OT: Interesting study about fake news - Page 4

Re: OT: Interesting study about fake news
No, what are you, stupid? He gets to pick and choose what facts to believe. If Trump says 1+1=3, he'll find a way to prove it's true even if that means claiming the ancient Indians, Greeks and Arabs were wrong in their math theories.

Re: OT: Interesting study about fake news

I think the answer to that question is obvious.  I'm posting in this group
aren't I?

--

Rick C

Re: OT: Interesting study about fake news
e getting
nal
tionable, are you ok with the POTUS publicly belittling anyone who gets in
in way? Like I mentioned somewhere else on SED, I'd be in the HR office, or
 worse, if I did some of the crap he does.
hat
e.
wer
ng
r self-imagined 'elite.'
ce,
er
making
ible.
le.
the person in charge of investigating the firing, without some questioning
and investigation from Congress and other gov't agencies.

Doesn't matter what Hilary said in this case. Comey set off the Mueller inv
estigation and someone is going to get the book thrown at them.

Re: OT: Interesting study about fake news

Wait....aren't people with guns afraid and neurotic???? To say someone with no guns are afraid and neurotic....just makes no sense.

And what do chainsaws and pickups have to do with this? I know you like to argue against everything you don't like hearing regardless of the factual basis, but this is ridiculous.

There's your anecdotal evidence (at best) again that's supposedly more correct than actual research. But I wouldn't of expected anything more.

Sheesh. The article wasn't trying to crap on conservatives or liberals; it's simply different ways of thinking, but you're offended by anything that doesn't suit you.

Re: OT: Interesting study about fake news

No, they like shooting guns, and anyone who seriously tries to mess
with them.

Agreed. Who said that?

Dealing with physical reality, big forces and high velocities and
apparently dangerous stuff, is not something that urban softies like
to do. It scares them. Lots of things scare them.

People who drill oil wells and drive tractors and maintain high
voltage lines are a different class of people from stock brokers and
schoolteachers and New York Times subscribers. Really.

Which class would survive longest without the other?

Sadly, research ain't what it used to be.

Re: OT: Interesting study about fake news
ce.  But one points to the other side and claims they are more stupid.  Thi
s explains it and it does make sense.
geted-trump-supporters/515433/
hyper-attuned" to hazards. They believe it's better to believe a hazard may
 exist than ignore it.

<snip>

And with good reason. If you can pay somebody else to run those risks for y
ou, your chance of making to old age are enhanced.

The stock brokers and the school teacher got the easier and less dangerous
jobs. That makes them smarter the people who got stuck with more dangerous
and less well-paid jobs of drill oil wells, driving tractors and maintainin
g high voltage lines, and more likely to see the advantage of paying for a
subscription to the New York Times. There's a real difference between these
 sorts of people but not the kind of difference that John Larkin thinks he
sees.

Remove either group, and the other group would be in serious trouble. Moder
n society is a complicated collaborative system and you couldn't chop arbit
rary chunks out of it and expect to keep on working. John Larkin isn't into
 complicated systems, so he may not be aware of this.

ing critically.
orrect than actual research.

There's nothing sad about the fact that research is today more conscious of
 it's tendency to get the results that it likes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mismeasure_of_Man

John Larkin won't have read this, and wouldn't have got the message if he h
ad.

He wants research to give him the results that he wants, and he's happy to
write off research that tells him stuff that he doesn't want to know. Accor
ding to him, all the science that demonstrates the reality of anthropogenic
 global warming is bunk - he can't explain why, though he tries to do so by
 confusing climate modelling with using LTSpice, which isn't an exhibition
of clear thinking.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Re: OT: Interesting study about fake news

What's this have to do with liberals being "afraid and neurotic"?

"But the most afraid and neurotic people are liberals. The conservatives are out there with.....shotguns. "

Seems clear to me that's what you're implying. I couldn't have made something up like that.

Have you tried writing fiction?

Seriously, I don't even know where to start.

And this is an engineer saying this.

Again, this is an engineer saying this? What's your point? You seem to have gone off the deep end.

ROFL

That might be a good way to cope with a statement you don't like, but this only works for so long.

Re: OT: Interesting study about fake news
critically.

John likes research from people who aren't researchers, to paraphrase
Trump's comment about McCain.

--

Rick C

Re: OT: Interesting study about fake news

They would all die without civil engineers.

Re: OT: Interesting study about fake news

So, if you pack a shotgun you AREN'T afraid? How does that work? Strikes
me that folks that are normally unarmed are not afraid of their fellow
humans. Where as folks armed to the teeth are a might bit concerned
about something...

Recall your history?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/opinions/1999/07/15/the-tame-west/26d686f8-7380-4c1b-a26d-b0a9aa46beed/?utm_term=.6424b0724df4

And other research shows that both Liberals and Conservatives fall for
the same clap trap / cons (fake news):

http://fortune.com/2017/02/10/liberals-fake-news/

John

Re: OT: Interesting study about fake news

I guess some people have guns because they are afraid, but the ones
that I know like guns and have a "bring-em-on" attitude about threats.
Or are simply serious about the realities of life.

I know lots of people whose lives are significantly compromised by
(mostly irrational) fears. They tend to be leftists. But then, I'm
mostly surrounded by leftists.

