OT: Interesting study about fake news - Page 5

Re: OT: Interesting study about fake news
ote:
ence.  But one points to the other side and claims they are more stupid.  T
his explains it and it does make sense.
argeted-trump-supporters/515433/
 "hyper-attuned" to hazards. They beleive it's better to believe a hazard m
ay exist than ignore it.
nking critically.
 to believe conspiracy theories that align with their beliefs.
ever worked, it never takes off. You'll get debunked within the first two c
omments and then the whole thing just kind of fizzles out."
s of misinformation, but you want to make it a 1 sided story while denying
it's 1 sided.
demia. But remember all the stuff they came up with, including the Internet
.
ervative, and yet I can change my oil, do house repairs, and design electro
nic products.

Something that doesn't need to be done often still needs to be done. I thou
ght you just got done saying conservatives are better with physical, danger
ous stuff?

You may have a point there, hence the purpose of regulation. Too much is ba
d, too little is bad. The financial collapse about a decade ago was a resul
t of too little: you'd think lenders wouldn't put themselves in such a prec
arious predicament, but given free reign people will do some stupid things
for short term gain.

Re: OT: Interesting study about fake news

I let professionals work on my car. They have the tools and computer
interfaces. And the lift; ground clearance is not what it used to be.

Have you noticed that military people tend to be conservatives, and
women and gays tend to be liberals?

The working class lose their cars and houses and go to jail if they
shoplift a chicken. The Wells Fargo execs steal billions and get
bonuses.

lunatic fringe electronics

Re: OT: Interesting study about fake news
:
te:
:
ligence.  But one points to the other side and claims they are more stupid.
  This explains it and it does make sense.
s-targeted-trump-supporters/515433/
are "hyper-attuned" to hazards. They beleive it's better to believe a hazar
d may exist than ignore it.
thinking critically.
als to believe conspiracy theories that align with their beliefs.
s never worked, it never takes off. You'll get debunked within the first tw
o comments and then the whole thing just kind of fizzles out."
ypes of misinformation, but you want to make it a 1 sided story while denyi
ng it's 1 sided.
and
academia. But remember all the stuff they came up with, including the Inter
net.
onservative, and yet I can change my oil, do house repairs, and design elec
tronic products.

One doesn't need much for tools and computer interfaces to change oil. I'm
just very picky (scratches, etc) and refuse to hand it over for things I ca
n do myself. But this is a digression. Nothing wrong with taking a car in f
or an oil change.

al, dangerous stuff?

Yeah well based on Republican's apparent hate for LGBT and taking away of w
omen's reproductive rights it's not surprising. And rednecks, the uneducate
d (I'm not saying the reverse is always true), and the KKK tend to also be
conservatives, while academia, tech heavy areas, and up until recently, uni
ons were liberal/voted Democrat.  I'm sure many more demographics could be
placed into each bucket. Trying to claim one or the other is less macho/hum
an/smart/whatever doesn't make a lot of sense.

I have a close relative who's gay and he's a great guy.  He and his partner
 are highly educated and together earn way more than the average couple and
 contribute to society. Not sure why all the hate.

 bad, too little is bad. The financial collapse about a decade ago was a re
sult of too little: you'd think lenders wouldn't put themselves in such a p
recarious predicament, but given free reign people will do some stupid thin
gs for short term gain.

Maybe not billions going straight to a few people.  But I don't disagree.

Re: OT: Interesting study about fake news

Do all cars still have drain plugs? I think that some suck out the oil
from the engine compartment, with a pump. But the Audi gets the entire
service, all computer interfaced, maybe every six months. The dealer
is two blocks away, so it's easy.

Like Milo? He has a black boyfriend.

Some people think babies have rights. That's an emotional call. There
are extreme positions on both sides and, like everything else, camps
are polarized. Bell-shaped curves are increasingly bimodal.

My next-door neighbor is gay. He lets me borrow his chainsaw.

