OT: I've found the problem

I hire people based on their ability to get the job done, not how they look.

--
mikko
Reply to

Ever seen Monty Python's lumberjack sketch?

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

I normally just tie it back like that, but I found it necessary to wrap it up in a bun while working on a recent job -- bending over a machine doing wiring.

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Website: http://seventransistorlabs.com

Certainly. We don't know what may be under those plaid shirts.

lunatic fringe electronics

Or taking Tylenol.

lunatic fringe electronics

I avoid hiring a guy, or a woman, who makes a big deal of their appearance.

lunatic fringe electronics

I go into shock if given Tylenol. Bad-ass stuff, should be banned. ...Jim Thompson

             I'm looking for work... see my website.

     Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions.

Yep. Someone asked why don't I wear suits... it detracts from my image of being a straight down-to-earth nuts-and-bolts engineer.

(As my wife has always advised our multitude of granddaughters... avoid the peacock... he's probably more in love with himself than he'll ever be with you.) ...Jim Thompson

             I'm looking for work... see my website.

     Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions.

So sexually aberrant someone apparently had to take the magazine home and make scans of the male models inside for intense study and group discussion purposes to determine just how aberrant it all is lol

Reply to
bitrex

Methinks the lady doth protest too much.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

"Sir, for this evaluation you're going to have to tell us what you see in the ink blot":

Reply to
bitrex

Den torsdag den 29. juni 2017 kl. 17.51.55 UTC+2 skrev Jim Thompson:

so you make a big deal about you appearance just in the opposite direction..

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

No. I don't have to do anything of the sort.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

In a typical engineering meeting I would not stand out at all... I blend right in, attire-wise... here in Arizona we call it 'dressy casual' ;-) ...Jim Thompson

             I'm looking for work... see my website.

     Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions.

I mean I wasn't asking you _personally_ it was just a witty tangentially related caption to go with the video

Reply to
bitrex

I don't react well to management. I once designed $200e6 worth of stuff for some jerks, and then they fired me for insubordination. The morons didn't realize that good engineers are fundamentally insubordinate.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Must be why so many Conservative engineers like to play with guns at home but never actually spent time in the military...

Reply to
bitrex
[snip]

Same here. In 1969-70 Motorola was in the throes of a major layoff and decided that the 'rule' would be that each department manager was to lay off 5% (or maybe it was 20%, I don't remember too well after 47 years ;-). I declined. I had a nice group of 5 young creative guys, none of whom I wanted to lay off. I dodged management for almost 6 months. One day they called me 'upstairs' and stated, "Today's the day Thompson, you _must_ lay off someone... to which I replied, "Alright assholes, it's me!"

Didn't go over really big with the wife, we had just moved into a new house, and had a newborn (our third child, Aaron, the software guru :-).

I headed up to Scottsdale to Dickson Electronics and was hired that same day to run their hybrid line. 4 of my 5 guys immediately quit Motorola and joined me. The 5th a few months later.

In 1973 I was canned for 'insubordination', for taking the hybrid line more commercial from military... I was making money... for some reason that displeased the 'management'.

Except for my stint in 1977-1987 as analog guru at start-up OmniComp (bought out by GenRad in 1986) I've stayed lone wolf ever since.

('Management' usually wear suits and ties... most all of them narcissistic peacocks >:-}

After watching "Genius" on cable, I was given Walter Isaacson's "Einstein, His Life and Universe" for Father's Day. Einstein was quite the rebel and insubordinate... I'm enjoying the book immensely... I'm almost 2/3 of the way thru the nearly 700 pages ;-) ...Jim Thompson

             I'm looking for work... see my website.

     Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions.

I found management at my first job far more interested in trivia and pathetica than actual work achievement. The 2 main things I learnt were a) large corporations are not where I wanted to work b) people could so easily be full of confidence and headed for a big fall, yet totally unable to see it. Sadly for them I was correct on that one.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I think it is more that the military does not pay a lot. And the military does not let it's members play with guns.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster