If you can fake that, you've got it made!

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

I sent Jim an email a while back... no word. He is certainly in my thoughts and prayers.

George H. (I wish you guys would take your IQ pissing contest to some other thread.)

Reply to
George Herold

would be interesting to wait a bit and give others a chance to give their estimate of your IQ. Then we could see if the group average is a better es timate, and whether the group tends to estimate high or low. And I guess a lso show if anyone cares.

I would say John is speaking from personal experience, but he never acknowl edges his limitations, especially in areas outside his field of experience.

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

On Friday, August 3, 2018 at 7:33:09 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrot e:

test once that gave me a number (after trying very hard to extract my credi t card number). Then some time later, months or maybe years, I took the sa me test and got *exactly* the same score. That makes me think maybe it was riggI was tested in grade school, but never was told my results. ed and th e number is fake. They never gave us our IQs when we were tested in school .

I was tested in grade school, but never was told the results. But much late r I joined the Navy and took the Navy GCT. And later took an IQ test given by Lockheed. And then later still, I worked at a Satellite tracking stati on. A friend who was working as a tech wanted to get tested. So I contact ed the HR in Sunnyvale and they decided it would be a good thing to get all the crew tested. And sent me copies of the test and I tested everyone. So I knew the IQ for about 35 people. The friend that wanted the test scored over 150. He lat er went to college and got some graduate degree. As I remember the lowest score was 120 and the highest was my friend.

ure

There have been numerous studies and there is some correlation between IQ a nd success in life. But there are a lot of other things involved.

Dan

IQ may help when you are learning math or physI was tested in grade school , but never was told my results. ics, but even in a technical field there a re many other characteristics indicative of how well yoI was tested in grad e school, but never was told my results. u will do. I find sincerity to be one of the most important ones. If you can fake that, you've got it made!

Reply to
dcaster

:

t would be interesting to wait a bit and give others a chance to give their estimate of your IQ. Then we could see if the group average is a better e stimate, and whether the group tends to estimate high or low. And I guess also show if anyone cares.

test once that gave me a number (after trying very hard to extract my credi t card number). Then some time later, months or maybe years, I took the sa me test and got *exactly* the same score. That makes me think maybe it was rigged and the number is fake. They never gave us our IQs when we were te sted in school.

ure of how well you can do in life. IQ may help when you are learning math or physics, but even in a technical field there are many other characteris tics indicative of how well you will do. I find sincerity to be one of the most important ones. If you can fake that, you've got it made!

Online IQ tests are worth jack. Seriously. They seem to exist to flatter pe ople to get them to see ads.

IQ is one of a handful of things you need to do well in life, so it only co rrelates with doing well, however you choose to measure doing well.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I expect he's in hospital. I wish him the best with what he's going through, not that that will really change it.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I mostly agree with that. I'm agnostic, so pray only works 1/2 the time. Can't hurt.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

I hope he gets well, I'm thinking he ren into some complications again.

Martin Riddle

How do you know prayer can't hurt? God works in mysterious ways, so prayer could actually piss him off and cause someone harm, no?

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

You could read the studies.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Dan doesn't know what I've scored on IQ test, and he hasn't bothered to tel l us what he has scored, so it isn't a particularly credible assertion. And rather ignores the fact that Mensa exists to allow dim people who score we ll on IQ tests to boast about that fact.

Dan doesn't know how much I'm worth, and he hasn't been silly enough to tel l us what he is worth, so it's another one of his self-serving guesses..

That says nothing about your intelligence.

Dan could claim to be smarter than Einstein on the same basis.

That says nothing about your intelligence.

Dan is a little too dim to realise that he hasn't produced any evidence to support his claim, or that making unsupported claims makes him look dim.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

ell us what he has scored, so it isn't a particularly credible assertion. A nd rather ignores the fact that Mensa exists to allow dim people who score well on IQ tests to boast about that fact.

And you do not know what I scored on IQ tests, but your posts give a good i dea of your IQ. For example you are the only one that has mentioned Mens a and that has nothing to do with what your IQ is or what my IQ is. In simp le terms it was not intelligent to mention Mensa.

ell us what he is worth, so it's another one of his self-serving guesses..

No but I know what my net worth is and it is doubtful that your net worth i s as high.

Ah more evidence that you are not very smart. What college you attend doe s say something about one's intelligence. For example Jim went to MIT. Th at pretty much says that he has an IQ of at least 120. That he did it on a scholarship pretty much says he has an IQ of at least 130.

What basis?

t enough to see how contracts wOf course it does. I was smart enough to se e how contracts were nearing an end point and act to find another job befor e the contract ended. Smart enough to get along with other employees and s mart enough to rank high in the stacking. list of the company. Those may be simple things, but you spent a lot of time unemployed.ere nearing an en d point and act to find another job before the contract ended. Smart enoug h to get along with other employees and smart enough to rank high in the st acking. list of the company. Those may be simple things, but you spent a lot of time unemployed.