Re: OT: Interesting study about fake news
ote:
:
ote:
telligence.  But one points to the other side and claims they are more stup
id.  This explains it and it does make sense.
news-targeted-trump-supporters/515433/
ey are "hyper-attuned" to hazards. They beleive it's better to believe a ha
zard may exist than ignore it.
in thinking critically.
berals to believe conspiracy theories that align with their beliefs.
 has never worked, it never takes off. You'll get debunked within the first
 two comments and then the whole thing just kind of fizzles out."
t types of misinformation, but you want to make it a 1 sided story while de
nying it's 1 sided.
s, and
out
of academia. But remember all the stuff they came up with, including the In
ternet.
n conservative, and yet I can change my oil, do house repairs, and design e
lectronic products.
'm just very picky (scratches, etc) and refuse to hand it over for things I
 can do myself. But this is a digression. Nothing wrong with taking a car i
n for an oil change.

I sure think so. The pump you're talking about is something that some peopl
e do, but I don't care for it because it doesn't flush away the crap like o
pening the plug does. I just hate handing my car over to someone else...not
 as much now as when my car was new.

sical, dangerous stuff?
), and the KKK tend to also be conservatives, while academia, tech heavy ar
eas, and up until recently, unions were liberal/voted Democrat.  I'm sure m
any more demographics could be placed into each bucket. Trying to claim one
 or the other is less macho/human/smart/whatever doesn't make a lot of sens
e.
ner are highly educated and together earn way more than the average couple
and contribute to society. Not sure why all the hate.

Re: OT: Interesting study about fake news
Den torsdag den 14. september 2017 kl. 22.26.36 UTC+2 skrev snipped-for-privacy@gmail.c
om:
e:
te:
intelligence.  But one points to the other side and claims they are more st
upid.  This explains it and it does make sense.
e-news-targeted-trump-supporters/515433/
they are "hyper-attuned" to hazards. They beleive it's better to believe a
hazard may exist than ignore it.
t in thinking critically.
liberals to believe conspiracy theories that align with their beliefs.
st has never worked, it never takes off. You'll get debunked within the fir
st two comments and then the whole thing just kind of fizzles out."
ent types of misinformation, but you want to make it a 1 sided story while
denying it's 1 sided.
ngs, and
ith
s out
s of academia. But remember all the stuff they came up with, including the
Internet.
han conservative, and yet I can change my oil, do house repairs, and design
 electronic products.
.
.
 I'm just very picky (scratches, etc) and refuse to hand it over for things
 I can do myself. But this is a digression. Nothing wrong with taking a car
 in for an oil change.
ple do, but I don't care for it because it doesn't flush away the crap like
 opening the plug does. I just hate handing my car over to someone else...n
ot as much now as when my car was new.

I believe some German cars no longer have drain plugs, I guess the idea is
that any crap in the oil should be taken of by the filter and it doesn't ta
ke up a lift draining it

Re: OT: Interesting study about fake news
On Thursday, September 14, 2017 at 4:09:22 PM UTC-5, Lasse Langwadt Christe
.com:
ote:
e:
rote:
e intelligence.  But one points to the other side and claims they are more
stupid.  This explains it and it does make sense.
ake-news-targeted-trump-supporters/515433/
e they are "hyper-attuned" to hazards. They beleive it's better to believe
a hazard may exist than ignore it.
est in thinking critically.
n liberals to believe conspiracy theories that align with their beliefs.
just has never worked, it never takes off. You'll get debunked within the f
irst two comments and then the whole thing just kind of fizzles out."
erent types of misinformation, but you want to make it a 1 sided story whil
e denying it's 1 sided.
hings, and
 with
nds out
t.
ngs of academia. But remember all the stuff they came up with, including th
e Internet.
 than conservative, and yet I can change my oil, do house repairs, and desi
gn electronic products.
ne.
er
be.
l. I'm just very picky (scratches, etc) and refuse to hand it over for thin
gs I can do myself. But this is a digression. Nothing wrong with taking a c
ar in for an oil change.
eople do, but I don't care for it because it doesn't flush away the crap li
ke opening the plug does. I just hate handing my car over to someone else..
.not as much now as when my car was new.
s that any crap in the oil should be taken of by the filter and it doesn't
take up a lift draining it

The filter can't always get it if the junk settles to the very bottom of th
e pan as the sump won't suck it up. If you have an example of a modern car
without an engine oil drain plug I'd love to see it. Some automatic transmi
ssions, yes.  Engines? I doubt it.