Sure; most news is heavily biased these days. I blame the Internet.

Re: OT: Interesting study about fake news
  But one points to the other side and claims they are more stupid.  This e
xplains it and it does make sense.
ed-trump-supporters/515433/
er-attuned" to hazards. They believe it's better to believe a hazard may ex
ist than ignore it.

I wonder why John Larkin thinks that, A plausible explanation is that he do
esn't know much, and thinks that people who worry about stuff he doesn't kn
ow about are being afraid and neurotic, rather than treating real risks wit
h the seriousness they deserve. Anthropogenic global warming might be a cas
e in point.

Which makes them neurotic about having their pickup get bogged on some coun
try track that they shouldn't have been driving down in the first place.

 critically.

Compared with John Larkin? Who can't do critical thinking, and accepts ever
y bit of nonsense he gets fed by a denialist web-site as if it were carved
on tablets of stone by a religious leader (whom less gullible people might
recognise as a successful confidence man).

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Re: OT: Interesting study about fake news

Thank you John for illustrating the point so clearly!

--

Rick C

Re: OT: Interesting study about fake news

Re: OT: Interesting study about fake news

 But one points to the other side and claims they are more stupid.  This ex
plains it and it does make sense.
d-trump-supporters/515433/
r-attuned" to hazards. They beleive it's better to believe a hazard may exi
st than ignore it.
critically.
lieve conspiracy theories that align with their beliefs.
orked, it never takes off. You'll get debunked within the first two comment
s and then the whole thing just kind of fizzles out."

So let's be clear. Both sets are more prone to believe different types of m
isinformation, but you want to make it a 1 sided story while denying it's 1
 sided.

NT

Re: OT: Interesting study about fake news

I think that conservatives tend more to work with physical things, and
liberals tend more to do people-oriented things. And working with
physical stuff is more grounded in reality; a farmer soon finds out
that he did something wrong, but a schoolteacher may well not.

Re: OT: Interesting study about fake news
:
e.  But one points to the other side and claims they are more stupid.  This
 explains it and it does make sense.
eted-trump-supporters/515433/
yper-attuned" to hazards. They beleive it's better to believe a hazard may
exist than ignore it.
ng critically.
 believe conspiracy theories that align with their beliefs.
r worked, it never takes off. You'll get debunked within the first two comm
ents and then the whole thing just kind of fizzles out."
f misinformation, but you want to make it a 1 sided story while denying it'
s 1 sided.

That might be just a little bit true given the political leanings of academ
ia. But remember all the stuff they came up with, including the Internet.

And you generalize a lot. I consider myself to be more liberal than conserv
ative, and yet I can change my oil, do house repairs, and design electronic
 products.

And don't ask for proof again because I'm not falling for that trap.

Re: OT: Interesting study about fake news

I don't change oil any more; I let the dealer do everything. Oil
doesn't need changing often now.

There have always been all sorts of people... farmers, hunters,
caregivers, warriors. I think that in a village, they knew one another
and understood the functions. Now we have physically separated
classes, coastal elites and flyover-land farmers and worker-guys. 100
cable TV channels and thousands of web news sites further the cultural
separation. Not to mention a government that collects 20% of GDP and
distributes more.

Those deplorable types without college degrees (their kids have
useless degrees and hundreds of kilobucks in student debt) know that
if they do something wrong, they will get hurt. Wells Fargo ripped off
millions of them, clearly grand theft and conspiracy on a giant scale,
but nobody from WF is going to jail.

Things are getting less civil.

lunatic fringe electronics

Re: OT: Interesting study about fake news

Wow!  What an amazing collection of unrelated information apparently to
substantiate a totally unrelated conclusion.

When have we been free of oppression by the rich?  That is how the world has
always been.  Today the "oppression" is very low level and usually harmless
such as paying high fees to banks, cable companies and the like.  Once in a
while someone like Madoff pulls a grand caper no different from Bonnie and
Clyde.

Don't know why you are calling anyone else deplorable.  That term was coined
to describe people like you who think it is good to put down and climb over
the backs of others.

The part I really don't get is how 100+ cable channels has any part in the
grand conspiracy.

--

Rick C

Re: OT: Interesting study about fake news

ote:

ervative, and yet I can change my oil, do house repairs, and design electro
nic products.

And you've got enough money that paying somebody else (with all the right t
ools) to do it makes sense. Been there, done that.

Thata long time ago, in a much less productive soceity.

If the US wasn't a plutocracy, run by incompetent plutocrats, the governmen
t would collect more in taxes and spend more on education and public health
. That didn't happen in your village, which couldn't afford to have kids no
t working or sick people eating.

The university degrees don't have to be useless, but a long as universities
 are run as for-profit institutions, the emphasis will be on putting studen
ts through courses that are cheap to teach, rather than teaching them stuff
 that is worth knowing.

Wells Fargo is part of the plutocracy. What did you expect? The US is defin
itely getting less civilised. It's one of the side effects of massive incom
e inequality.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Spirit_Level:_Why_More_Equal_Societies_Al
most_Always_Do_Better

Since this is based on academic research, and comes to a conclusion you won
't like, you won't take it seriously. Foolish.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Site Timeline