OT: Interesting study about fake news - Page 3

Re: OT: Interesting study about fake news

He's working on it. He's plonked me - or claims to have - and now seems to be deciding that everybody else who tries to use rational argument on him is a sock-puppet of me, so presumably he's going to plonk them too.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Re: OT: Interesting study about fake news

The ideal would be to have him plonk himself...

David (not Bill).

Re: OT: Interesting study about fake news

What's common is to admire the design and urge people to stick to it.
That's a matter of principles, not word-worship.

Mostly not necessary--human nature is not essentially different today,
not in the aspects the Constitution relates to.  Men are still men,
with the same basic motives and impulses they've ever had.  Greed,
envy, corruption, lust, power--none of those are new.

That is a most awful slander, and complete nonsense to boot.  They could've
established a monarchy and made themselves nobles.  They didn't.  Many of
them destituted themselves, instead.

The U.S. constitution is a statement of principles, not policy, so it doesn't
have that problem.  Ours just says the federal government has the power over
immigration and naturalization; the rest is left to Congress to enact and
modify by passing appropriate laws.

Well that depends on the constitution, doesn't it?  If it's a statement of
policy toward Jews, that may well change over time.  If it says people should
be free to live their lives unmolested by their countrymen, foreigners, or
their government--basic principles of liberty--that never changes.

Cheers,
James Arthur

Re: OT: Interesting study about fake news
On Wednesday, September 20, 2017 at 1:38:27 PM UTC+10, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

<snip>

Anybody who admires the design of the US constitution hasn't seen anything
better - that a matter of ignorance. James Arthur claims to know about othe
r constitutions, so his ignorance is intentional.

The phrase "Those who own the country ought to govern it" goes back to John
 Jay, a founding father and the first Chief Justice of the Supreme Court. I
t may be a libel, but he seems to have said it quite often.

dn't.  > Many of them destituted themselves, instead.

Who? The founding tax evaders had been pre-empted by Franklin and Paine - t
hey couldn't have got away with establishing a monarchy, or making themselv
es nobles, but they could set up a political system with enough build-in po
rk barrels to let them do just as well.

sn't
ver
ould

The US federal government molested whiskey distillers early on, by collecti
ng a tax on the whiskey they distilled. It was enough of a molestation to i
nspire a small rebellion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whiskey_Rebellion

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Re: OT: Interesting study about fake news

You're wasting your valuable time arguing the toss with this Sloman sock-
puppet, James.

Re: OT: Interesting study about fake news

And another conspiracy theory embeds itself into his brain...

But... then again... maybe it's true!

In that case, Bill, you have hidden talents!

Please let me take this opportunity to thank you for your many hundreds
of insightful c and c++ posts in comp.arch.embedded under your "David
Brown" pseudonym, over the past 20 years! :)

--

John Devereux

Re: OT: Interesting study about fake news
k-

I'd love to be able to make that claim, but I'm not silly enough to try to
live up to it. My mastery of "c" stopped at "Hello world". I've still got m
y copy of Kernigan and Ritchie - though my wife kept lending it to her grad
uate students from time to time - but the situation that prompted me to sta
rt getting into it didn't persist.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Re: OT: Interesting study about fake news

I haven't been posting for quite that long (I have been programming
embedded C for 20+ years, but not posting on Usenet all that time).  But
I'm glad my posts have entertained or enlightened at least one person :-)

I really can't figure out why CD thinks I am Bill.  I guess we have some
overlap in our viewpoints (compared to CD and some others here, we are
both "leftist weenies"), but we have plenty of differences in opinions,
lots of differences in knowledge and experience, and very different
styles of writing.

I suppose if CD has plonked Bill and doesn't read his posts, then maybe
he can't see such differences?

Re: OT: Interesting study about fake news

I suspect some random pattern-matching neuron fired.
Normally such firings are "authenticated" and suppressed
by the higher reasoning capabilities in the neocortex,
but there's a lot of evidence that is deficient in
CD's case.

Re: OT: Interesting study about fake news

Because you look so much like him!  Well, everyone here who is not a ultra
right conservative looks the same to him.  He thinks we are all the same
person.

--

Rick C

Re: OT: Interesting study about fake news

I wasn't planning on arguing, but it seemed a reasonable chance to explain
why a document articulating timeless principles doesn't need constant
updating to stay relevant and valid.

The U.S. constitution gives the power over immigration and naturalization to
Congress, and the Congress can update and alter the applicable laws whenever
it wants to.

The timeless part--Congress having the power, not the Executive--is in
the Constitution. The changeable part resides in ordinary laws, easily
updated and changed.

The policy can change however it has to without affecting the overall
architecture & plan.  That's part of the beauty of it.

Cheers,
James Arthur

Re: OT: Interesting study about fake news

Except for the parts that are no longer beautiful.  Like the fugitive slave
clause in Article 4, clause 3.  An amendment finally adopted in 1865
outlawing slavery.  Do you think this and all the other amendments were
mistakes?

The Constitution of the US is not perfect.  It was a series of compromises
and has been evolving over time as it will continue to evolve.  There is
nothing "timeless" about it.  I expect in a couple more hundred years it
will be modified a great deal more.  Hopefully the the electoral college
will be abolished in the near future.  "One man, one vote" needs to be used
to elect the President.

--

Rick C

Re: OT: Interesting study about fake news

James isn't wasting his time. What he posts doesn't make much sense, but he
 does seem to have his quota or right-wing propaganda to churn out, and he
doesn't much care who it gets ostensibly directed at, which frees him from
the responsibility to change his arguments even if they've been comprehensi
vely dismantled in earlier exchanges.

You and krw are clearly too dumb to notice this kind of point. James may no
t be. He does sometimes give evidence of having read stuff that has been di
rected at him.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Re: OT: Interesting study about fake news

Maybe, but that neither addresses nor affects the point.

The current president doesn't have that respect, unless
he says one thing and believes the contrary.

No doubt people have said similar things about previous
presidents, but The Orange Lord is a particularly
transparent and egregious example.

Sounds like the way muslims regard the Koran, and Hadith
(vaguely equivalent to The Acts of the Apostles), and maybe
the Sunnah and Bid?ah

Re: OT: Interesting study about fake news
 getting
al

That's sounds awfully uninformed.  Obama was utterly rogue w.r.t. the
Constitution--spying on people, DACA, Obamacare, illegal appointments,
and lot more.

Trump's been pretty good thus far, veering only in not fully undoing all
of Obama's illegal stuff.

But that's just yet another vague characterization.

What principle do you think is outmoded?  A free press?  Elections?  The ri
ght
to free speech?  The right to a trial?  Distributed democratic rather than
concentrated autocratic government?

Do you think that men are no longer ambitious, or, unchecked, try to
accumulate and exercise power in their own interest?  Is there not still
treason and crime today, or the need for a national defense, and a currency
?

These things haven't changed.

It's fashionable, but not sufficient to say calculus is invalid and wheels
should no longer be round, simply because both are old.

Cheers,
James Arthur

Re: OT: Interesting study about fake news
On Wednesday, September 20, 2017 at 12:32:59 PM UTC+10, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co
re
the

It's not so much uninformed as incorrectly informed. James Arthur knows wha
t every other right-wing lunatic knows, which is that Obama was a Democrat,
 and thus bad, so whatever he did was unconstitutional. Less biassed observ
ers - and there are lot of them - beg to differ.

For one thing, Obama started off as a constitutional lawyer, and would have
 known how to do what he wanted within the constitution (which never was a
tightly drafted document).

Ask any right-wing lunatic. Trump's a total disaster, and only the fatal di
visions between the right-winger in the Republican Party and the far-right
or Tea Party faction have stopped him from making a more extravagant mess.

right

Where does the "democratic" come from? The founding tax evaders were terrif
ied by democracy, which they saw as mob rule, and wanted power concentrated
 in the hands of people who had enough money to be likely to have had an ed
ucation.

Trump exists.

And the taxes to pay for them

The US constitution is based on a flawed philosophy - Moderate Enlightenmen
t - which has been replaced by the Radical Enlightenment when it comes to c
onstructing political constitutions.

It took Newton and Leibniz to invent calculus, and Spinoza to invent the Ra
dical Enlightenment. The rearguard action against the Radical Enlightenment
 was rather better motivated than the reluctance to take up calculus, and h
eld up progress for rather longer.

The US constitution embodies something closer to the political equivalent o
f the phlogiston theory which was being discarded at much the same time as
the US constitution was being drafted.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phlogiston_theory

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Re: OT: Interesting study about fake news

So you believe the SCOTUS rulings of Obama's terms in office were all "fake
rulings"?  If what Obama did was illegal why didn't the SCOTUS deal with
him?  Obviously you don't believe in the rule of law.

Interesting that when ever something truthful is said about Trump the cry is
"what about Obama"?  A fried was a kid and his step-sister (who didn't like
him much) was being reprimanded by the dad for having been caught with pot
in school.  She turns to my friend and said, "But John was eating M&Ms!!!"
That's you, Trump is caught with pot in school and you are crying out about
Obama's M&Ms!!!

--

Rick C

Re: OT: Interesting study about fake news
On Fri, 15 Sep 2017 08:18:54 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

It looks like the antifa-loving, anti-free-speech thing has peaked and
gone back some. And the lefty press is a little less absurd these
days. The Berkeley cops are starting to do their jobs, protecting
everyone. The slow negative feedback is kicking in. I think a
generation of students will react against the boring group-think (and
miserable social justice courses) they have been exposed to... another
slow feedback.

lunatic fringe electronics

Re: OT: Interesting study about fake news

The FBI director was grossly inept and political. Hillary just said so
in her book.

lunatic fringe electronics

Re: OT: Interesting study about fake news

So if Hillary says it, it must be so?  Wow, that says a few things about
Trump, eh?

--

Rick C