Re: OT: Interesting study about fake news
On Thu, 14 Sep 2017 14:09:17 -0700 (PDT), Lasse Langwadt Christensen

I check the dipstick now and then, but I needn't bother. The level is
always right and it always looks nice and clean. The computer will
tell me if anything needs attention.

At some point in life (like, when I could afford it) I quit working on
cars. Rolling around on the ground, getting dirty fingernails, bumming
rides to the parts place, somehow lost its appeal.

I used to do full teardowns, replace clutches and pistons and tranny
synchronizers, all that stuff. I've paid my dues.

I've also surrendered in the manual/automatic war. The girls refused
to drive my car in SF if I didn't go automatic. Shifting is barbaric,
like manual chokes and hand-crank starters. The Audi has a cool
automatic brake thing too, for when you have to stop on a steep
uphill; it locks the brakes until you're ready to go again.

Re: OT: Interesting study about fake news

Really?  So they just get 90% of the old oil out with a hose?  I've seen
this done on boats where accessing the drain plug is very hard, but it seems
odd on cars.

I wonder if they have a special place to work on cars without a lift...
Every shop I've seen has lifts in all the bays.

--

Rick C

Re: OT: Interesting study about fake news
il.com:
:
ote:
:
te:
rote:
telligence.  But one points to the other side and claims they are more stup
id.  This explains it and it does make sense.
news-targeted-trump-supporters/515433/
ey are "hyper-attuned" to hazards. They beleive it's better to believe a ha
zard may exist than ignore it.
in thinking critically.
berals to believe conspiracy theories that align with their beliefs.
 has never worked, it never takes off. You'll get debunked within the first
 two comments and then the whole thing just kind of fizzles out."
nt types of misinformation, but you want to make it a 1 sided story while d
enying it's 1 sided.
gs, and
th
 out
s of academia. But remember all the stuff they came up with, including the
Internet.
han conservative, and yet I can change my oil, do house repairs, and design
 electronic products.
e..
e..
l. I'm just very picky (scratches, etc) and refuse to hand it over for thin
gs I can do myself. But this is a digression. Nothing wrong with taking a c
ar in for an oil change.
people do, but I don't care for it because it doesn't flush away the crap l
ike opening the plug does. I just hate handing my car over to someone else.
..not as much now as when my car was new.
 is that any crap in the oil should be taken of by the filter and it doesn'
t take up a lift draining it

ems

I'd have to see it to believe it. It makes no sense to not put an oil drain
 plug on a car. It's always been done that way, it's cheap, effective, and
often the filter is underneath anyway.

If anyone can point me to a car without one, I'd be very interested to be p
roven wrong.

Re: OT: Interesting study about fake news

il.com:
mail.com:
te:
:
te:
rote:
intelligence.  But one points to the other side and claims they are more st
upid.  This explains it and it does make sense.
e-news-targeted-trump-supporters/515433/
they are "hyper-attuned" to hazards. They beleive it's better to believe a
hazard may exist than ignore it.
t in thinking critically.
liberals to believe conspiracy theories that align with their beliefs.
st has never worked, it never takes off. You'll get debunked within the fir
st two comments and then the whole thing just kind of fizzles out."
rent types of misinformation, but you want to make it a 1 sided story while
 denying it's 1 sided.
ings, and
with
ds out
.
ngs of academia. But remember all the stuff they came up with, including th
e Internet.
 than conservative, and yet I can change my oil, do house repairs, and desi
gn electronic products.
one..
ter
 be..
oil. I'm just very picky (scratches, etc) and refuse to hand it over for th
ings I can do myself. But this is a digression. Nothing wrong with taking a
 car in for an oil change.
oil
ire
e people do, but I don't care for it because it doesn't flush away the crap
 like opening the plug does. I just hate handing my car over to someone els
e...not as much now as when my car was new.
ea is that any crap in the oil should be taken of by the filter and it does
n't take up a lift draining it
seems

in plug on a car. It's always been done that way, it's cheap, effective, an
d often the filter is underneath anyway.
 proven wrong.

a bit googling tells me that a mercedes c300 and probably others are meant
have oil sucked out and the filter is also on top right next to the valve o
ver

but it does seem to have a drain plug plug hidden under a bunch of covers u
nder the car

Re: OT: Interesting study about fake news
On Sunday, September 17, 2017 at 7:24:50 AM UTC-5, Lasse Langwadt Christens
en wrote:

mail.com:
@gmail.com:
rote:
te:
rote:
e intelligence.  But one points to the other side and claims they are more
stupid.  This explains it and it does make sense.
ake-news-targeted-trump-supporters/515433/
e they are "hyper-attuned" to hazards. They beleive it's better to believe
a hazard may exist than ignore it.
est in thinking critically.
n liberals to believe conspiracy theories that align with their beliefs.
just has never worked, it never takes off. You'll get debunked within the f
irst two comments and then the whole thing just kind of fizzles out."
ferent types of misinformation, but you want to make it a 1 sided story whi
le denying it's 1 sided.
things, and
g with
inds out
ot.
nings of academia. But remember all the stuff they came up with, including
the Internet.
al than conservative, and yet I can change my oil, do house repairs, and de
sign electronic products.
Oil
 done..
puter
to be..
e oil. I'm just very picky (scratches, etc) and refuse to hand it over for
things I can do myself. But this is a digression. Nothing wrong with taking
 a car in for an oil change.
e oil
ntire
ler
ome people do, but I don't care for it because it doesn't flush away the cr
ap like opening the plug does. I just hate handing my car over to someone e
lse...not as much now as when my car was new.
idea is that any crap in the oil should be taken of by the filter and it do
esn't take up a lift draining it
een
t seems
..
rain plug on a car. It's always been done that way, it's cheap, effective,
and often the filter is underneath anyway.
be proven wrong.
t to
 over
 under the car

Yeah it's under a shroud. I'm not so sure that means it's meant to be sucke
d out though.

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w205/596646-where-oil-drain-plug-c300.ht
ml

We used to have a car similar to that. I simply took the shroud off and nev
er put it back on.

Re: OT: Interesting study about fake news

The filter is *not* on the bottom.  On mine the filter is just below the
alternator and very hard to reach with any grip.  They removed the petcock
from radiators long ago so you now have to remove the lower radiator hose to
drain the coolant.  If they really think they don't need the oil drain plug,
I can see how they would get rid of it.  I just don't like it.

--

Rick C

[...]

A Gaussian - bell-shaped - curve isn't bimodal. A distribution can be,  but
 John Larkin should have enough sense to know that he needs to provide a li
nk to an illustrative distribution to make the point

This is a fairly elementary mathematical point, and it does reinforce the o
bvious point that John Larkin rarely knows what he is talking about, and ha
s probably invented a "bimodal" distribution that exists only in his imagin
ation.

), and the KKK tend to also be conservatives, while academia, tech heavy ar
eas, and up until recently, unions were liberal/voted Democrat.  I'm sure m
any more demographics could be placed into each bucket. Trying to claim one
 or the other is less macho/human/smart/whatever doesn't make a lot of sens
e.
ner are highly educated and together earn way more than the average couple
and contribute to society. Not sure why all the hate.

Thus he's not liberal?

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Re: OT: Interesting study about fake news

Dick Cheney has a lesbian daughter, but his politics still showed contempt
for the LGBT community.

Obviously a conservative.  Does he also hate gays?

--

Rick C

Re: OT: Interesting study about fake news

Age & money have a lot to do with that. Not particularly politics.

NT

Re: OT: Interesting study about fake news

Also how much of a "car guy" the person is. I'd rather pay someone the same price to mow my 0.25 acre lot than pay a professional to change oil.

[...]

Can't say I have. Military people do tend to be gay, which does complicate
the interpretation of John's observation.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Re: OT: Interesting study about fake news

[snip]

I'm sure glad it's John Larkin who's now "out of touch" instead of me
being Slowman's whipping boy >:-}

                                        ...Jim Thompson
Re: OT: Interesting study about fake news

There's no physical principle that says that there can be only one right-wing half-wit with a feeble grasp of reality. The relevant statistics are Bose-Einstein, not Fermi.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Site Timeline