OT: Internet via Cellular

Since DC notes it's a slow day around SED, let's get some opinions:

Is anyone else worried about what might become of the cellular/PCS airwaves now that the iPhone (and other popular smartphones) are taking over? Are we going to turn the airwaves into a morass of SPAM and movies, turn-by-turn navigation, and [?? Insert anything else other than a simple voice phone call]?

I read once that spam made up more than 2/3rds of all email. Is that coming to cell phones next?

Is it really necessary to take 300 MHz from the broadcast television spectrum and give to folks like AT&T, Verizon, Sprint and T-Mobile? (In the US, I mean).

I submit that the cell phone network is not well-suited to sling- boxing your home video surveilance rig to your iPhone. Or if it is, how soon until the networks are so damn congested, we may as well go back to writing snail mail letters to each other? Just wondering...

-mpm

Reply to
mpm

On a sunny day (Mon, 29 Mar 2010 18:18:31 -0700 (PDT)) it happened mpm wrote in :

Not worried, it will happen.

But the 'ether waves' already are, now TV crap, then more interesting stuff that [oeple themselves make.

More like 90 % junk here, if not more. Keep your number secret (not listed).

Will improve content :-)

Well, this is what I do, ssh to my home system and do everything from there too. Watch youtube if I can get enough speed, web browser opera on the GSM mobile phone too, weather, news, even IRC chat I have.

Best is pigeons with USB memory sticks or SD cards, highest data throughput.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Not really.

It already is!

Spam is actually a lot better these days than, say, five years ago IMO -- the vast majority of it gets stopped at the ISP due to much-improved filtering programs/blacklists/etc.

But sure, whatever spam you do have will certainly show up on your cell phone.

Heck, I've been checking e-mail on my phone since about 2004 -- and I'm not even a particularly early adopter. I bet someone like Jan was doing it back in 2001...

Nope, although it's not really necessary to not do so either: It's not like what you see on broadcast TV these days is much better than what you find on the Internet. :-)

The Internet also wasn't designed to stream audio or video -- there's many millions of dollars at play here, and you can bet the protocols and other changes needed to make wireless video-on-demand a reality will be developed "as needed."

Again, you could say the exact same thing about the Internet itself -- most people on this group likely had their first web browsing experiences using a dial-up and at the time the idea that you could have a 10Mbps pipe coming into your home for $1000/mo, which is probably more like >$2500 once you adjust for inflation...)

Wireless of course has the bandwidth problem to contend with -- you can only make cell sites so small in order to gain capacity and then you just need more spectrum. It's also manageable by going to higher frequencies -- look at WiMax, for instance, at 5.8GHz -- but that doesn't propagate through walls very well.

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner