OT: I didn't know sandals were biodegradable.

I went shopping today at a swap meet and found a new pair of sandals that fit almost exactly right. So, I bought them and walked around for a couple hours and then one of the sandals started breaking apart. So, I looked at them closely and the entire sole of the sandals was breaking apart in little pieces. I guess they were 10 years old or more and still looked new, but nature had decided it was time for them to fall apart in an hour or so. I got my money back.

Reply to
billbowden

Yup, happens to even high quality walking boots too. Use them a while, then store for a couple years, and the soles fall off/break up. The remedy seems to be never to stop walking.

--
Regards,

Adrian Jansen
Reply to
Adrian Jansen

Because they wear out before the plasticizer evaporates.

Reply to
krw

Doesnt seem to be that simple. I have boots I wear occasionally, like maybe once every couple of months, and they seem to last for years, but I have had the same brand where I wore them a few times, then put them away for a couple years, bring them out again, and they fall apart on the next walk. Something to do with regular use. And certainly I wear out others, but that is just normal wear, usually the soles run out of tread well before the structure fails. I expect that.

--
Regards,

Adrian Jansen
Reply to