OT: hydrogen peroxide

Does anyone know of someplace online to buy small quantities of 30%+ hydrogen peroxide to experiment with PCB etching solutions? I have seen a few places but I really don't want to spend $150+ for 5 gallons...

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Supposedly, the beauty supply shops have this.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

I see 35% food grade online for about $35 a pint, but you need to pay a hazmat shipping fee of ~$28 on t0p of that.

--sp

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Can you not get that on amazon?

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

You might post your location. Might not help , but not likely to hurt.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

As others have suggested, beauty-supply stores sell hydrogen peroxide in a number of concentrations, for use as a hair bleach or "developer". Clairol Clairoxide is one such... I bought a pint of it at a local supply store. The MSDS lists peroxide concentrations in the 10-30% range... Clairoxide 40 is sold as the strongest of this line of products and I suspect it'd be the one at the upper end of this range.

Another possibility can be found at some swimming pool supply stores. The Bacquacil line of chlorine-free water treatment products uses hydrogen peroxide as an oxidizer to "burn up" organic contaminants. Bacquacil oxidizer is described in the MSDS as containing 27% hydrogen peroxide.

All of these products are "stabilized", to slow the breakdown of the peroxide. You'd have to experiment to see what effect these stabilizers might have, on the activity of an etching solution. They're definitely not "food grade". A well-stocked health food store might have food-grade peroxide although I don't know what concentrations they would carry.

I've made PCB etching solutions using ordinary 3% drugstore peroxide, and the low-concentration muriatic acid sold at hardware stores... quite a respectably fast etch. I've ever heard of people using 3% peroxide, and white vinegar, with allegedly good results.

What little, occasional etching I do these days, I've been doing in copper-chloride etch (basically, the "left-over" from a peroxide/muriatic etch, with air-bubbling and occasional addition of a bit more acid). I like being able to self-recycle the etchant.

Reply to
Dave Platt

20 vol or even 10 vol is fine for peroxide and HCl acid etch mixes. Only thing you have to remember is that it doesn't store at all well and can explode bottles. Ferric chloride is much easier to work with.

In this day and age asking for this stuff is likely to get you put on a terrorist watch list. Caution strong peroxide solutions will burn skin.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Chemically, that is burnt (oxidized) water... Price per ounce will be high,but stores with pharmacies usually have it.

Reply to
Robert Baer

About 30 miles south of Boston, Massachusetts.

----Android NewsGroup Reader----

bitrex

I haven't seen concentrations higher than 17.5% available there, but maybe I haven't looked in the right place.

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

It's probably illegal to buy concentrated H2O2 in Massachusetts... a police state second only to New York. ...Jim Thompson

We are well on our way to decriminalizing the stinky bud, however!

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Here's what the hair folks call 12% hydrogen peroxide:

To convert volume to percentage peroxide, divide by 3.3. More than 40 volume seems rare.

--Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Do you have a link? The high-test stuff seems to be quite expensive in general. I found a liter of 30% available on Amazon for $113 plus shipping.

I don't understand what "food grade" hydrogen peroxide means. Hydrogen peroxide isn't food...

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

In practice I suspect it means "contains hydrogen peroxide and water, without stabilizers."

There are a significant number of people who self-medicate with small quantities of "food grade" hydrogen peroxide, in the hope that this will eliminate certain types of pathogen from their body.

Reply to
Dave Platt

Way back I use to frequent the Stoughton diner and have fried clams. The Stouhton Diner is probably out of business by now.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Or more likely with a stabiliser that is food grade. Bottles containing peroxide without any stabiliser have a very bad tendency to detonate messily when the internal pressure exceeds the strength of the cap.

Accidents with torpedoes have happened this way due to rust.

Elephants toothpaste is a classic demo of how rapid, hot and vigorous its decomposition can be when provoked by a suitable catalyst.

Also diluted and used as a dental mouthwash under some circumstances or at least it has been in the past.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

I don't have the original link, but there are a bunch of sources in the $40 range (watch the shipping charges and restrictions)

(only $8 for 160ml but they ship to Canada only)

This one might work for you- more-or-less in your stomping ground:

($27 for 32oz, pick it up in Worchester MA)

You don't drink bleach?

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Wow, that elephant toothpaste demonstration is something. I think you're right about the stabilizer, thank you for explaining.

--

-

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Reply to
bitrex

If you mean the one on Washington street, I think it's still there, but under a different name:

This area is my old stomping grounds!

The McDonald's nearby at the corner of Central and Washington streets is supposedly historical, as I guess it was one of the very first locations in the state. It used to sport the old "giant arches" 1960s style sign where the arches rose up from the ground, until the mid 2000s when the location was remodeled and they tore them down in their effort to homogenize everything.

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/