Of course it does. I was smart enough to see how contracts were nearing an end point and act to find another job before the contract ended. Smart en ough to get along with other employees and smart enough to rank high in the stacking. list of the company. Those may be simple things, but you spen t a lot of time unemployed.

o support his claim, or that making unsupported claims makes him look dim.

Ah, but you make unsupported claims all the time. For example " that makin g unsupported claims makes him look dim ". Where is the support for that claim? Of course it does. I was smart enough to see how contracts were nearing an end point and act to find another job before the contract ended. Smart en ough to get along with other employees and smart enough to rank high in the stacking. list of the company. Those may be simple things, but you spen t a lot ofOf course it does. I was smart enough to see how contracts were nearing an end point and act to find another job before the contract ended. Smart enough to get along with other employees and smart enough to rank h igh in the stacking. list of the company. Those may be simple things, bu t you spent a lot of time unemployed. time unemployed. Dan, EarthOf course it does. I was smart enough to see how contracts were nearing an end point and act to find another job before the contract ended. Smart enough to get along with other employees and smart enough to rank high in the stacking. list of the company. Tho se may be simple things, but you spent a lot of time unemployed.

Reply to
dcaster

tell us what he has scored, so it isn't a particularly credible assertion. And rather ignores the fact that Mensa exists to allow dim people who scor e well on IQ tests to boast about that fact.

idea of your IQ.

snip

you're arguing with a fool whose only interest is to waste your time and in dulge his ego.

Reply to
tabbypurr

tell us what he has scored, so it isn't a particularly credible assertion. And rather ignores the fact that Mensa exists to allow dim people who scor e well on IQ tests to boast about that fact.

idea of your IQ.

Dan is convinced that he can judge IQ by reading other peoples posts. This is probably a missapprehension, as I shall proceed to illustrate.

nothing to do with what your IQ is or what my IQ is. In simple terms it was not intelligent to mention Mensa.

Looking at it another way, it requires a certain amount of intelligence to work out why I might have mentioned Mensa, and you haven't got that much in telligence.

tell us what he is worth, so it's another one of his self-serving guesses. .

is as high.

You may doubt that I am worth that much, but since you don't have any facts to go on, it's pointless assertion.

oes say something about one's intelligence. For example Jim went to MIT. That pretty much says that he has an IQ of at least 120. That he did it on a scholarship pretty much says he has an IQ of at least 130.

In fact Jim's IQ was high enough to have got him into Mensa - which is abou t 150. He was planning on joining until he got to meet a representative sa mple of members.

Elite US colleges can be more selective than less famous places, but the st udents that get in exhibit a range of abilities, and the fact that most of the students that get in have high IQ scores says nothing about the intelli gence of any individual student.

Einstein got his tertiary education at the Swiss Federal Polytechnic in Z

It's tenth in the world university pecking order these days, while Harvard is 6th, and the University of Melbourne is 32nd.

If Dan were half as intelligent as he seems to think he is, he'd have been able to work that out for himself.

Of course Einstein's undergraduate university studies ran from 1896 to 1900 so the pecking order might have been different back then. My own undergrad uate education ran from 1960 to 1962, which isn't quite as long ago, but st ill long enough for the pecking order to have been different from today's.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

e:

to tell us what he has scored, so it isn't a particularly credible assertio n. And rather ignores the fact that Mensa exists to allow dim people who sc ore well on IQ tests to boast about that fact.

od idea of your IQ.

indulge his ego.

Tabb and Dan do like to think that I'm a fool, and trying to persuade them otherwise is a complete waste of time, but Dan's pretensions are seductivel y easy to send up.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Two of them.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Uh, you mean the Bible?

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

tell us what he has scored, so it isn't a particularly credible assertion. And rather ignores the fact that Mensa exists to allow dim people who scor e well on IQ tests to boast about that fact.

idea of your IQ. For example you are the only one that has mentioned Me nsa and that has nothing to do with what your IQ is or what my IQ is. In si mple terms it was not intelligent to mention Mensa.

tell us what he is worth, so it's another one of his self-serving guesses. .

is as high.

oes say something about one's intelligence. For example Jim went to MIT. That pretty much says that he has an IQ of at least 120. That he did it on a scholarship pretty much says he has an IQ of at least 130.

art enough to see how contracts wOf course it does. I was smart enough to see how contracts were nearing an end point and act to find another job bef ore the contract ended. Smart enough to get along with other employees and smart enough to rank high in the stacking. list of the company. Those m ay be simple things, but you spent a lot of time unemployed.ere nearing an end point and act to find another job before the contract ended. Smart eno ugh to get along with other employees and smart enough to rank high in the stacking. list of the company. Those may be simple things, but you spent a lot of time unemployed.

[...]

You seem to be very self occupied. Everything you mention about comparing the two of you is about you. You still have no idea of Bill's situation in life.

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit