OT: IP Address Look-up

Suppose I search an IP address...

148.246.173.75

And it comes back with...

inetnum: 148.246/16

rather than a range.

What does that mean? ...Jim Thompson

Den torsdag den 31. marts 2016 kl. 17.45.03 UTC+2 skrev Jim Thompson:

I'd assume that it means all 2^16 addresses 148.246.xxx.xxx is owned by the same company, in this case: Mexico Red de Telecomunicaciones, S. de R.L. de C.V.

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

/16 IS a range. see

148.246.[0.0] to 148.246.[255.255]
Reply to
Cydrome Leader

My son is an admin at a NYC banking concern and is just setting up a new network. Just bought 100 consecutively numbered IP addresses. big bucks! You would think that this would be a good start for IPV6 but nope, all IPV4 addresses. Much as the IPV6 readiness day was touted (was it two years ago?), almost nobody in data transport is ready.

Reply to
Oppie

Good! I'll kill the whole range >:-} ...Jim Thompson

           The touchstone of liberalism is intolerance

somebody got taken for a ride.

There's no shortage of IPv4 space. It's available to who who need it, with no issues at all. Anybody who states otherwise is a liar, plain and simple.

I've run into more issues requesting smaller than /24 public address space from upstream providers.

Like water, address space is recycled and reused all the time.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

I think most ISP lease it for $1 or $2 per month.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

Even if that's the case (may be for some companies, never paid an extra fee myself) you can tell they're not out of them at those prices.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

that is a range.

see also: CIDR

--
  \_(?)_
Reply to

Paid 8 bucks a piece in qty 1024 a couple of years ago, APNIC though. seems like a bargain when the hosting company wants to rent us addresses for $1/month

give it another 10 years...

--
  \_(?)_
Reply to