OT IEEE Spectrum on Anthropogenic Global Warming

The latest copy of the IEEE Spectrum - 5th February 2009 - just showed up in my in-box. It includes a link to paper in the Proceedings of the (American) National Academy of Science

which is currently available on-line.

If the IEEE sees this as something to publish in Spectrum, anthropogenic global warming may be rather less off-topic than some posters seem to think.

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen
Reply to

in

n)

Indeed, AGW is as on-topic as anything, in any forum. Without coordinated action soon we're all likely to be toast (soggy toast in many places) and, in retrospect, the possibility of idle chatter on the internet will seem like a quaint luxury.

-- Joe

Reply to
J.A. Legris

It's on-topic for those who want a decent future for their kids and grandkids. I'll assume that many EEs have kids and grandkids.

It's on-topic for young engineers, currently lacking progeny. I'll assume young EEs would like to live many more years.

Some of the denialists here use "off-topic" and "non-expert" at their whims. It's kind of humorous to follow their extremely fractured contexts.

Reply to
Charles

Gore Effect Cooling.

John

We are stuck with the problem of Ultra Rich Oilmen (and the politicians they own), NeoCons and "Fat ugly Americans for a Dead Planet". They are not in the majority but they are very vocal and exceptionally good at using public relations techniques to smear top world scientists. The same trick was used by big tobacco (and in fact some of the same players have worked for both).

These sophisticated half-truth denialist tactics were also used against the discoverers of the CFC induced ozone hole. But in that case a quick technical fix was possible and even fluorine chemists would like to live on the surface of the planet. The result was the Montreal Protocol on CFCs. You will still find plenty of conspiracy theories even now.

It doesn't do to overplay the threat from AGW. On the timescale of a century or so it is only going to cause the very poor to starve more frequently and low lying fertile land to be inundated by the sea. And the odd city with inadequate sea defences will flood more often too.

Unfortunately a lot of people live on the lowest lying land. The parts of New Orleans below sea level are probably not worth rebuilding.

I am sure they believe what they are writing. Or that when the time comes they expect God will hit the big red reset button in the sky. The Easter Islanders probably believed that too when they chopped down their last tree. No more trees no more canoes = much less fishing.

Human stupidity and short sightedness in managing natural resources in a technological society has many historical precedents. Previously the damage was only local but now we are in a global age.

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

up in

ican)

.

ic

I'm not surprised when Eeyore imagines that a localised spot of cold weather in England is evidence against anthropogenic global warming, but I had thought that John Larkin would have had more sense.

Here's a piece of - equally weak - evidence in favour of global warming

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

Of course it does. Big Al got a Nobel and made 100 megabucks.

One reason Bienville picked the site of NOLA is because the local indians didn't want it. Most of it was already below sea level, and the mosquitoes were worse than even the natives would tolerate. A couple of hundred years of pumping and building levees has made things worse. A few feet of sea level rise would be an incremental annoyance... pile a little more dirt on the levees.

Anybody with any sense would get out of there, for a lot of reasons, whether AGW is real or not. I did.

Anybody out there doing any interesting electronics?

John

[snip]

I am. But my hired gun status, under NDA's, keeps me silent :-(

...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | I love to cook with wine Sometimes I even put it in the food

in

Half is 10C colder than usual half 10C hotter. On average no heat wave.

Reply to
Raveninghorde

in

Why do you obsess on something that will never affect your life, that you can personally do nothing about, and that is plainly bad science?

Why don't you do something real, something that matters, something with tangible results? Something that involves soldering irons?

John

wed up in

merican)

l...

genic

em to

He can't. Slowman only do one thing, anymore; whine.

Reply to
krw

Ocean chemistry is changing (a food issue ... with additonal complications for the atmosphere) and polar ice caps are melting (a powerful greenhouse gas/methane issue). I hope you are correct about your 100 year projection, but I don't think that you are. There are identified positive feedback mechanisms that predict a much quicker and more disasterous result. The very rich and the very poor could finally be united in suffering.

Polemics have been around for quite some time.

Reply to
Charles

I assume that (the above) comment means that you are encouraging on-topic posts, and that you will restrict your posts accordingly?

Reply to
Charles

howed up in

(American)

tml...

pogenic

seem to

Has krw ever intiatiated a thread? He seems to be a clone of Michael Terrell, who can be relied to post a contentless me-too to Jim Thompson or John Larkin, but shows no other evidence of independent existence.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

wed up in

merican)

l...

genic

em to

I've no clear idea why anthropogenic global warming has captured my attention. Despite your - deluded - claim, part of the reason is that is actually very good science, where a whole bunch of unrelated evidence from areas as widely disperesed as paleontology and infra-red spectroscopy have been pulled together into a single interesting and - to my nieces and nephews - important synthesis. I pick up odd books on various different aspects of the case and enjoy seeing how the whole structure fits together.

You don't know what you are missing,

Oddly enough, I'm working on it. Anybody who could send me a copy of Baxandall, P.J, Proc I.E.E 106, B, 748 (1959) would help. None of the on-line libraries seems to go that far back - I've chased up four different sources so far. I should be able to get hold of it when I'm next in Australia, but that won't be before June. Obviously, the paper itself doesn't involve soldering irons, but - IIRR - it talks about "squegging", which I can't provoke in Spice. but have seen in real life, and the soldering iron will be called in to produce a little more real life.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

I'm wondering about the same question. Bill lives in NL like me. Half the country is already several meters below sea level. The higher parts sometimes have problems with flooding due to rivers that can't handle the water during the spring, but we're working on that.

The countries that don't have water management are in danger when sea levels rise.

                     "If it doesn\'t fit, use a bigger hammer!"
Nico Coesel

Ofcourse :-) Still wish I had more time.

-- Failure does not prove something is impossible, failure simply indicates you are not using the right tools... "If it doesn't fit, use a bigger hammer!"

Nico Coesel

What _sound_ scientific evidence is it that convinces you that sea levels will rise?

...Jim Thompson

The Democrat theory is that spend.. spend.. spend.. and government
jobs will bolster the economy and employment will improve. If that
were actually true, wouldn\'t France have the world\'s best economy?

Bill, what would you like to know about squegging? I assume you already know it is usually an undesired low frequency oscillation often caused by bias point shifts.

Also I am glad to see you have some exerience with PSPICE and have seen for yourself that the predictions of simulations do not always agree with reality.

Mark

Reply to
makolber

Bill, by the way, if you are working on tone control circuits, you might like this

Mark

Reply to
makolber