OT insurance

I think it also generalises to most of the developed world. Aren't the basic income taxes in the USA also deducted by the employer before you get your pay?

And you also have welfare, unemployment benefits, etc., that come from this money (details of what goes to states, or countries, or other levels of government will vary by country). The USA also pays towards its health system from these taxes - I gather the USA pays more for health with public money than almost any other country, in addition to the massive costs of private insurance.

Reply to
David Brown

Yes, repeat no - as in most countries.

Income tax: yes. VAT: no. Vehicle excise duty: arguably. Bigger car or more cars or more polluting cars pay more. Fuel duty: no. For those with creative accountants and lawyers: no.

Where wouldn't they go to jail?

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Not sure what you are saying with some of these. We have gas taxes in every state I am aware of and many have a hefty car tax either when you buy the car or every year or both.

Go to jail for owing money??? Why does that make sense?

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

I'm answering your question "Is the tax proportional to your income...".

The summary remains "yes, repeat no".

Reply to
Tom Gardner

the

lity

more

every

he car

I thought you were a native English speaker, but either you must not be or you are not intending to communicate clearly at all.

"Yes, repeat no" is nothing I can make sense of. When I asked about paying for your insurance, you said, "It's a tax rather than a premium"... *A* ta x, not "it's paid for from the general tax revenue". Are you saying you do n't collect a "medical insurance" tax, rather it is paid for from the gener al tax fund?

Listing types of taxes followed by "no" or "yes" tells me nothing unless yo u explain what the "no" or "yes" are about.

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

It indicates the question is too simplistic and has multiple contradictory answers.

As in most civilised countries, taxes in the UK are not hypothecated.

The "yes" and "no" are answers to your *immediately* preceding question "Is the tax proportional to your income or other indicator of your ability to pay?"

Not difficult, I would have thought.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

You could have just said what you wanted to say rather than trying so hard to be clever and failing.

In this country they collect a tax to pay for Social Security. It is used for that purpose and has accrued a surplus over the years which is now being drained off by the much larger than planned for retirement aged population.

Likewise we have a "tax" to pay for Medicare which is our idea of universal health care but only for those over 65. However, we consider that to be a premium since it is optional. If you want the insurance, you pay the fee.

So it is not unreasonable to collect a specific tax to pay for a specific function. In fact, we have that in many situations. In Maryland they have a tax which is used to help pay for efforts to reduce pollution in the Chesapeake Bay.

Your "simple" answer was entirely inappropriate because you never explained that "a tax" actually referred to your entire taxing system.

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit